PDA

View Full Version : up the CREEK without.....

Stephan Larson
03-23-2010, 1:30 PM
Well all,

I'm fairly new to the creek but not to the VORTEX just different veins. I was working 2 weeks ago on a bowl blank and the bandsaw burned up so last weekend decided to work some pens for the Freedom Pens. Well then the drill press totally froze and then went up in smoke. So now I'm looking for both and want to buy just once. I do some resawing /cabinet work so a 2 or 3 hp bandsaw I think. But the drill press is the one that has me wondering. The drill press and bandsaw are both used when I got them (craftsman) and the capacity of both isn't what I need (10" bandsaw and 1/2 hp drill press). What I'm hoping from ya'll is what has and hasn't worked for you. I have bent Bernie's ear a few times asking him this question but since my drillpress failed I thought I would ask everyone again. Thanks for your help, wisdom and tapping into your experiences.

Stephan (Steve) Larson

Richard Madison
03-23-2010, 2:39 PM
Might want to ask this in the General Woodworking forum too.

Steve Vaughan
03-23-2010, 2:54 PM
I have the delta 14" bandsaw that's now about 25/30 years old...last year I put the riser block and carter guide bearings on it...have been very pleased with it. As soon as I can find one, I'm gonna put a horse or horse and a half motor on it. I got the Steel City drill press last year, and I've been very pleased with it.

Steve Mawson
03-23-2010, 5:04 PM
I still use my 1982 Shopsmith for drilling. Bought a Ridgid 14" BS couple years ago. Not over powered but does ok on 220.