PDA

View Full Version : Best book on building period furniture?

Will Brauneis
03-24-2010, 3:14 AM
I'm interested in making some period furniture in the future. I really like the federal style but i also like early american and chip and dale too. I'm looking for a book or two to get me started with some ideas on what i want to make and that go into great detail on construction especially the finer points like making moldings, inlay, etc... as i haven't done much of that. I need a buffet so i was thinking that might be one of my first projects so if there are any good plans for those in particular.

Thanks in advance
Will

George Sanders
03-24-2010, 6:06 AM
I have two books by Franklin H. Gottshall. They have a lot of colonial style projects.

Robert Rozaieski
03-24-2010, 7:10 AM
American Furniture of the 18th Century: History, Technique, and Structure (http://www.amazon.com/American-Furniture-18th-Century-Technique/dp/1561581046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269429526&sr=1-1) by Jeffrey Greene is a great book for history of the different styles and some construction techniques, as well as a few select exploded drawings (no dimensions, they're not plans, just drawings to help understand methods of construction). This would be a first choice for me.

The Winterthur books are outstanding for ideas. There are no construction drawings or plans, just pictures of different pieces, but there are literally thousands of them, so they are full of ideas. There are two I really like:

American Furniture: Queen Anne and Chippendale Periods in the Henry Francis Du Pont Winterthur Museum (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764314076/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0912724382&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16QA4Z62A4H2X4C050M3)

and

American Furniture: The Federal Period in the Henry Francis Du Pont Winterthur Museum (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764314068/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0912724382&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16QA4Z62A4H2X4C050M3)

Queen Anne Furniture: History Design and Construction (http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Anne-Furniture-History-Construction/dp/0942391071/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269429373&sr=1-2-spell#noop) by Norm Vandal is not in the Federal style you are seeking, but there are good construction descriptions.

Brian Ashton
03-24-2010, 7:19 AM
I have two books by Franklin H. Gottshall. They have a lot of colonial style projects.

I've got most of Gottshall's books and they are good books for all types of furniture makers.

Another book I find I'm always leafing through when I need ideas is Albert Sacks book Good Better Best. It can give you good insight into the subtleties of a piece.

Rob Young
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in making some period furniture in the future. I really like the federal style but i also like early american and chip and dale too.

Thanks in advance
Will

For Chip and Dale, consult one of the many anthologies of Disney characters... I think their style is of a more rustic bent than you might be after. :rolleyes:

If however you meant to say Chippendale, you can't go wrong with a copy of

The gentleman and cabinet-maker's director: being a large collection of the most elegant and useful designs of household furniture in the Gothic, Chinese and modern taste.

Which you can either purchase a reprint or see an electronic copy here:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/DLDecArts/DLDecArts-idx?id=DLDecArts.ChippGentCab

Rob

Willard Foster
03-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I would also recommend Queen Anne Furniture: History Design and Construction (http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Anne-Furniture-History-Construction/dp/0942391071/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269429373&sr=1-2-spell#noop) by Norm Vandal. I got a used copy from Amazon. It was even signed by the author. However, it was signed "to Richard" which isn't my name, but I didn't care.

Bill

Jim Koepke
03-24-2010, 3:29 PM
You may also want to look at the DVDs that Lie Nielsen offers.

They have a pair on moldings and another pair on inlay.

I have the inlay duo by Steve Latta. It has inspired me enough to make my own tools before I start doing inlay. The information on the DVDs is actually enough to give an idea of how to make the tools.

The how to on doing the inlay also makes me feel like it is something that is not terribly difficult to do.

There is a little explanation of the different motifs used on the federal style pieces.

jim

Mark Maleski
03-24-2010, 4:52 PM
Will,

Jeffrey Greene's book would've been my first recommendation too. For specific focus on the Federal Period, I think the Winterthur book is also a great resource. Two others I'd rate highly for your purpose:

Fine Woodworking on Making Period Furniture. This is a collection of articles from FWW's early hey-day, this is an excellent resource for learning about period furniture construction. Makes me sad each time I receive a new FWW issue. Out of print, but can be purchased cheaply.

Glen Huey's Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture: The Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide (Popular Woodworking) - though no federal period furniture, this contains lots of construction illustrations (photos).

Seems like you still need a recommendation that'll cover inlay technique. Maybe the LN DVD recommended above is your best bet. I've not viewed it, but I did see Steve Latta's presentation last fall at the local club and feel he's one of the best present-day resources on the subject.

Horton Brasses
03-25-2010, 2:19 PM
Glen Huey's books are great to get started. Projects that are doable with very good instruction. The Sack's book is practically the bible of style and proportion-I have a copy too-and it is great when you are getting advanced. Jeff Greene's book is also excellent-I think of it as mostly Newport Chippendale-Townsend & Goddard specifically.

Will Brauneis
03-25-2010, 7:46 PM
Thank you for all your input guys it has been very helpful! I decided to go with American Furniture of the 18th Century, Glen Huey's Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture, and Fine Furniture for a Lifetime. I'm really excited to read up on the subject and get started on a period piece(although i guess that means i need to finish the other 4 projects i have going :rolleyes:) Being able to construct period furniture with hand tools has always been my goal, i feel like my skills have finally gotten to the point where i feel comfortable attempting such work.