PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get Woodturning magazine?

Brian Effinger
03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
The one from Britain.

If you did, do you get it directly from the publisher in the UK? Or did you get it from Lightning Publications here in the US? After picking up a copy at Barnes & Noble recently (for $9.50! :eek:), I have been thinking of subscribing. If the US source is legitimate, I'll go that way, because with my luck something will get screwed up if I get it direct from England.

Thanks.

Brian

Jason Clark2
03-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I've picked up a few copies locally and ordered a subscription via Lightning Publications last month. Haven't received my first issue yet. If I remember correctly they list Lightning Publications as the US distributor in both the magazine and on the website. That made them legit enough for my order.

Jason

Gordon Seto
03-23-2010, 1:20 PM
No problem with Lightning Publications. They arrived nicely in plastic bags.
It used to be fifty something dollars a year. I know a guy put his past Woodturning magazines at the auction site. He got forty something back for a year. He said the net cost was a bargain.

Lance kanaby
03-23-2010, 3:25 PM
I have been receiving Woodturning magazine for several years from Lightning publications. The magazine arrive in a nicely sealed plastic bag so there is no damage. Lots of English oriented woodturning, but still worth the money.

Mark Hubl
03-23-2010, 4:00 PM
Not to take this off topic, but just a heads up. For those of you that are AAW members and haven't checked out the member area recently, the AAW has put all the copies of American Woodturner on-line. From 1986 to the current issue are available on-line. I have found it to be a great reference and I am enjoying reading the articles. End of shameless plug, carry on.

Brian Effinger
03-23-2010, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I figured they were OK, but wanted a little verification before I gave them 75 bucks.

Mark, thanks for the heads up. I knew about it, but I don't think anyone has posted that here. So if any of you haven't checked it out, you should. While you can't print articles (at least not easily), it is very legible - in fact it looks like the actual magazine with turning pages, ads and all.

And Lance, I hope you're doing well and can make it to Pembroke's next meeting. Although, I'm doing the demo on photography, so maybe you do want to skip that one! :rolleyes:

Thomas Canfield
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I just recently signed up after visiting Kelly Dunn and seeing his picture on the cover. I wanted the magazine, and had to get a subscription through Lightning to get the it at the Barnes & Nobel. It does have some good articles in it when you get past the metric. A lot of the ads are for England so not of much use except to see how the rest of the world operates. Definitely a good read.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
I get mine from Lightning Production with now problems.

Mark Hubl
03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Brian,

It is not too hard to print, you can print two pages at a time. If you bring your cursor over the article and then to the top of the screen a pop up menu appears with a printer icon. Choose the printer. It let's you print L or R or L&R pages that are displayed. Most articles are only 1 - 4 pages so not to big a hassle. You can't save the mags or articles. There is also a PDF index of all articles that you can search to find stuff.

Brian Effinger
03-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Brian,

It is not too hard to print, you can print two pages at a time. If you bring your cursor over the article and then to the top of the screen a pop up menu appears with a printer icon. Choose the printer. It let's you print L or R or L&R pages that are displayed. Most articles are only 1 - 4 pages so not to big a hassle. You can't save the mags or articles. There is also a PDF index of all articles that you can search to find stuff.

Thanks Mark. :) I hadn't noticed that at all. :o And here I was thinking that I would have to hit the "Print Screen" button, and then paste into photoshop. I always seem to over complicate things.

Dick Mahany
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I've been a very happy Woodturning subscriber with no problems. About a year ago, I replied to Mark Baker's editorial question about the increase / decline of woodturning in general via an email to the publisher. Much to my surprise, they published my letter in a subsequent issue. I was surprised to see my Californian's perspective in print in a Brirish publication and was impressed that they are truly engaged in reaching a wide audience. The content has always been very high quality and I look forward to each issue.