PDA

View Full Version : Who has built a shed?

Dan Mages
11-08-2004, 4:52 PM
I am wondering. Who has built a shed or storage building on their property? Do you have any pictures of it?

Thanks,

Dan

Jim Becker
11-08-2004, 5:33 PM
I have built two sheds from kits, but not on this property. Unfortunately, I don't own the one property any more and my parents acerage was sold over a year ago (and is three hours away...) In both cases, the job was easy. The only real advantage to the kits was some pre-cutting and a complete BOM without effort and at a little cost savings over rolling my own. I still made modifications relative to windows, etc.

Tim Morton
11-08-2004, 6:08 PM
I built a 10x18 shed that is attached to the back of my detached garage...simple 2x4 contrstuction and rough sawn pine boards with some old country style windows and doors...if i can find or take a picture of it I'll post it.

Perry Schmidt
11-08-2004, 6:48 PM
I built this shed...6 years ago? It was pretty easy. Got some 'sheds' book at Home Depot for ideas, then just put it together. I think the hardest part (labor wise) was getting the ground level and sprinkler system dug up and installed around the shed.

It's a 10x10, wish I would have gone 12x12. It's on 6x6 treated wood skid, standard 2x4 walls w/ 'plywood' siding for the skin on the studs. It's held up pretty well over time too. The best think I did was dig in an underground wire and ran power to it. Only two lights, but they are used all the time.

Hope this helps.

Perry

Tom Stovell
11-08-2004, 7:02 PM
I built a small storage shed in the lines of a Williamsburg outbuilding. It's small and used only for garden tools. Pretty straight-forward with a board and batten door, RS red cedar siding...matches our house and garage.

I'll try to post a picture if you are interested.

Tom

Marshall Harrison
11-08-2004, 7:32 PM
I built on ethat looked like Perry's only no window and 8'x10'.

Got the plans from HD and just bought the wood and other supplies. The hardest pat for me was getting the angles right for the roof trusses. Don't live in that house anymore so no pictures.

Bob Powers
11-08-2004, 7:39 PM
I considered building one a few years ago, but discovered that I could buy one delivered and assembled for less than I could buy the materials. Look in the Pennysaver or similar weekly newspaper for ads. The Amish build them too.

Chris Padilla
11-08-2004, 7:46 PM
Whatcha lookin' fer, Dan? Can you be more specific? I built one at my parent's house several years ago...could probably dig some pics up. I have two Tuff Sheds on my property now but they came with the house. :)

Ted Shrader
11-08-2004, 7:53 PM
Dan -

I built an 8'x12'. Straight walls, gabled roof (with overhang), vinyl siding, two small window, one 3-0 door in the end. Lumber rack in one half, lawn equipment in the other. What sort of ideas are you looking for?

It is dark now, but I could get a couple shots tomorrow if you would like.

Regards,
Ted

Steve Beadle
11-08-2004, 8:09 PM
I built this shed (with a little help from family) about six years ago. I got the plans out of a magazine. It is 8 X 10--smallish, I'll admit, but it fits my yard and my needs) and has a couple of lofts for extra storage. We also modified this plan and built a 12 X 12 version (with a regular people door instead of double doors) which is our new "pump house" at the family's property on the Oregon Coast. If you need the plans, I could copy them and send them to you.
This plan has ventilated soffits (sp?) and a ventilated ridge. It sits atop skids on concrete pads. The plan has one other feature that strengthens the framing, which is a (I can't think of the technical name) horizontal board let-in to the studs on the exterior side. I did not put any windows in my shed, although the plans do call for one.

Bob Smalser
11-08-2004, 8:12 PM
My own designs....the kids think I watched Lord of the Rings once too many times. ;)

Only the shingles, felt/flashing, window glass/screens, paint and hardware are storebought.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/46988140.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/72596304.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/72597083.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/72596388.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/46988154.jpg

Fred Voorhees
11-08-2004, 8:50 PM
Built this shed last summer. It was a sorely needed addition to the yard. Built it from scratch and it ran me in the neighborhood of approximately $1,500.00. Basic 2x4 construction with T-111 siding. The size is 8X14 and is used to store pretty much lawn and garden equipment such as a log splitter, pressure washer, fertilizer spreader, ladders, scaffolding and planking, my chainsaw and backpack blower and their accessories, a wheel barrow, etc. The thing is never going anywhere as it is anchored to the ground via concrete footings below two courses of concrete block. The darned thing was a blast to build and was worth every bit of effort that it took.

Mike Mortenson
11-08-2004, 8:54 PM
This is the shop i just built this spring. I did all the work myself with help from family and a few friends. Its 32 x 40 with 9' ceilings.

Jeremy Gibson
11-08-2004, 9:21 PM
I built mine from scratch - total investment was only about $700. It's 10' wide x 12' deep and has a gravel floor. I wanted to use it to park the riding mower (now for sale) and let the snow melt back into the ground instead of onto concrete. Siding is 1/2" ply with exterior paint and shingled with standard asphalt shingles.

Pic #2 is the reason I'm selling the mower. More power!!

Andy Haney
11-08-2004, 9:21 PM
I can tell you what kind of foundation NOT to put under your shed! :o You may want to talk to someone more qualified than I am about how much foundation is necessary if you intend for the shed to be somewhat permanent.

My back yard slopes, and I determined 4x4's (8, I think) set in concrete deeper than the frost line would support my 8 x 12 shed. Wrong answer! :mad: The lawnmower takes itself to the back these days.

I'm doubling the size on a reinforced concrete foundation/floor by next spring. My experience is that you can use a bigger shed than you think. Build as much as you have room/$ for.

Andy Haney
Ottawa, Kansas

Thomas Prondzinski
11-08-2004, 9:38 PM
I built a salt box style shed this summer,10x14

Tom

Tom Peterson
11-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Dan,
I built a yard shed about 6 years ago. Concrete slab foundation, rough cedar and roof pitch to match the house. I remeber the wife and I working on the proportions so that it looks right. 3 x 4 increments. (w x L). I wound up with a 9' by 12' with a mini loft. The roof is a 10/12 to match my house. Double french door on the front to let the tractor in and out. I'll email you a picture as I am not talented enough to put one here. (but I am proud of it)

Dan Mages
11-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I think some of my neighbors are right... I am going way overboard on my "shed." Its on a concrete slab, cedar siding and roof, french doors, and a few other excentricities. This is still a project in process, so this is not a gloat. I still have a bit of siding and trim left. What do you think so far?

Dan :D

Bob Smalser
11-09-2004, 1:49 AM
I see we think alike. Love the sleeping loft.

Tony Falotico
11-09-2004, 6:55 AM
I think some of my neighbors are right... I am going way overboard on my "shed." .............What do you think so far?

There is no such thing as overboard, some of us just pay more attention to detail than others !! :p

Jim Becker
11-09-2004, 9:23 AM
Honestly, Dan...I think your "shed" is wonderful. It has a lot of class and no matter how it ultimately gets used, it's going to remain a showpiece in your landscape.

Ted Shrader
11-09-2004, 9:31 AM
Dan -

Plenty of light inside, very functional. Can be used as a potting shed as well. I think the neighbors are just jealous.

Nice design.

Ted

Jerry Olexa
11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm coming into thread a little late but my 2 thoughts are:
1) Build it yourself! Its fun to create and personalize exactly how you want it!
2) Whatever size you decide, add a couple feet each direction.
Now that I see your results, you are doing that esp #1. Great job. The project reflects you! I love projects like that...

Chris Padilla
11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
LOL! It looks great, Dan! :) Sheds are fun...like mini-houses without most of the bother or expense...and they are never big enough. :D

Dave Richards
11-09-2004, 12:04 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p04c51b0706b0effc62c16e2f21123e18/fcf6d40b.jpg.orig.jpg
This was prior to finishing the door, landscaping etc. 8x12 foot floor, nearly 8' sidewalls. I designed and built it from scratch. If I'd had half a brain I would have put in a prehung door instead of building one.

Dan Mages
11-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm coming into thread a little late but my 2 thoughts are:
1) Build it yourself! Its fun to create and personalize exactly how you want it!
2) Whatever size you decide, add a couple feet each direction.
Now that I see your results, you are doing that esp #1. Great job. The project reflects you! I love projects like that...
I totally agree with making it as big as possible. I wanted to make this shed around 12x16 instead of 10x14. Unfortunately, the komrades at the politburo restricts sheds to 144 sq ft. Over that, and I need to provide full archetecual plans. But the whole attic area will provide a huge ammount of storage area. The front gable end that you see open will be a large door that will allow access for very large items like a ladder, canoe, etc... It should be big enough for my needs.

Lincoln Myers
11-09-2004, 3:16 PM
I am hoping to build this pole-frame shed this fall:

http://www.backroadhomes.com/noff/tcpole.html

The tool shed in the link above is the one I plan to build. 10x14 with 2 lofts. I think I will add an overhang/lean-to on the back for yard waste bags and/or firewood.

It will be my first time building with pole framing. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what type of floor I will go with just yet.

Steve Inniss
11-09-2004, 5:23 PM
Dan, I built a barn-type shed 12 x 24 that is now a woodworking shop at my cottage in Ontario. I took quite a few step-by-step photos to send home to Massachusetts. If anything would be helpful, let me know. -Steve

Frank Pellow
11-09-2004, 7:33 PM
I have built several, but none of them are nearly as good looking as the ones built by Bob Smalser and Dan Mages. Great design and execution guys!