View Full Version : May lose an ash tree

George Sanders
03-23-2010, 8:59 AM
We have a mature ash tree in our backyard. Last year I noticed some D-shaped holes in the bark. I read everything I could find on the emerald headed ash tree borer. This tree has always lost twigs but in the last two years it seems to be losing a lot more. There hasn't been a large die out in the crown but I think the tree is infested. I know the borer is as far south as Bloomington Illinois which is 80 miles due west of my home.
I would really hate to lose it but it may have to come down. The main trunk is 18" diameter and 11' up to the first fork. I think I could take it to my local sawyer and have it sawn up and kiln dried.

Andrew Gibson
03-23-2010, 9:20 AM
It would be a shame to have to take down such a beautiful tree, however ash is one of my favorite woods for its economy, strength, and variation of color and grain.

If you end up taking it down I hope you have it sawn and use it to make some beautiful projects. At the very least you could have it sawn to be turned into a wonderful work bench. Or if you have one already send it to me so I can make a wonderful work bench... :p

brian barnum
03-23-2010, 9:54 AM
That poor tree is done for. I live in mid MI and work at MSU, the entomologists pretty much tell you cut em down and start over. I have seen quite a few people sink money in to treatments and watch there tree die anyhow. Sorry about the negative light but those little green bugs have devestated the ash tree population in MI.

Bob Glenn
03-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Evansville, Indiana just announced they were cutting down all Ash trees on city property.

Ed Labadie
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Been dealing with EAB for several years now.
Sorry to tell you but the tree is dead, it just doesn't realize it.
EAB is a very efficient killer, when its done it will have traveled from the stump all the way to the top.
In all reality, there is no need to kiln dry the wood if its just to kill the Borrers, they never penetrate the wood, moving between the bark & sapwood disrupting the flow of sap.

The pics are from a log I milled last year.

Ed

Russ Filtz
03-23-2010, 1:01 PM
Since they stay "shallow", too bad they can't wrap the tree up somehow and heat it enough to kill the bug, but not the tree.

Anyone ever debark a tree and have it live?

George Sanders
03-23-2010, 2:35 PM
I didn't realize the bug was south of us. I think I'll cut it down this week. I want to kiln dry it in order to build the workbench I've always wanted.

Mike Archambeau
03-23-2010, 4:13 PM
George;

Shame to lose such a nice tree. But make something beautiful out of it and it will honor the tree. We are losing our ash trees in CT as well.

Michael MacDonald
03-23-2010, 5:29 PM
sorry to hear about that. I have a few big ash trees... been treating them for the past few years just in case. I hope I am not wasting money.

Gerry Grzadzinski
03-23-2010, 5:56 PM
We had a tree service come out to treat our ash tree for the EAB. After the second year of treatment, it came down. The arborist told us that they were learning that once you see the signs of infestation, it's really already too far along to save.
Here in the Detroit area, all the ash trees are gone, and have been gone for at least two years now.

Ryan Baker
03-23-2010, 8:28 PM
Yup. Too bad, but that tree is already gone. Get what you can out of it. As mentioned, all of the ash around here was gone a couple years ago. There are still a few in the rural areas that are dead and just haven't fallen yet, but ash is a thing of the past around here and for most of the country.

Jim Terrill
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm, wonder if that is why ash is so cheap here right now, they are cutting it down while they can?