PDA

View Full Version : What gouge has a 3/8" diameter?

Brian Kent
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
3/8" or about 9.5 mm.

I am clearing the remnants of a chair spindle tenon out of a hole in the headrest. I am trying to carefully work the inside of the hole so that I give more room to slide in a new spindle without accidentally enlarging the exit point.

I can use a brace, a cordless drill, or a gouge.

If I use a gouge I want the gouge to match that 3/8" diameter hole. My first carving tool purchase was Pfeil Swiss made with long handle and I like the feel, so I'll stick with that line.

Thanks (and correct me if I should not use a gouge, please).

Brian

george wilson
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd suggest drilling out the center of the hole with a 1/4" drill.Then,take an 1/8" chisel,and pop off pieces of the tenon,using the hole to have somewhere for the pieces to go. With a bit of luck,you can pry the remnants off of the glue. Do you have a 1/16" chisel? You can make 1 out of an old thin jointer blade.

Brian Kent
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
I have a 1/8" chisel. I can make a 1/16 if needed out of an old marples chisel. I keep my marples around for when I need to make a different size or shape.

Mike Henderson
03-24-2010, 12:55 AM
The problem with a regular gouge is that the bevel is on the outside. To do what you want to do, you'd need an in-cannel gouge. I think George's technique is the best.

[To add to George's suggestion, what I've done is drill the hole off center. That way, you can start with the thin part of the tenon that's in the hole - to get that out easier. Then you can "enlarge" the hole by cutting away from where you've cleaned out the tenon. Once you get about half way around, you can usually pop the rest out in one piece.]

Mike

george wilson
03-24-2010, 9:50 AM
No doubt easier to drill the hole off center than to get it on center anyway when drilling end grain :)