PDA

View Full Version : Another Breathing Protection Reminder and Question

Mike Minto
03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
As I already posted, I have been delinquent in wearing my Trend Pro - not anymore. I've been wearing it alot lately, but wish I had worn it more in the past. I've been to see an ENT doc recently, and he has diagnosed me with a reflux (GERD) problem, even though I feel no heartburn. However, I have found no relief in the med I've been taking, really, but after 2 days with no shop time, my throat is feeling MUCH better. I feel that my problem ('ratty looking' vocal cords, believe it or not) and some redness and swelling in the throat has been caused mostly, if not entirely, by inhaling way too much wood dust when sanding and cleaning up the shop, since I don't wear the mask when sweeping/dust panning. Some of it may well be stomach acid hurting my esophagus, but I really think the spalted wood and fine dust I've foolishly been breathing too much of has caused most of the problem. I"ll be wearing my Trend more, as well as setting my dust collector up to be near where I'm turning, as well as any other air cleaning methods I can come up with (I'd love to hear how you guys keep the fines down - that's the question part here :o). I also have the ceiling mounted air cleaner running more these days. Thought I wouldn't be bothered by airborne dust - foolish me - I'm not invincible.

Scott Lux
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been using my Triton like I should. Think I'll change that.

Steve Vaughan
03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Ditto on the thanks and reminder. Over the last few years, I have gotten more and more careful to always wear a dust mask when making dust and shavings. And, I'm wearing ear plugs all the time when equipment is running. Don't forget about them ears!

Darryl Hansen
03-23-2010, 3:43 PM
All Pro tools has the Trend Pro on sale now.

Karl Card
03-23-2010, 3:57 PM
I am glad you mentioned this. In the past I was having severe headaches... you have to understand for me to have one headache a year is out ofline, i just never have them. Well I have started drinking alot of coffee and thought it might be that... well over the winter and not having heat in the shop I have not had a signle headache, well a couple of nights ago i went to the shop and planed 4 carving boards and before i left the shop i had a headache so bad i wanted to stick a pin in it to relieve the pressure. I took my allergy pills and it finally left early the next morning so YES I will be wearing my respirator 100 percent of the time in the shop...

Robert Parrish
03-23-2010, 4:43 PM
Let see, I have a Trend, 2 Dust Collectors, air filtration and a face shield, today I found myself turning with none of those on! I guess I need to take safety more serious. Sometimes I just get too involved in the project and don't THINK.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Mike glad you brought this up. I wore the regular Trend and kept smelling the wood when sanding or cleaning. So I ordered new filters. It didn't do any good. I went to the Doc 10 days ago for a bronchial infection which she said she is pretty sure it was from wood dust. I haven't been in the shop for 10 days now. She told me to stay away for a while and get rid of this infection. She said it may take a month to get over it. So I ordered the 3M Airstream AS-400 but haven't had a chance to use it because I have to stay out of the wood shop. The Doc doesn't even want me cleaning it. I also found out our local grain elevator now makes the Airstream mandantory for all employee's. I have found myself not running my air cleaner and DC all the time. After this no more.

Bob Borzelleri
03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I, too, go back and forth while I'm turning. For sanding, I'm much better at putting on the Triton and sticking a 6" hose off the bed of the lathe.

After turning a cypress bowl, I recall having a "taste" of peppery stuff in my nose and had to go and irrigate my sinuses. I wasn't wearing the Triton (with Lexan shield and hard hat) when said bowl decided to come apart. I stood to the side while it got up to speed and it broke up before I would have moved into the potential line of fire.

So, in addition to protecting my breathing system, I think the benefit of a shield (and in my case, a hard hat, too) ain't a bad idea.

Don Geiger
03-24-2010, 6:56 AM
Dear Fellow Woodturners:

I have worked in the air pollution field for 37 years, specializing in the sampling and analysis of air contaminants.

You should always protect yourself when working with wood. Spalted woods can contain dangerous spores, inhalation of which should be avoided without compromise.

When looking for dust collection and personal protection equipment it is important that you look at the particle removal size specifications.

The size range of dust particles inhaled by humans are10 μ (micron) in diameter and less. One micron is equal to one millionth of a meter. So the inhaleable size is 10 millionths of a meter in diameter and less. The hairs in your nose and mucus located in your sinus cavities and throat effectively remove particles between 10 μ and 2.6 μ. The particles collected are expelled by blowing your nose, coughing etc. Particles 2.5 μ and smaller enter the lungs and can deposit into the alveoli (tiny sacks) in your lungs. These can cause severe health problems.

The best protection is provided by devices that remove 1 μ or less. Look for devices approved by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

If a dust mask etc. states that it is for protection from “nuisance” dust, it’s not been proven sufficient to protect your health.

Change your filters often. Also, making sure your dust mask fits well is important. Industrial hygienists at industrial facilities have a rigorous test procedure they follow to ensure that each worker’s breathing protection devices fit well. The presence of facial hair causes a lot of proper fit problems. Some industries do not allow workers to have facial hair for this reason.

Please be smart about your safety in the shop and at work.

Don Geiger

Donald Wilkins
03-24-2010, 7:33 AM
Mike,

I too have been dealing with a number of Sinus issues for the past year. These issues only occur after I have been in the shop for a while. Dust collection runs anytime I have the Lathe on as well as the air cleaner. However, the Triton I have is not the most comfortable thing to wear not to mention the extra vapors it sucks in when you ...let me say pass a little gas:eek:. The location of the air pump on your backside around your waste is the worst location. Which is probably why I hear so many people having the Trend. The Triton also has a poorly formed face shield which distorts the vision...I tend to find myself opening the shield to see the project, which contaminates the good air.

A little over a year ago I was making a lot of Christmas pens and turned a good bit of Cocobola and Bocote. After a month of those woods, I started having a lot of congestion that would last for 2 to 3 weeks. 2 or 3 times I had to get a shot to get rid of it. Anyway to make a long story short, the more you work with wood it seems the more it fights you...one way or the other. So everytime I turn those woods I take extra caution as it seems one exposure after another tends to get worse.

Everyone in this group deals with this and if they do not admit it, will sooner than later.

Good luck and stay well,

-Donald-

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Mike - when I started turning all I had was a pair of safety glasses and a plastic faceshield. I used them all the time but had never even heard of respirators until I started going online - which was about 2 years after I started turning.

Based on the continuous safety warnings offered by the folks here - I picked up the Trend Airshield. Worked great compared to what I had been using! For the next 2 years I used it every time I did any type of woodworking and remembered to change filters regularly.

About a year ago I noticed that when sanding I could smell the wood. After that I noticed I could smell the wood even when turning and it got me to thinking - if I could smell it - then I must be breathing super small particles.

After a lot of rationalization - I finally just bit the bullet and bought the 3M Airstream. I have used it for 3 months now and love it! I find it is more comfortable than the Trend (I have the original Trend) and I really like the idea of having the top of my head protected as well. Even though it was a lot of money - I am glad I upgraded.

As far as the rest of my DC equipment... I have a Jet 650 DC that I use when finish turning. Learned the hard way that green wood really sticks to the inside of the filters! What a mess!

In addition, I use a homemade box that consists of an attic fan and furnace filters that clean the air in the shop. It works but should pick up the Jet or some model that has a proven track record.

I also wear ear plugs as I really would like to protect what hearing I have and running a DC or other major power tools can get annoying - especially in a basement shop!

Mike Minto
03-24-2010, 1:34 PM
Does blowing compressed air thru the filters in a Trend clean them enough to keep re-using them?

Jeff Nicol
03-24-2010, 3:33 PM
I am one of the worst or wearing dust protection! I don't have a Trend or other air filtering shield yet, but I guess I should look into it. I was going to make one but have not gotten to it yet, might have to do some drawings and figuring on what I plan to do. I have lots of little fans and some nice filter media that should work. At this point we must ask "What would RED GREEN do? It would involve duct tape no doubt!

I will have to pay more attention from now on, hacking up big dark ugly things is not fun! YUCK!:eek:

Jeff

Ken Hensley
03-25-2010, 2:28 PM
Great post its always good to have a little reminder once in awhile. I never use to wear any respiratory protection until a few months ago when working with red cedar. I thought thought that I had a respiratory infection but it ended up being the cedar which is very hard on the lungs. I now use a mask for every thing especially after having sinus surgery 3 weeks ago.

steven carter
03-25-2010, 2:35 PM
Just got a Trend airshield Pro and have been wearing it while in the shop. It is a lot different than the old WC dust mask. Neck got a little tired at first, but I seem to be getting used to it, I'm trying to wear it as much as I can. Also the fan noise was different getting used to, but now don't even notice it.

Steve

Dave Haughs
03-25-2010, 3:02 PM
As I already posted, I have been delinquent in wearing my Trend Pro - not anymore. I've been wearing it alot lately, but wish I had worn it more in the past. I've been to see an ENT doc recently, and he has diagnosed me with a reflux (GERD) problem, even though I feel no heartburn. However, I have found no relief in the med I've been taking, really, but after 2 days with no shop time, my throat is feeling MUCH better. I feel that my problem ('ratty looking' vocal cords, believe it or not) and some redness and swelling in the throat has been caused mostly, if not entirely, by inhaling way too much wood dust when sanding and cleaning up the shop, since I don't wear the mask when sweeping/dust panning. Some of it may well be stomach acid hurting my esophagus, but I really think the spalted wood and fine dust I've foolishly been breathing too much of has caused most of the problem. I"ll be wearing my Trend more, as well as setting my dust collector up to be near where I'm turning, as well as any other air cleaning methods I can come up with (I'd love to hear how you guys keep the fines down - that's the question part here :o). I also have the ceiling mounted air cleaner running more these days. Thought I wouldn't be bothered by airborne dust - foolish me - I'm not invincible.

Huge reason I ordered a cyclone this week.

Alan Tolchinsky
03-25-2010, 9:18 PM
Dear Fellow Woodturners:

I have worked in the air pollution field for 37 years, specializing in the sampling and analysis of air contaminants.

You should always protect yourself when working with wood. Spalted woods can contain dangerous spores, inhalation of which should be avoided without compromise.

When looking for dust collection and personal protection equipment it is important that you look at the particle removal size specifications.

The size range of dust particles inhaled by humans are10 μ (micron) in diameter and less. One micron is equal to one millionth of a meter. So the inhaleable size is 10 millionths of a meter in diameter and less. The hairs in your nose and mucus located in your sinus cavities and throat effectively remove particles between 10 μ and 2.6 μ. The particles collected are expelled by blowing your nose, coughing etc. Particles 2.5 μ and smaller enter the lungs and can deposit into the alveoli (tiny sacks) in your lungs. These can cause severe health problems.

The best protection is provided by devices that remove 1 μ or less. Look for devices approved by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

If a dust mask etc. states that it is for protection from “nuisance” dust, it’s not been proven sufficient to protect your health.

Change your filters often. Also, making sure your dust mask fits well is important. Industrial hygienists at industrial facilities have a rigorous test procedure they follow to ensure that each worker’s breathing protection devices fit well. The presence of facial hair causes a lot of proper fit problems. Some industries do not allow workers to have facial hair for this reason.

Please be smart about your safety in the shop and at work.

Don Geiger

Don, What do you think about disposable masks labeled N95? this is what I use if I'm not near my Trend air shield.

Don Geiger
03-26-2010, 1:00 AM
If you look at the web site: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/

it lists all NISOH approved Particualte Filtering Facepiece Respirators. The N95 removes 95% of airborne particles, but if you want better protection, you could opt for the N99 which removes 99% or the N100 that removes 99.97%.

Also, make sure when you use any dust mask that the fit doesn't leave any space between your skin and the edge. Realize that the air and the very tiny particles will follow the path of least resistance. So if there is a gap, they will bypass the filtering media and go right into your body.

All this boils down to is: be very dilligent and wear a good quality NIOSH approved mask that fits well. If it is a disposable style then be sure to change it when it looks like it is loaded up with particles.

Also, realize that dust masks do not provide protection from volatile organics in the air from finishes etc. You must use an activated carbon filter (some use a molecular sieve too) to remove organics. When the activated carbon filters are not being used, they need to be stored in an air tight can or at least a good zip lock bag. Activated carbon will continue to absorb organics in a static air environment and will expend their level of efficiency just sitting on the shelf in your shop. When wearing an organic filtering mask and you smell the finish you are applying, you either have a leak or the filters have been expended and need to be changed.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Don Geiger

Don

Don

Alan Tolchinsky
03-26-2010, 2:58 AM
Thanks Don, This discussion may have just saved my lungs. As a life time non smoker, it would be a shame to have lung problems now. I've always used lung protection but not all the time. Now I use a mask any time I produce saw dust and keep it on for the duration I'm in the shop. Thanks again for all the great info. Alan