PDA

View Full Version : Incra vs Jointech

ed vitanovec
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm looking for user feed back on these two brands of linear router fence positioners. I'm going to build a new router table and considering this type of fence verses the conventional router fence. Most of my routing consists of edge routing but this fence looks like it could open a lot of possibilities. I'm also curious which way is easier and accurate in making box joints, a linear positioner or Leigh jig?

Regards!
Ed

Mark Woodmark
03-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I just researched both the Jointech Clincher and the Incra LS. I went with the Jointech. I appears to be a little more heavy duty. The LS was basically copied off the Jointech to compete with the Clincher. Also I am going to use it for a rip fence on my slider and will be putting the positioner on the left side of my saw. Jointech is making one for me that is reversed. Incra was unable to do this

Ray Chalenski
03-23-2010, 7:20 AM
I've had the jointech clincher on my router table for about 4 years now.I compared it to the Incra at a woodworking show and the Jointech was built much better and the dust control feature was very good.Haven't tried the box joint feature yet.Tried the dovetails once. Was fairly easy and their instructions were good. They only downfall was the spacing of the dovetails are fixed.So I use my leigh jig for them. I've read a few posts that Jointech's customer service may not be very good.Can't attest to that because I haven't had a problem with their product.
Ray

Alan Trout
03-23-2010, 8:18 AM
I also own the Jointech setup and the clincher is IMHO better built and the dust collection works very well, I also really enjoy the automatic stock centering device/"Rabbit". It really works and works well.

Good Luck

Alan

Mike Golka
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
only downfall was the spacing of the dovetails are fixed.Ray
I also have the Jointech and am very happy with it. You can create custom templates for any size dovetails you want including varing widths. I set up my router table on the end of my table saw and can use the jointech for either.

Raymond Fries
03-23-2010, 2:07 PM
I have never tried the Jointech so I cannot compare what I have to that model. I have been very happy with the box joints it creates. When I was where you are in the evaluating stage, my decision was made when I happened across the Incra in a 50% off sale at Woodcraft.

Good Luck choosing.

jason lambert
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I was about to pull the trigger on a incra system but have had issues getting it and trouble with incra customer support lately, glad to see jointec is making a effort I am interested in this thread and started looking into the jointech. I tried to call them a couple of times and there was no answer. Not very encouraging. Hopefully they have pulled there act together I really use to like there lift.

Mark Woodmark
03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
I was about to pull the trigger on a incra system but have had issues getting it and trouble with incra customer support lately, glad to see jointec is making a effort I am interested in this thread and started looking into the jointech. I tried to call them a couple of times and there was no answer. Not very encouraging. Hopefully they have pulled there act together I really use to like there lift.

Jointech is currently in the process of moving their whole operation to a bigger building. Their phones are still not up and running and they are trying to get their manufacturing up and going.

Todd Bin
03-24-2010, 1:44 PM
I have both the router table super fence and the TS III positioner for my table saw. I have been happy with both. I have not used the Jointtech (sp). But here is what I would say. I don't think anyone can beat the manual and documentation that Incra provides with their products. I think a 3 year old could assemble their stuff based on the manual. And customer service at Incra is also second to none. I have called and spoke with Perry on numerous occasions and he even gave me some advice and tips on stuff not directly related to incra stuff.

Their video on how to use the LS positioner to make joints etc is also an excellent resouce.

~Todd

jason lambert
03-24-2010, 1:59 PM
Thanks Mark I was wondering what was going on. I have incra fence on my sawstop and miter set up so it was natural to go to a incra router table since all my accessories would fit. I really do like the incra stuff, but there tech support has been good and bad.
When I had trouble with the fence on my sawstop you could get someone on the phone I found one of the issues was if the fence is to close to the blade it will trip the sawstop brake since the fence is metal, the regular sawstop fence is not mental and doesn't have this issue. I did this twice before I figured out it was the fence since there where no scratches on it the blade didn't touch it but after sawstop analised the break data they could tell. I built a sub fence on it and called incra and told them about the issue and sugested they add a sub fence or a warning for people with sawstops and they pretty much told me it was my problem. Nice! I have had other issues like this lately I still may get the incra and there videos are good just wish there sales team was better and there support was less cockey. Even my local store where I get stuff that is a incra dealer told me to find it elsewhere after he tried for about month to get me the router set up. Every manfacture has there issues, jointec as well. but I have had enought issues with incra that I may try someone else even though I don't want to I do think they make a quality product.

Steven J Corpstein
03-24-2010, 2:17 PM
I started out with an Incra Ultra and sold it to buy a Jointech. The Incra just had more whistles to bolt on and align to achieve the same thing the Jointech did. Both are comparable to each other, in my case, I just preferred the setup procedures on the Jointech and it seemed more solid and easier to keep adjusted. I have some during the build pictures on my web site if you're interested in looking.

http://www.datasystemsltd.com/router

jason lambert
03-24-2010, 2:55 PM
Wow great job on that cabinet Steve, really eye catching. I think you just sold me on the Jointech. I like the way the arm can slide back and give you more working room on the top, with the incra you can only bring the fence so far back. Do you have plans for the cabinet any where? Also what size did you get the 27X36 top or bigger?

Homer Faucett
03-24-2010, 4:16 PM
I'm looking for user feed back on these two brands of linear router fence positioners.

I bought the Incra TSLS a few years back, and did a comparison of both at the time. I think a search of the archives might show some conversations with Jointech and Incra owners. Both appear to be very good, and extremely similar products. I found Incra's customer service to be top notch, and couldn't reach anyone at Jointech when I called. That, coupled with a sale at Amazon at the time made up my mind, even though my initial reaction was to get the Jointech. Frankly, I think you'd be happy with either product, as most Jointech owners are happy with their decision and most Incra owners are happy with theirs. I don't regret going Incra for a second, and I really liked their video and instructions--top notch.

I'm also curious which way is easier and accurate in making box joints, a linear positioner or Leigh jig?

Regards!
Ed

I've never used the Leigh to make box joints, but through dovetails is where this jig really shines. The ability to make variable spaced dovetails on large work pieces is what sets this apart from the Incra, IMHO. The corner dovetails and double dovetails on the Incra are nice, and a good reason to get the Incra . . . but I really like the repeatability of the Incra since it gets used as my TS fence as well as the router fence.

Paul Johnstone
03-24-2010, 5:02 PM
Just a side note.. I have a jointech fence also. I tried doing an arrangment on my table similiar to Steve's (Bring a 2" DC hose from the cabinet to the fence.).. I had a 6" ductwork going in, but the 2" DC hose just was not adequate.. You really need to put a shop vac on the fence, IMO.. If you don't , you have to periodically blow out the hollow fence. Not a huge deal. Maybe I just didn't have my ductwork set up right, but that was an issue for me (I'm sure the same would happen on the Incra).

I have the jointech. I really like the coping sled that comes with it. Never got around to making the fancy joints on it, but it's a lot nicer than a DIY router fence. It's so nice to use the fine adjustment wheel to line up the fence to the bearing on the router bit, for example.

I can't recall any criticism of the Incra fence, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Steven J Corpstein
03-24-2010, 8:31 PM
Wow great job on that cabinet Steve, really eye catching. I think you just sold me on the Jointech. I like the way the arm can slide back and give you more working room on the top, with the incra you can only bring the fence so far back. Do you have plans for the cabinet any where? Also what size did you get the 27X36 top or bigger?

Jason,
I bought the 27" x 36" from Jointech along with their plans for the Routing Center. I modified mine a bit so the drawers were better suited for my needs. I have the plans yet, but unfortunately, they send them via mail in paper form only (no PDF), but they were worth the money ($9.99 when I got them) since I'm design challenged. I can build from blueprints, but it takes me a bit to design and draw my own plans.

Mark Woodmark
03-31-2010, 6:46 PM
Just checked the Jointech site, their phones wont be up and running until April 5th

robert micley
03-31-2010, 7:58 PM
i have the jointech and love it. incra seems to be the exact same thing. do not get it for doing big dovetail or boxjoint projects. it is good for what it is advertised- jewerly or small projects which would include drawers. nothing much bigger than 5 inches tall. why?it is more precise to move the router through the wood than the wood through the router for wider dovetail or box joints. that said- i love a micro adjust and split fence for my router table.you can just sneek up to the bearing or sneek up on exact dado widths. you can edge joint short length wood if you do not have a jointer. the jointech has the inserts to make zero clearance router profiles which some people love. i am too lazy to use it except for my rail and stile and panel cutters. i also made the exact same router table. i hook the dust collection to the fence end. if you have another dust collector you can hook it to the table opening also. too much noise. good luck

Mark Woodmark
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Just checked the Jointech site, their phones wont be up and running until April 5th

Tried to phone Jointech today (4-9), their phones are still down and they are not answering emails either. Maybe their reputation for poor customer service is warranted