PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley shaper cutters

Jeff Monson
03-23-2010, 3:28 PM
Grizzley really makes shopping for shaper cutters easy, just wondering if they are a good cutter for the money? I'm in the market for a rail and style set and a couple of panel raisers.

Philip Rodriquez
03-23-2010, 4:26 PM
Yep. I have several and they work like everything else. but I just do this for fun!

Peter Quinn
03-23-2010, 8:22 PM
I used one cabinet set at work. It was a rarely used profile purchased to do a single job for which a more expensive set was not in the budget. It was sharp, reasonably well balanced, and got the job done. It was also one of the smallest diameter sets I have ever seen, even for 3/4" sets (it was a 3/4"set), and as such was a bit more prone to chip out. It is possible I failed to step the speed up to 10K RPM's. I really don't recall. I just recall opening the box and thinking "Honey, who shrunk the shaper cutters?"

One value oriented manufacturer I have enjoyed using is Infinity. I have several of their shaper cutters for my home shop, and all have performed well. They are not at the rock bottom end of the price scale, but I feel they are a good value for cutters you will use often, and are some what more affordable than strictly industrial brands like Freeborn or LRH.

Jay Brewer
03-23-2010, 8:42 PM
I started out with Grizzly cutters, and for the price, they do a good job. I do agree with Peter on them being on the small side. Small diameter cutters have a steeper exit angle,making it more prone to tear out.

I have replace all but seldom used cutters with Freeborn insert cutters. The performance difference is night and day, but so is the price difference.

If you think you will use these cutters often, I would look at Freud or Amana, Both of them make a good mid range shaper cutter.

Dennis Puskar
03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I had Grizzly shaper stile and rail cutter, it was excellent, made a lot of doors before it needed sharpening.

Dennis