PDA

View Full Version : Hello, New here have a bandsaw delimma

ran miller
03-24-2010, 1:37 PM
Hello all,

I've been reading various threads here for a while and decided to start one. So here's my dilemma- I recently acquired almost free a Delta 28-276, thats the 14" 6" resaw .75hp open frame model. I already had a Rikon 10-320 14", 6" resaw 1hp cabinet. So now I have to figure out which one to keep. The Rikon is definitely the nicer saw IMO, but it cant be upgraded to more than 6" of resaw, which I really would like. The Delta however, seems underpowered, but with a quick release tension lever and the ability to upgrade to 12" is attractive. I think it would also be easy to uograde the motor, but I'd like to keep things cost effective. Any thoughts opinions are certainly helpful.

Thank you.

John Grabowski
03-24-2010, 1:44 PM
I would sell them both and buy a bigger one...Is that a potential solution?

John G

Larry Schwenk
03-24-2010, 1:47 PM
You mention resaw capability; I once owned the Delta but even the 1HP is pushing the limit. Since you have'em...try'em. One may work perfect for your needs.

Always keep an eye open for a sale through...

Dan Friedrichs
03-24-2010, 1:48 PM
Hi Ran - welcome to the Creek.

I think I would consider how often you'd actually resaw more than 6". Trying to resaw 12" on that little Delta would be pushing it. It would be VERY slow going.

Rather than spend money on a riser block and larger motor, have you considered selling BOTH saws and using the proceeds to buy a bigger saw? For instance, Grizzly has a 2HP, 17" saw for $850.

Good luck on your decision-

Bruce Page
03-24-2010, 2:23 PM
I used to resaw oak up to about 8” with my old ½ hp Delta with riser. It took some patience but was doable. You should be able to do the same with ¾ hp.
You would probably need 1½ - 2 hp to resaw a full 12”.

Mike Cruz
03-24-2010, 4:24 PM
I would keep both! Seriously... Do a couple of simple upgrades to the Delta (swap out the motor for a 1.5 hp [either sell the old motor to help with the cost of the new, or use the old motor to make a machine for your shop like a sander or something], and put in the riser block) and use this saw for resawing. Keep your other BS with a fine blade on it for cutting curvy stuff.

Two BS's are invaluable in a shop, AND you won't have to worry about swapping out blades etc.

IF you can ONLY have one machine in your shop, I would consider selling both and getting something new that will handle both jobs. But this certainly would not be my first choice.