PDA

View Full Version : Trailers form Harbour Freight

Stephen Stark
03-23-2010, 2:43 PM
I was checking out the trailers on this site and thought for the money they don't look too bad. I realize that you have to assemble them and the tires are likely Chinese rubber but for a light duty work could be just the ticket. Anybody have experience with these, good or bad? And what's with the maximum tow speed of 45 MPH (as in the manual). Somebody just covering their fanny? Thanks
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92174

Dave Johnson29
03-23-2010, 3:54 PM
Hi Stephen,

I have a smaller one and it seems OK. A friend bought it to haul some stuff then gave it to me, that was about two years back. It sits in the yard here and gets used quite a bit and also loaned to neighbors. The steel is more than adequate for the loads it is rated for. It is well made, the lights all work and overall it seems a good thing.

The tires seem OK and it depends on the speed rating of the tires. These are 12" with "High Speed" on them but no actual speed rating. A sticker on the rim says max 55mph. The tires are limited to 870-lbs at 60-psi.

You could always get higher rated tires as the rims are standrd sizes. Look for trailers with the largest diameter rims as the smaller the tire diameter the faster the wheel has turn.

Larry Frank
03-23-2010, 8:39 PM
I bought a 5 x 8 trailer with a tailgate ramp a number of years back when the kids were in college. I bought mine from one of the trailer mfg in northern Indiana and got a good deal. I think that it is one of the best things that I have bought and use it for everything from hauling furniture, wood, and my lawn tractors. Get a good one and it will last for years.

Rich Stewart
03-23-2010, 8:39 PM
I had one. Works great. I sold it as after a while I hardly ever used it, but while I had it I used it for everything, Motorcycles, wood, yard debris, small boat. Can't really go wrong for the money. I had a smaller one with a 1100 lb rating. The floor was a 4X8 sheet of plywood. 299.00. I think I got it from Northern. Folds in half for easy storage up against a wall. Make your own side rails.

Dave Lehnert
03-23-2010, 9:47 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of building a teardrop trailer. Been reading some of the forums. Over there the Harbor Freight units are considered to be a very good bargain. Of course they also talk about another brand that is better built. Have not looked into them but here is the link if you want to compare.

http://www.redtrailers.com/

Stephen Stark
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
What forums were you refering to? I'd be interested in reading some of their opinions.Thanks Stephen

Rick Davidson
03-24-2010, 2:22 AM
I also have one bought it a few years ago, but not from HF. I use it all the time haul wood, go to the dump, riding mower, lawn debris what ever. Well worth the money. When I put mine together I never planned to fold it so I didn't add the parts for that and also the deck is one solid piece so does not allow for it to fold.

Jim Mattheiss
03-24-2010, 8:44 PM
I need to consider a little trailer. I just put a Class III receiver on the Mini Van. We did that to carry a hitch mounted bike rack but I was surprised at the towing capacity of a Chrysler Town and Country.

A wood guy I know was surprised it could fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the hatch closed. You have to run the drivers seat up a little but it's doable.

I do have access to some utility trailers at LOML's work but having on at home for quick runs is great.

Cheers

Jim

Craig D Peltier
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I had a 4x8 one that folded in half just like these red ones. Got a quite a bit of use out of it until bearing locked up on wheel.I luckily had an old set of wheel and axle so I just replaced. Tired too small. I did used to tow it going 65 or so though without any issues.
When bearing locked i had a 700lb planer on it.

I wouldnt buy again. Theres many trailers under 1k that work great and have 15 inch tires.