PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite natural edge

Brad Schmid
11-08-2004, 1:51 PM
Finally got back to the lathe after about a month of "other stuff" :D The following is a natural edge bowl turned from South Texas crotch Mesquite. It is 15" in diameter, approximately 5" high, and 3/8" thick. Finish is natural watco, buffed. I really enjoy the challenge of turning natural edge forms. Thanks for looking. Critique welcome, always looking to improve :) Sure wish I could take a decent picture :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Brad

Tyler Howell
11-08-2004, 2:21 PM
Wow Brad!!

Way cool.

Ted Shrader
11-08-2004, 2:25 PM
Brad -

That is outstanding! Nice work.

Ted

George Tokarev
11-08-2004, 4:02 PM
If that's a bad picture, that must be one magnifico bowl.

Wonder if my Texas DiL can come up with some mesquite. Won't need a chunk that big, though. Ancient 12" lathe.

Michael Stafford
11-08-2004, 4:05 PM
Here is the harshest critique that I could come up with...

OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT, WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL, LOVELY, SUPERB!!!!!!

I'm sorry to be so hard on you. But you'll get better I'm sure with constructive criticism. Keep up the good work...

Dick Parr
11-08-2004, 4:09 PM
Very nice Brad.

Lou Morrissette
11-08-2004, 4:25 PM
Beautiful work!

Jim Becker
11-08-2004, 4:47 PM
'Just lovely! Very nice work!!!

Glenn Hodges
11-08-2004, 5:39 PM
Beautiful wood, beautiful work, I have often wondered what a natural edge mesquite looked like, now I know, thanks.

Brad Schmid
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks all,

Your comments are most generous and very much appreciated. I'm happy to report this one made it's trip to it's final desination in Western Pennsylvania safely in one piece, and now I can breath a sigh of relief.

George - If your DiL can get hold of some, take her up on it, you won't be disappointed. Mesquite is very stable, even when turned green. The bark is very thick and knarley making for interesting natural edges. In crotch Mesquite, "wind checks" are not uncommon, so you really won't know what you have until you saw it into blanks.

Cheers,
Brad