PDA

View Full Version : Pardon my vent, but

bob cohen
03-23-2010, 5:43 PM
I am so frustrated with hermanscentral, a mail order company that specializes in drills and drill bits that I just have to vent. I sent the letter attached below to their customer service, and while a cathartic experience in and of itself, it has not fully abated my frustration. Thus the posting here. Maybe this positing will have the added benefit of warning others who are considering placing an order with this company. I would of course be interested in hearing the experiences of others who may have dealt with this company. I would also be interested in learning of another suppliers of drill bits of rare sizes,e.g., 41/64 and 21/32. Thanks for listening......

To whom it may concern

I am writing to express my extreme displeasure with your company. I placed my first and only order with your company on 2/23/2010 (Invoice number HC107513). At the time I placed the order there was no indication that any of the requested items were not in stock and thus I anticipated delivery within about a week. After waiting more than a week with no delivery of any of the ordered goods, I called your company. The customer service agent was friendly on the phone but was unable to provide me with any shipping information , but said she would call me back with such information. She never did. I called a week later and again was told that someone would call me back. Again no one called back, so I called again. When I expressed my frustration to the customer service agent I was connected to some sort of supervisor, who was able to determine that one of more items were out of stock. He promised to call me back with more details the next day. I was anxious for resolution the following morning and called again. This time I spoke to someone who identified himself as the president of the company.

He was very nice, apologetic and accommodating. By the time I hung up, he had assured me that my items would ship the next day and that I would receive tracking numbers via email. He also told me that I would not be charged for shipping and 10% would be subtracted from the original invoice price. That was about a week ago. I never received the tracking numbers nor, of course, the ordered items. I called again today and was told that someone would call me back. My hopes were not high, but the same person did indeed call me back about an hour later. She told me that the items would ship today and that I would receive tracking information via email tomorrow. We will see, but I can tell you this: If I do not receive the tracking numbers tomorrow, I will post this letter on your web pages and anywhere else that I think might save future buyers of your products the frustrations that I have endured. If you have not actually sent the items yet I would appreciate a call back with an honest answer as to when the items might actually ship. I would also hope that you honor your promise to waive the shipping costs and at this would expect you to use fed-ex or some other express mail service.

Sincerely

Bob Cohen

Mr. Jeff Smith
03-23-2010, 5:48 PM
Hi Bob,

Never used them, but you may want to remove your phone number from this post. Good luck.

bob cohen
03-23-2010, 5:49 PM
glad you caught that

Myk Rian
03-23-2010, 5:53 PM
Try Grainger or McMaster-Carr

bob cohen
03-23-2010, 5:58 PM
I see that Grainger has both of the bits I need, albeit at a higher price. Should have gone there first. Use them before and do not remember any problems.

Rick Lizek
03-23-2010, 7:36 PM
Use www.mcmaster.com The sizes you mentioned in a twist drill are common. Mcmaster has the best online catalog for it's size and you can order up until 6 pm and it will ship the same day. I get my orders the next day as I'm within 100 miles of one of their warehouses and it's regular ground UPS. Mcmaster has been around over 100 years and doesn't even advertise.

Harry Goodwin
03-23-2010, 7:43 PM
I ordered from them once with no problems, Harry

george wilson
03-23-2010, 8:04 PM
About the same thing happened to me with Klingspor some time ago. LONG delivery time with No explanation,etc.. Haven't re ordered since,and I delete their "specials" emails.

Lee Schierer
03-24-2010, 8:33 AM
You made one mistake several times. Always, always get names for the people you talk to no matter what their title is. First of all they know you know who they are and second they know you can identify the poor performers to their superiors when you call or write back. If you can say that you "spoke with Mary Smith on 12/24/2009" then you will have a more credible story than "I spoke with someone about a week ago."

Your letter also should have been addressed to the President of the company by name and marked "Personal and confidential" on the envelope so that he actually sees it. Tho whom it may concern letters get handled by the same clerk that didn't call you back in the first place.:rolleyes:

Don Bullock
03-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Bob, thanks for the warning.

Lee, you made some great points about getting names and addressing the letter.

Rick, thanks for the tip on McMaster. I'll have to check them out.

Tom Welch
03-24-2010, 8:42 PM
Add another check in the column for McMaster-Carr. I've only ordered from them about 4 times, but I am always shocked how fast it gets to me and I live in Fla. Also the shipping is very reasonable.