PDA

View Full Version : Going to D.C.

Donnie Raines
11-08-2004, 4:32 PM
Well...maybe.

My daughther has been asking for the last few months for us to make a trip to Washington. ....and to be honest I would like to do that. We would be doing this sometime in the Spring. For those that have been there, what did you think?...how was the cost?

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2004, 4:49 PM
Been too long ago for me Donnie. But if you can take the time to see at least part of the Smithsonian....it is well worth the visit. ;)

Ted Shrader
11-08-2004, 5:03 PM
Donnie -

We don't live too far from there and try to go on the weekends. The hotel rates are cheaper over the weekend - no business travelers then. The museums are a little busier on the weekends than during the week when. During the week there are still people touring (mostly in groups) so there are still some crowds. Try to stay someplace close to the metro (subway) so you don't have to drive and park all the time.

Have a blast.

Ted

Jack Hogoboom
11-08-2004, 8:02 PM
Donnie,

Definitely do it. I took my 4 kids at the end of July and it was great. My kids had a blast!! Take the DC Ducks tour. Amphibious boat tour that includes parking at the end of the runway at Reagan National and watching the planes fly in over your head.

There are reasonable places to stay close to the Mall, which has plenty of action between the Smithsonian and the government buildings. Make sure you order tickets in advance if you want to tour the Bureau of Engraving or the Capitol.

It's not cheap, but usually room rates are lower on the weekends. If you look around, some hotels have deals for kids (cheap meals, etc.).

Enjoy it!!!

Jack

Keith Starosta
11-09-2004, 6:55 AM
Jack, one of my eight year old son's favorite places in the world to go is that park at the foot of the runway at National. It feels like you can almost touch the planes as they go overhead. Drove past it this morning, as a matter of fact...

Donnie, it really is a great place to visit if you've never been before. We've been in Fredericksburg (about 50 miles south of the Mall) almost four years now, and my son still loves going up there. The advice you've gotten about hotel rooms is good. Just do some searching around, and you should find something fairly reasonable.

What jack said about the Bureau of Engraving and the Capitol also holds true for the White House tour, if you are so inclined. Those tickets go fast, so plan ahead. Hopefully when you are here the weather will be accomodating enough that you will get to walk the Mall from one end to the other. It's a heck of a hike, but the sights are very much worth it, IMHO. Be prepared for a fairly emotional experience standing in front of the Vietnam Memorial. I will never NOT get choked up looking at it. The new WWII Memorial is a thing of beauty!! One of the best thing about The District is that there are so many things to see and do that are free of charge (like all the Smithsonians & Monuments, for example) that it really can be a fairly inexpensive trip.

In essence, you will be very hard pressed to find a better experience for your kids, one that will teach them and enter entertain them at the same time. Do you and your family a favor and make the trip.

Let me know when, and maybe we can coordinate a Creeker Luncheon downtown somewhere. There are a lot of us around here... :)

Keith

Chris Lee
11-09-2004, 8:00 AM
Donnie,

You can't go wrong with a trip to DC. Spring is probably the most beautiful time of year in DC. As everyone has said there is plenty of free stuff to do here. Mostr of the costs come from the hotels and transportation. The subway will take you anywhere you want to go, and you should be able to find a decent place to stay near the metro. I live in Fredericksburg, but work in DC, so if there is anything specific you want to know, feel free to ask.

Chris Lee

Dave Moran
11-09-2004, 8:00 AM
Hi Donnie, The Smithsonian is an experience to not be soon forgotten. I chuckle when people plan to 'see the Smithonian' in 1/2 day it would take more than a week to see it all. The memorials the monuments are all quite impressive. Main word of advice is to use public transportation, as parking is difficult and expensive, and bring your walking shoes. There is so much nearby as well, Colonial Williamsburg, Annapolis Maryland, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg Pa it just goes on and on. Spring is a great time to come, before the heat of summer.

Donnie Raines
11-09-2004, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the information thus far. My daughther and I were on the net last night looking at all the places we wanted to go....and there were many. We thought that we could do it over a 5 day period....that looks to be rather ambitious to say the least.

Ken Robb
11-09-2004, 8:41 AM
Donnie,

If you are planning a Spring trip, go during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The city is really beautiful then.

Ken

Jim Becker
11-09-2004, 1:09 PM
If you are planning a Spring trip, go during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The city is really beautiful then.
Exactly what I was going to say when I read the beginning of this thread! Awesome time to be there, although it's also a popular time for folks that could reduce lodging availablity and up costs slightly. There is SO much to do in DC, you could make 20 trips and still have plenty to see!

BTW, if you want to visit Dubya's house, you may need to make arrangement way in advance through your Senator or Representative(s). I know they were restricting tours, but don't know if that was changed. They did say on NPR this morning that Pennsylvania Avenue is open again, but only for pedestrian traffic. (Security)

Dave Carey
11-09-2004, 1:10 PM
Don't miss the Spy Museum.

Donnie Raines
11-09-2004, 1:14 PM
Exactly what I was going to say when I read the beginning of this thread! Awesome time to be there, although it's also a popular time for folks that could reduce lodging availablity and up costs slightly. There is SO much to do in DC, you could make 20 trips and still have plenty to see!

BTW, if you want to visit Dubya's house, you may need to make arrangement way in advance through your Senator or Representative(s). I know they were restricting tours, but don't know if that was changed. They did say on NPR this morning that Pennsylvania Avenue is open again, but only for pedestrian traffic. (Security)
I was thinking I might hook with Kennedy and his buds for some tea and a few jokes......... :cool: