PDA

View Full Version : Plum Gloatful

James Combs
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I was out hiking in the woods Sunday afternoon with farmer friend looking for a missing calf. I notice a small tree he had cut and how colorful it was.:eek: He said it was an old plum tree he was getting rid of.:D So I got my hands on some nice looking plum including a triple crotch. Just happen to have the pickup with me too.:rolleyes: I had already thrown a four foot log in the truck when I remembered the camera. This will give me the opportunity to try my hand at my first green turning. (Soon as I get my 690 back together that is.) There is also a piece of spalted "something" we found way back in the woods. Will be picking it up next trip. It has some embedded barbed wire that I will have to watch out for.:(

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Congrats on some nice looking plum.

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
The plum is great. Get the ends sealed as quickly as possible especially if you cut it into shorter sections. The color and grain can be Very Nice.

David E Keller
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Nice find. I'm glad to hear you didn't launch the wood out of your truck on the way home.:D:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Great looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Did you find the calf?

charlie knighton
03-23-2010, 1:34 AM
great gloat, you are going to like plum

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 6:08 AM
JD, congrats on the plum, and that spalted wood might be very nice, too. Hard to tell on it until you get it cut up. The entire load of spalted maple I thought I scored on this winter ended up being too far gone. It went in the trash pile this weekend.

Roger Bullock
03-23-2010, 6:19 AM
Once upon a time a walk in the woods was just that a walk in the woods, after the vortex it's like your undressing every tree with your eyes looking for that special turning. Nice find hope it has that special bowl in it for you.

OBTW, how goes the saga of the flying table saw?

Roland Martin
03-23-2010, 6:35 AM
Really nice find James. It'll be interesting what you find when cutting into the triple crotch. That spalted piece, bark looks like maple, hopefully is not rotted. Have fun.

[QUOTE]David E Keller;1380527]Nice find. I'm glad to hear you didn't launch the wood out of your truck on the way home.:D:eek:[/QUOTE
Whoa David, that's not a cheap shot is it?:D:eek:

Jeff Nicol
03-23-2010, 7:25 AM
James, The plum like most of the fruit woods will crack and check fast!! IT is beautiful and you have a big nice chunk of it there, so get it cut into some blanks and seal them up good or rough turn a bunch right away. I has some I left for a week and it cracked from one end to the other in a 3 foot log. I was able to salvage some small bowl chunks and beautiful pen blanks. It was lot smaller than your gloat! I think a buddy of mine has a big one on the back fence line that may need som attention. The only thing is that it makes some nice fruit for wine making and jelly!

Have fun with your haul!

Jeff

Mike Minto
03-23-2010, 10:49 AM
i have to say that is the least gnarly / nicest barked looking plum i've ever seen - are you sure that's what that is? or are there different species of plum? all mine here in VA is rough-barked in the extreme - and cracks like nobody's business. regardless, that is some nice wood that i'm sure you'll 'turn' into some nice forms.

Gary Chester
03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Like everyone says... you're gonna like that plum... but get it sealed.

Couple of comments gave me a good chuckle... :D

QUOTE "I'm glad to hear you didn't launch the wood out of your truck on the way home"

Quote "it's like your undressing every tree with your eyes"

James Combs
03-23-2010, 6:55 PM
i have to say that is the least gnarly / nicest barked looking plum i've ever seen - are you sure that's what that is? or are there different species of plum? all mine here in VA is rough-barked in the extreme - and cracks like nobody's business. regardless, that is some nice wood that i'm sure you'll 'turn' into some nice forms.

Mike, I only know what the original owner told me. He has lived with the tree in his yard for about nine years so I assume he knows.

Once upon a time a walk in the woods was just that a walk in the woods, after the vortex it's like your undressing every tree with your eyes looking for that special turning. Nice find hope it has that special bowl in it for you.

OBTW, how goes the saga of the flying table saw?

Roger, I know what you mean about checking out the trees wardrobe. I use to do a lot of backpacking and hiking but I don't recall looking at the trees then the way I do now. :D

You can get/keep up to date on the Flying Grizzly repairs here if you like. I am running a new thread to track repair progress. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136211

Donny Lawson
03-23-2010, 8:16 PM
Nice Find.Maybe you can get some good bowls out of that plum and hopefully something nice out of that spalted wood too.Keep us up to date on the progress.
Donny