PDA

View Full Version : Profile Fair Market Vlaue

Dave West
03-24-2010, 3:44 PM
I need the Fair Market Value of my Epilog Profile 25 watt for my taxes. It's over 10 years old but still going strong. I think the original owner said it was about 25K new. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Thanks,

Dave

Rodne Gold
03-24-2010, 4:51 PM
How much do you have it insured for?
Whats the e-bay price on this or a similar machine?
Is there new source?
Has it been overhauled?
Will it run with a modern OS like XP
How fast is it?
All these will affect price

What would I pay for a 10 year old medium to light duty used 25 watter ? Not more than $2-2.5k and even then I would be hesitant to buy a 10 yr old machine

Surely it has been depreciated to nothing after 10 years?
I suppose you could list it at any value depending how it affects your taxes and whether you claimed depreciation etc..

Dave Johnson29
03-24-2010, 8:20 PM
I need the Fair Market Value of my Epilog Profile 25 watt for my taxes.

The IRS depreciates computer based stuff over 3 years or non-computer based over 5 years. If you have had it over 3 years I don't like your chances of claiming depreciation. There are other periods for depreciation but 3 and 5 are the most common.

Just an old man's 2c worth. :)

Dave West
03-24-2010, 11:50 PM
It's for my business 'Tangible Property Use Tax'. They want new value and fair market value. I'm inclined to go about 2K for it now.

Dave

Mike Null
03-25-2010, 7:25 AM
A lot depends on condition and whether parts are available for the machine but I think the $2000-$3000 range is fair assuming the machine is in good condition.

Dan Hintz
03-25-2010, 9:10 AM
This would be considered non-computing capital equipment (despite its use with a computer), so the five-year rule applies. You're way past the first five years, so fair market value is all that matters, no depreciation... I would not value it for more than $2k.