PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and a HF 34706

Richard Dooling
03-23-2010, 2:54 PM
Based on generally favorable comments here I just acquired the HF 34706 lathe. For $200 I figured it was time to jump. Other than a couple of minor points I am impressed in the few days I’ve had to use it.

I have a few questions though:

Are there any particular modifications to the basic machine that are popular?

Can this machine be modified to rotate slower as with the modification to the Jet 1236? It appears that the pulley/belt relationship is maxed out at the low end although maybe a different belt would work.

Anything in particular to watch out for in terms of machine quirks or dangers? Is the swing arm on the tool rest a kill-me-quick or safe within limits? I’ve also read that using the outboard tool platform is risky.

The tail stock and head stock are well aligned horizontally but are a hair off vertically with the tail stock being a bit high. Any suggestions? I don’t see anything in the manual.

What is the threading on the outboard spindle and why is it threaded? I thought I might attach a hand wheel there but I'm reading that it's non-standard.

Any clever ideas on the lack of an indexing system? I was thinking that if I can attach a plywood hand wheel then I can drill holes in it that would engage an indexing pin mounted on the headstock.

I’m familiar with the reeves drive and know to keep it clean and lubed. I’m also planning on getting the NAPA drive belt replacement recommended by John Keeton. I guess that the admonition in the manual to turn the machine to its lowest speed setting before turning off is for safety and to ensure that larger heavier projects won’t tax the motor on start up.

So, do I sound like newbie now?:confused:

Any info is appreciated, thanks,
Richard

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 4:44 PM
Richard, congrats on the new lathe!!!

From what I understand about the 1236 low speed mod, in order for it to work you must still have a little slack on the low end of your speed handle. In other words, after it engages in the slowest speed, will the handle still go a little beyond that? If not (and mine would not) then I don't think drilling another detent hole will help because you could not engage it.

My headstock and tailstock aligned pretty well, so I didn't get into trying to figure out a fix for that. However, from what I recall, there is no way to adjust either the headstock or tailstock vertically, though it may be possible to shim the headstock. That would be more likely than trying to lower the tailstock as that would seem to require removal of material from the base. I suppose one could draw file the base, though. How much is it off?

Didn't have mine long enough to address the other questions. I do think you will enjoy the lathe. It is a good little machine, and is very capable of producing some good work. I sold mine for $150, and it was the best $50 I ever lost on a tool......well, perhaps not as that was several hundred dollars ago!!!:D:rolleyes:

David E Keller
03-23-2010, 9:04 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, Richard. I wish I knew anything about it, but I've never turned anything on that lathe.

By the way, Mr. Keeton meant to type thousand instead of hundred in the post above I almost sure.:D

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 9:52 PM
By the way, Mr. Keeton meant to type thousand instead of hundred in the post above I almost sure.:DWell, "several" is a broad term, and I guess could be inclusive of larger sums!!??;)

Steve Harder
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Richard - I would echo John's comments. Don't try to turn projects that are too big for the lathe, spend the time it takes to balance blanks before turning, and the HF will provide you with lots enjoyable hrs in the shop.

I did put plywood 'skins' on the side of the legs to stiffen the stand.

The swivel headstock, used conservatively, is a real plus. Turn the head slightly away from you to get better access to head end of a blank on a faceplate, or slightly toward you to see into a bowl you are hollowing.

I sold mine for $145 to someone who is getting great use out of it. By the time you tire of the HF you will done enough turning to really know what lathe you want to move up to -- in my case it was a Nova 1624.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Zero experience with that model of lathe - so can't help there. Just looking forward to seeing some photos of your work!

Bob Hampton
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Richard
Congrats on the lathe!
I turned on one of those for over 10 yrs and it did all i wanted to do ...
You have already hit on some good changes to make it a little better..changing the belt...and the speed mod..the only other thing i did was to build a heavier stand and added some weiglht to it .
DO NOT use the banjo extension in the outboard position unless it is supported underneath with a 2x4 or 2x2 the bouncing that u will get from out of round blank will make it break at the banjo and that is a costly replacement. (was there twice)
Oh one more thing...ck all the allen screws on the reeves drive and on the spindel shaft ..they tend to work loose sometimes
good luck and have fun
Bob

Richard Dooling
03-24-2010, 4:23 PM
Thanks everyone,
John, I think I will try to shim the headstock first but the amount is minor enough that I don’t think it will be an issue. Heck I’m sure this is heads and shoulders above what my forebears had to work with. I did also find some good info about this lathe on another forum. I’m really hoping to have time for the shop this weekend. I’m in a very small space and bringing in a new tool means I have to move other things around.

Steve H., that’s an interesting idea to stiffen the stand. Are you suggesting turning the head to a point between the presets? That had not occurred to me but the head should still lock so that’s interesting too.

I think that pictures may be a little while in coming Steve S. I’m just starting out in turning and feel a little intimidated by the really fine work I see here. I have been playing with some marking knife designs though. Maybe that will be my first picture post.

Bob, I figured the banjo might be a bit of damage or an injury waiting to happen. Thanks for the tip on the pulleys.

So you were able to make the speed modification? It looked like there was no way to move the arm further but I’ve really just started exploring this machine.

What do think of the tool rest with the extension arm? I’m concerned that over extending the arm could provide a tricky amount of leverage in the case of a bad catch.

I’m also looking to see if anyone can absolutely confirm that the Jet 1236 handwheel will fit this.

Richard

John Keeton
03-24-2010, 4:47 PM
Richard, as an afterthought, I never used my banjo extension. I removed it day one, and had to dig it out of a drawer when I sold the lathe.

On mine, I could not do the speed change - not enough play left in the mechanism.

Have fun!!