PDA

View Full Version : Triton Router "Soft Start"?

Jim Eller
03-23-2010, 8:08 PM
I recently purchase the 3+ HP Triton router for my table to replace the 15 year old Hitachi M12V.

I really like everything about it but have a question about the "soft start".

Mine is more of a "delay start". You turn the switch on and there is about a half second delay and then it goes immediately to the selected speed with a lot of torque. I have a Bosch 1617 and a Freud 1700 and they both have a soft start. The Triton is nothing like that. It's just delayed.

I e-mailed Triton and they said maybe the speed control was going bad. All I can say to that is, I have not cut a piece of wood with it yet so I don't think anything is worn out.

Anyone else have this situation?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Eller
03-24-2010, 7:12 PM
Am I the only one who owns one of these things?:eek::rolleyes:

James Tilley
03-24-2010, 7:36 PM
Jim, I am a amature and not one to give advise but I have a new Dewalt 3 hp and it does the same thing you mentioned. I turn it on and about 1/2 second nothing, then it kicks on to what ever speed it is set to.

I have a friend that told me that is the way it is supposed to work.

I have used it for about a month and really like it.

John Coloccia
03-24-2010, 7:44 PM
I'm guessing you've just never used a big handheld that didn't have a soft start. 2HP+ is quite a handful when it kicks in all at once. Anyhow, mine seems to soft start, but it's not as noticable as some other routers I have. I have a cheap craftsman laying around somewhere that REALLY soft starts. It takes several seconds to get up to speed. It's quite annoying, actually, but with dust collection going and ear muffs on, I'm usually ready to cut long before it's spin up and it's difficult to tell when it's spun up.

Tom Esh
03-24-2010, 7:56 PM
My DW621 acts the same way. PC890 and Bosch trimmer start much slower. I also have a couple cheap CMans that seem to take longer to spool up than a 747 engine. There's no standard. Apparently anything slower than a direct connection to the motor qualifies as "soft".

Jim Rimmer
03-24-2010, 8:10 PM
I have a friend that told me that is the way it is supposed to work.
From other responses here, your friend may be right. But I agree with the OP, it doesn't seem right. I have a Freud and a Ryobi, both 3+HP, with soft starts and they do just that - start soft. Not like the Craftsman units described but a gentle ramp up that won't jerk it out of your hand.

Nathan Callender
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I think that's the way it's supposed to be. Some soft starts are a little more abrupt than others, but I'm sure that if it didn't have soft start at all, it would be a whole lot worse. I have a cman as well that has super soft start, but I've played with others that were just a lot harsher. I have disabled the soft start on my cman and when it's disabled, there is a big difference in immediate torque.

Walt Nicholson
03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I have two of the Tritons and am very happy. The delay/soft start is normal for mine. I have had other larger routers that were hard to hold with one hand when they started because of the kick. These get up to speed quick enough but no kick. Had them for about 3 years with moderate use and no problems so far. ;)

Larry James
03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I recently purchase the 3+ HP Triton router for my table to replace the 15 year old Hitachi M12V.

I really like everything about it but have a question about the "soft start".

Mine is more of a "delay start". You turn the switch on and there is about a half second delay and then it goes immediately to the selected speed with a lot of torque.

Jim,

I've have a Triton installed in a table and it has the same "scary" start you describe. Seems to be a common problem and has been posted on WW forums several times in the past. The router works so well, and is so easy to adjust when table mounted, that I live with it. Although, I tend to stand back :eek: when starting the router.

Larry

paul cottingham
03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
+1 to standing back when firing up my Triton. It starts like the OP says, and makes an odd noise when it starts to boot. But it works great in my router table.

Jim Eller
03-25-2010, 3:13 PM
This is from their web site and it says "soft start". http://www.tritontools.com/library/images/specification/330165.gif

Apparently their definition is different than mine......or Bosch......or Freud.

Maybe the delay is to give you time to really get a grip and hold on tight. Mine is in a table and the table doesn't spin when I turn it on so I guess I'm ok.

I really like the router for this application so I can live with it. I'll use my 1617 for hand held stuff.

Thanks to all for the info.

Jim