PDA

View Full Version : Mortar & Pestle

Mike Minto
03-23-2010, 7:48 AM
I'm sure others have done this...but here is my first. The Mortar is Ash, I think - man was it dry...I actually poured Danish Oil onto it and watched it get sucked up. The Pestle is Black Palm, has the same finish. Haven't buffed it out yet, but wanted to post. Originally there was no 'notch' for the Pestle to rest in, but it chipped at the last minute...so, with the spindle sander, I adjusted the design.

David E Keller
03-23-2010, 8:11 AM
Looks good.

Remember. No white diamond on the palm while buffing unless you like picking out little white specks for hours. DAMHIKT:mad:

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 8:55 AM
Mike, that sure is a "rugged" looking piece of ash - lots of character. The black palm goes very well with it, and picks up some of the dark coloration. Good job, and great design work on that "notch"!!;)

Baxter Smith
03-23-2010, 1:29 PM
Pretty combination of woods.

Roland Martin
03-23-2010, 3:16 PM
Pretty neat Mike. Mother Nature gave your pestle a resting place for your mortar, how convenient.
Are you sure that's ash and not Wenge?

Mike Minto
03-23-2010, 4:07 PM
Pretty neat Mike. Mother Nature gave your pestle a resting place for your mortar, how convenient.
Are you sure that's ash and not Wenge?

Roland, thanks. I'm not sure what the bowl is, other than a domestic hardwood, one that looks like some ash I've turned before. The pestle, black palm. :)

John Tomasello jr
03-23-2010, 7:04 PM
I like the look, like some thing you would find in a antique shop

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2010, 8:59 PM
Great looking combo. Really nice contrast.

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Looks really cool Mike! The natural colors in the bowl are great!