PDA

View Full Version : Wagner conversion gun?

bruce buren
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Anybody have any experience good or bad with this gun?

M Toupin
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I've had one for 3-4 years now and put more than a few gallons through it. 99% of the time I spray bulls-eye sealcoat dewaxed shellac & Target EM6000 and it works fine straight from the can. It's a non-bleeder so it takes minimal air, even a small pancake compressor will run it as long as you don't push it hard.

Mike

bruce buren
03-23-2010, 1:54 PM
thanks Mike

Bruce

Jim Becker
03-23-2010, 7:46 PM
I've had mine since sometime in 2003. I have both the 1qt standard gun and the 2qt remote pot version. Very pleased with it.

bruce buren
03-24-2010, 4:36 PM
thanks for the response Jim, got it on order

Thomas Knapp
03-24-2010, 5:46 PM
I see you ordered one. I have one and let a friend use it now he has bought one also. I have sprayed shellac, lacquer, and water based finishes through it. I even thinned down some exterior acrylic latex and sprayed my shutters with it.

Doug Hobkirk
03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
The "article" on the Gleem web site suggests a compressor setting of 40 psi and a setting at the gun of 18 psi. My compressor (old, no instructions, 11 gallon, ? HP) produces 100 psi. Should I plan on changing the pop-off valve or the electric governor (I don't know if these are the correct terms)?

Thanks

Phil Phelps
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
The "article" on the Gleem web site suggests a compressor setting of 40 psi and a setting at the gun of 18 psi. My compressor (old, no instructions, 11 gallon, ? HP) produces 100 psi. Should I plan on changing the pop-off valve or the electric governor (I don't know if these are the correct terms)?

Thanks
I don't think 40 psi will do it. Notice that gun has an inline regulator on it. All conversion HVLP's should have one. Larger compressors pressure valve is set at 120. Your hose conected regulator should be set around 70 psi. You then tweek your gun from the inline regulator. An 11 gallon compressor is going to run constantly. The HVLP uses a lot of air. The low pressue is at the tip of the gun, not the regulator.

M Toupin
03-25-2010, 1:48 PM
The "article" on the Gleem web site suggests a compressor setting of 40 psi and a setting at the gun of 18 psi. My compressor (old, no instructions, 11 gallon, ? HP) produces 100 psi.

Doug,

There's a lot of confusion on HVLP guns, so let me see if I can clear up just one aspect. There are two types of guns, bleeder and non-bleeder. Bleeder guns allow the air to continually flow through the gun, even when you're not pulling the trigger to spray finish. These guns take a lot of air as you basically have an open airline that continuously blows which your compressor has to be able to keep up with.

Non-bleeder guns on the other hand shut off the air flow when the trigger is released much like the traditional spray guns. That means the only time the air is actually flowing is when you pull the trigger, so your compressor only needs to provide air when the trigger is actually pulled.

The Wagner you have is a non-bleeder; hence it takes a lot less air.

As to your compressor question, your compressor should put out a set PSI which it charges the reserve tank to, 100PSI in your case. You need a regulator on the output side of your compressor (which comes out of your reserve tank) to regulate how much pressure you have in your air line. The "40psi" they're talking about is the pressure in the air line feeding your gun up to the handle.

The 18psi is set on the little regulator on the handle of the gun and controls what actually goes into the gun. It's a 2 stage system. The reason is to two fold, first, long hose runs will tend to reduce the output at the end. Second, the little regulator is only 30psi IIRC, and feeding it 100psi would blow up your little regulator.

Hope that helps, once you get it figured out I think you’ll really enjoy the gun!

Mike

Doug Hobkirk
03-25-2010, 3:23 PM
Thanks, Mike - what a superb answer!

trevor adair
03-25-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Anybody have any experience good or bad with this gun?

As others have said this is a great gun. I have used mine for several different finishes with nothing but great results.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to call Gleem, Their customer service has been second to none the few times I have needed them.