PDA

View Full Version : Flame polishers, still happy?

Dave Johnson29
03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi All,

As can be expected, when the flame polishers were being bought I thought I would never need one. Just got a job of over a 1000 units and all are going to need edge polishing.

I have the MAPP/Oxygen working on samples but for a 1000 units, it is going to get expensive for MAPP gas.

Is everyone happy with the Chinese units?

Problems?

Pain to use? By that I mean keeping the water up to level and the electrolysis percolating nicely and consistently. How frequently do you need to add water for a long and continued use.

I am thinking of getting compressed Hydrogen, but it will cost about the same as one of the Chinese units.

Any units for sale?

Thanks

Mark Winlund
03-23-2010, 1:16 PM
They work well and are easy to use. You can rent a cylinder of compressed hydrogen from welding suppliers. One small tank goes a long way. Obviously, you will need an oygen cylinder as well. I suggest you buy a small welding oxy-acetylene out fit for your shop; they come in handy frequently. Tell the boss that you need one, and will die without it. The next time you need some muffler work done, it will pay for itself.

Mark

Dave Johnson29
03-23-2010, 1:47 PM
Thanks Mark,

What is the longest continuous period of time you have used yours for? I am thinking 6 to 8 hours at a stretch for maybe a week.

I have several oxy sets already and I don't like renting anything. I have 4 arc welders all with their own gas bottles and a couple of spares with various gas mixes for TIG and MIG. Another bottle sounds like a good plan to me. Cain't have too many toys. :D:D

Mark Winlund
03-23-2010, 4:33 PM
Thanks Mark,

What is the longest continuous period of time you have used yours for? I am thinking 6 to 8 hours at a stretch for maybe a week.

I have several oxy sets already and I don't like renting anything. I have 4 arc welders all with their own gas bottles and a couple of spares with various gas mixes for TIG and MIG. Another bottle sounds like a good plan to me. Cain't have too many toys. :D:D

I have played with it for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch; it doesn't need much attention. The water level changes very little ( I have yet to add any). The chemical that goes in with the water (sodium hydroxide?) is not consumed, it is there to increase the conductivity of the solution (I think!). The alcohol does get used up, but very slowly.

Remember with tools, need has nothing to do with it.... want is everything!

Mark