PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for on a used DW735 planer?

Kris Laib
03-24-2010, 3:33 PM
Since I missed the recent super-clearance on the DW735s, I'm now looking at getting a used one on Craigslist. They seem to pop up every now and then for around $350, which seems to be a fair price (if I should hold out for cheaper, let me know.. I'm basing only on what I've seen in the last couple of weeks).

I've looked into the 734 as well, but at this point I think I've made up my mind that the 735 is what I really want.

Is there anything I should know about getting a used unit? They seem to have been around for several years, is there differences in model years, or common parts that go bad (aside from the knives) that I should be looking out for?

Thanks for any advice!

Nicholas Lingg
03-24-2010, 8:51 PM
Look for broken exhaust fans. When a knot lets go it'll take part of the fan with it. You'll have to listen to a new unit then you can tell if the fan has a broken blade.

John R Green
03-24-2010, 8:55 PM
Fire it up
Run some wood through it
If it comes out thinner, it works.
If you think it's a good price, buy it.
Take it home and start looking for your next tool.

Myk Rian
03-24-2010, 9:02 PM
Crank it up all the way and look at the rollers for scoring or chunks taken out.

Listen for bearing noise when starting and stopping.

Take a caliper, a 6" and 12" piece of wood with you. Run the 12" and see if it tends to turn while going through. Change speeds while it's going through to see if the transmission works.

Check the thickness on both sides of the wood after running it through.

Run the 6" through both right and left sides of the table. See if the rollers pull it through.

Jesse Espe
03-24-2010, 9:04 PM
At some point, there was a recall on some of them due to possible component failure, I believe.

Some background info here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32024

I tend to agree with John - fire it up and see what happens.

Cheers,
Jesse