PDA

View Full Version : 1 year anniversary

Fred Perreault
03-23-2010, 9:03 AM
It was just over a year ago that I joined Sawmill Creek, and primarily the Turner Forum. I lurked for a while before that, and for some time after I joined. I imagine there are others with the same thoughts, but I have to say: I have never run across such a bunch of unselfish, helpful folks in my 62 years. There are tool makers, turners, finishers, backyard philosophers, and whatever, all willing to share their insights. We all have our own peculiar methods, ideas and points of view. But the stuff available here is such an inspiration, and education...all for the cost of an internet connection and an occasional contribution (let's not forget the contribution part..!). It has accelerated my learning curve immeasurably in only one year, and provided safety tips as well. And the Turner Forum is without flaming, sharply worded narrative, and seems so positive all the time.
I can't wait for tomorrow...
Fred
...the pics are of the beach and harbors in Orleans, Fall and Winter

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2010, 9:09 AM
Fred,

I stumbled into the Turner's Forum some 4 1/2 years ago. They seemed to be having so much fun. The idiot inmates here decided if I was gonna "Hang" with them I had to act like them. They took up a collection and sent me my first lathe, tools, videos and wood. My life has never been the same.

Generous to a fault. Great folks IMHO.

Gorgeous pictures BTW.

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Fred, SMC is a great place because of folks like you and Ken, so willing to share and support. Your shop is such a neat place, and your geographical surroundings are envious by the way!!

Not to mention you produce some very nice work!! Happy anniversary!:)

I actually joined SMC because of the flatwork I do, and my venture into the Neander side of woodworking. Ultimately, I ended up here, and while I still visit the other forums on SMC, the Turners' forum is home now!! Great bunch of folks!

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Happy Anniversary Fred!

Like you - I lurked for a long time - over a year - before deciding to join Sawmill Creek. The only reason I joined at the time was because I needed to be able to post questions on the lathe I had researched and planned to upgrade too. In the beginning, I was very uncomfortable posting as I had never participated online before - anywhere!

It didn't take long and I realized that if I really wanted to learn about turning - I needed to become an active member and start posting photos of my work. It was very beginner stuff but I put it out there so I could get honest feedback on what I could do to improve. It worked!

So, for all those folks that are new, lurking or shy about being active online - you will learn about turning and everything that goes with it a heck of a lot faster when you participate. You can't lose anything by becoming active and at the very least - you will make a lot of new friends! :D

Gary Chester
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Yup... this a great place with great people.

Rob Cunningham
03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Happy anniversary Fred. I too came here for the flat work aspect and have learned a lot. Then I was sucked in to the vortex, and have learned so much in a short time thanks to everyone's willingness to share. Hopefully I'll be able to give back as much as I have learned.

Mark Hubl
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Happy Anniversary Fred. Great Pics! Have to agree this is a social networking site worth more than the price of admission! I learn a lot and enjoy the goings on.

Jeff Fagen
03-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I have joined many forums like this since my first computer in'04.
I have to say SMC is by far the nicest bunch I've talked with.
Other sites have bad language,back biting political talk and know it all smarties.I have seen none of that here.Everyone is focused on the Vortex and helping and guiding each other.I'm home to!:D

Roger Bullock
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Happy Anniversary Fred. Are you taking us all out to dinner and dancing?

I agree with all the comments posted so far. SMC turners forum rocks. Best bunch of guys that I have never met in person.

I too lurked for quite a while before joining. Hesitated at first because I didn't want to have a bunch of junk show up in my email box. Joined anyway and was pleasantly surprise when the junk emails didn't appear.
Was also hesitant to become a contributor, surly that is where they would hit me up for a lot of money and that is when I would start seeing all those offers for this and that in my email box. Fooled again. To become a contributor was a measly $6 a year and I still don't get junk in my email box. For less than the cost of a fast food restaurant lunch you can become a contributor and enjoy the benefits for a whole year. So all you lurkers and members become a contributor today.

Congrats Fred and Thanks to SMC for this site.

Baxter Smith
03-23-2010, 1:20 PM
Great Pictures! The water still looks cold though! I found the site by accident, just watched for a while, then joined, then participated. Great place to spend your free time and learn something too! The turners forum has been great over the last few months. I have enjoyed it immensely along with the people in it!:D

Steve Mawson
03-23-2010, 5:13 PM
Happy Anniversary from me to. Been here for several years now and contributing for the last 2-3 years. Truly an amazing bunch of folks all willing to share which makes the site special. Turned off and on for several decades but this bunch got me really interested, so much so that had to get a new lathe, then another and another and so on, think I am done now with new lathes. Assessories are another story.

Wishing you many more.

alex carey
03-23-2010, 5:29 PM
joined about 2 years ago. I joined I think 4 woodturning sites total, including the AAW, spent a lot of time on all of them but soon realized the only one with a lot of activity is SMC. Even compared to AAW, SMC has way more activity.

It's the best woodturning site out there imo.

Mark Norman
03-23-2010, 6:04 PM
It's the best woodturning site out there imo.

Pssst Alex, there is more than just spinney stuff at the creek ;)
I hear they do flatwork and other stuff somewhere around here :p

Just over a year for me too and I also will attest to the great peeps that make SMC a great place.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2010, 6:08 PM
Happy anniversary Fred. I have been here for 5 yrs and for $6 I don't know where you can learn as much as here. I also am one of the idiots (as old Fitz puts it) that got him started. Had more fun than you can imagine. IMHO you won't find more generous and helpful people than here on SMC. I do belong to several forums which aren't nearly as active but this is my home. So for all you lurkers and members become contributors and join in here for the time of your life. As I and others have said before there is no such thing as a dumb question.

By the way Fred the pictures are beautiful.

Roland Martin
03-23-2010, 8:35 PM
Happy anniversary Fred. I can honestly agree with how everybody else feels. I've never been particularly fond of "forums" until I picked up a used lathe. Not really knowing much about turning, my brother told me about this site, so I checked it out & lurked, but not for very long. It doesn't take very long to find out you're learning stuff without even asking. When I ask, I learn even faster.
To this day, I am amazed that this many people are genuinely good, honest and helpfull, all in one place, here on the Creek. The only problem I have with these Creekers is that they make me spend too much money!!!:D;):D