PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get swirl marks during arip cut

Kevin Blunt
03-23-2010, 7:45 PM
AARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Hello everyone,

I have tried setting up my tablesaw to eliminate the blade swirl marks that I am getting. I have tried everything that I know of.

- Set an MJ splitter with to elimate the workpiece from touching the back of the blade by .000" to .004"

-Tried Dimar saw blade stiffener

-Tried using featherboard

-Tried adjusting my own technique

After everything I have tried I am still getting saw marks. They are very minimal but they are there.

I have used a ridge TS2000, Forrest WWII, Freud Glue line rip, and some thin kerf combo blades from freud.

It is just driving me nuts that I can't eliminate them but I am sure I'll get over it. One pass with a plane or a sander usually takes care of it anyway. It is just frustrating.

So How about the rest of you. How often do you have saw marks after making a rip cut.

I own a Delta hybrid saw which I like except for this problem. Maybe it is quite normal to get these, I don't know. What do you think? What are your experiences and expectations from your saw and blades.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Lee Schierer
03-24-2010, 8:22 AM
Can you fix your poll? You have two duplicate lines and no option for those who occasionally get some slight swirl marks.:D

Tim Lundy
03-24-2010, 8:45 AM
Kevin,

Which way do the swirl marks run? This will indicate whether they are being made by the leading edge or the trailing edge of the blade or both. There are different causes and solutions for the various swirl mark patterns.

Quinn McCarthy
03-24-2010, 9:00 AM
No need to fear, Jointer man is here.

I never worry because everything I rip goes through the jointer.

Can't wait to see the results.

Quinn

Myk Rian
03-24-2010, 9:26 AM
Why are there 2 threads on the same issue?

Karl Brogger
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Never heard of kerf marks referred to as swirl marks.:confused: My finisher always complains of swirlmarks that are left behind by the sandpaper when using a random orbit sander.

Anything that comes out of the tablesaw is never a finished product for me, unless its a edge that isn't seen. Boxpats, toe kicks, very wide top or bottom rails, etc. In the case of face frame material it goes through the planer for sizing then is sanded once assembled, (the edges obviously). Door parts get sized, then sized again going through the shaper, then the edges are sanded on the edge sander.

Set it up so its not burning and call it good enough.