PDA

View Full Version : New requests

Fred Perreault
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I have to fill another order for Sam Adams Boston Brewery for their gift shop. Plates, platters, cutting boards and such. Sooo, I had to do some Spring cleaning in my shop. As a result, I had to make some room, and make some decisions. Regarding my thread of some time ago about old sandpaper, I finally bit the bullet and............ threw out the used stuff. It was very used, 2, maybe 3 times. And yes, I am aware that new, sharp paper works good, feels good, and looks good. I frequently experience just such results. But, I have a sandpaper-packrat mentality. But! I don't buy wood..!

Did ya' hear that John?

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Fred, congrats on the new order!! And, even more congrats on addressing your "sandpaper problem." But, if you think this is intended to make me get rid of some wood - it ain't gonna work!!:D:D;)

BTW, that was quite an accumulation of "still usable" sandpaper!

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Congrats on your order!

Just wondering if you took the time to check through all that paper to see if any of it still has any life left in it? :eek:

Have fun cleaning! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey Schlumpf.....Moderator's aren't supposed to get into these back-riding flaming matches! If Keith sees this you'll lose your SMC corporate jet privileges.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
What can I say other than it was a momentary lapse of sound judgment! Wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize the jet privileges cause I was planning on flying right seat next flight!

Brian Effinger
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, I thought I was bad with used sandpaper. You definitely take the cake there, Fred. :p Congratulations on the new order, and good luck with the cleaning.

And Steve, you should be ashamed of yourself! :D That was like giving a beer to a recovering alcoholic. :p :D

Paul Atkins
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
You could soak all the grit off, grind the pulp and make paper again, sieve the 'sand' and re-make your own paper. I assume that is just one of the many pails you have, right?

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Have you all noticed the lingering silence from Fred!!??!? After Steve's post, Fred has given second thought to the disposal plan, and is in the corner of his shop right now picking through the bucket of seemingly perfect sandpaper!:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Have you all noticed the lingering silence from Fred!!??!? After Steve's post, Fred has given second thought to the disposal plan, and is in the corner of his shop right now picking through the bucket of seemingly perfect sandpaper!:D

ROFLOL now that is funny John. Fred is probably doing a inventory as we speak.

Congrats Fred. I made that same decision about 6 months ago. Sandpaper I used on bowls seemed good enough for pens and mini birdhouses. I had to clean house as I had sandpaper everywhere.

David E Keller
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't you just move it over a grit? 80 becomes 120 then 240, etc.:D. Some of that may be soft enough to use as tissue.:eek:

Fred Perreault
03-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes, I was in a wee bit of a hurry when I accumulated what I thought was the trash. So, I have taken another look and saved 5 pieces that might be 70%, and numerous pieces that are nearly 15% of new. And that was after going through the other two 5 gal. buckets.
By the way, how big a contribution is needed to get to use the jet? And then what does it take for a corner office? Wash the grit of....? make new paper...? I may be insane but I am not foolish.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Those pics look way to familiar. I go through the shavings when I dump the cyclone barrel as well. Just in case.:)

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I may be insane but I am not foolish.Fred, this statement is proof of your sanity. I have always held the belief that the day one claims absolute sanity is the first day of their insanity!! How many "nuts" have you heard say - "Ain't nuthin' wrong with me! It's the rest of you all that's crazy!"

As long as you have doubts, you are OK!!;)

GLENN THOMAS
03-24-2010, 3:45 PM
You could always use it for TP.

Jeff Rich
03-24-2010, 8:11 PM
And just how is Sam Adams paying?
Black Lager is mighty tasty!
Congrats on the order!

James Roberts
03-25-2010, 9:41 PM
I believe Fred could sell that to the place where I work as a replacement for the toilet paper in the employee restrooms. It can't possibly be any worse.:eek:

Seriously though, I'm as bad a pack rat as Fred is. The "waste not, want not" mentality of my forbears lives on in my basement shop.

Roger Bullock
03-26-2010, 7:11 AM
Wasteful, that is just plain old wasteful. Now what are you going to use when you need just a small piece to flatten out the CA crack you just filled or need to bend a piece to get into that tight spot...... you don't plan on wasting a new piece do you?
OK I guilty of the same thing only difference is I use an old cardboard box. Emptied it out last week.

We'd like to see some of your turnings especially when you have them displayed in the Sam Adams gift shop.

Ken Hensley
03-26-2010, 8:20 AM
Fred,

I'm just as bad no buckets but a drawer and a large ammo box (use to house 40MM gernades) full of sandpaper remnants. Maybe one day I will build up the courage to throw it all away but I'm not there yet.:D

Ken