PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Supernova 2

Rich Aldrich
03-22-2010, 9:21 PM
I ordered the Supernova 2 from Woodcraft today. Turning with Steve over the weekend proved to me that it is much easier to do with a chuck.

I also received the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges and a parting tool today from PSI. Tomorrow night I will begin sharpening.

Roger Chandler
03-22-2010, 9:50 PM
I ordered the Supernova 2 from Woodcraft today. Turning with Steve over the weekend proved to me that it is much easier to do with a chuck.

I also received the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges and a parting tool today from PSI. Tomorrow night I will begin sharpening.

Rich,

You are following a well-worn path that is one so very many turners before you have been on, and is a natural progression in your journey in woodturning. I think many on this and other forums have a term they use for this aquisition of new turning accessories........I think its called a VORTEX, welcome to it.

You will find that the new accessories will make you a better turner, and most of those dollars are an investment that will yield dividends for years to come......congratulations! :)

David E Keller
03-22-2010, 9:57 PM
Congrats on the new acquisitions. Looking forward to seeing some finished work.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your tools.

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Have fun with your new toys!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Rich,

Congrats on your new tools!

I am getting ready to order my 2nd SuperNova2 chuck.....I will leave different jaws on each one and won't have to spend so much time changing jaws.

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Looking forward to seeing the photos of all that new shiny stuff!

Have fun!

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 6:24 AM
Congrats, Rich! You can blame this one on Steve, but the rest of the indulgences are on you!:D

I want so bad to order another chuck (have 2 already) but I wish I could get another size of jaws with it. Just don't need 3 sets of 50mm jaws. Anyone want to trade!!??

Paul Singer
03-23-2010, 7:35 AM
John; That would be a great idea if they would provide that option. I would have bought 2 when I got my first one last week. Like you said who needs multiple sets of the same size jaws. I questioned Woodcraft about that but no go.

Joe Little
03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Rich, that great. Good luck turning. You should apply for that home equity loan now as you are going to need a lot more money but it will be fun!

Darin Kauffman
03-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I bought one from WC since it has dropped in price. They are made in China now. The tolerances are not up to par with what I expect from higher quality parts, and once I put the jaws/ chuck together, I could see a few parts didn't marry up perfectly. It works well, so I'm not fully complaining, I just wanted people to know that these new low priced chucks are made in China.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats, Rich! You can blame this one on Steve, but the rest of the indulgences are on you!:D

I want so bad to order another chuck (have 2 already) but I wish I could get another size of jaws with it. Just don't need 3 sets of 50mm jaws. Anyone want to trade!!??

Search e-bay for nova chuck, ther is a guy in Canada that does sell only the SN2 body. I have 3 50 mm jaws. You are correct. You don't need 3.... I haven't even touched 1 set yet.

Gary Chester
03-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Congrats! I couldnt live without my SN2... I'm so tempted to buy a second...

Steve Vaughan
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
The temptation to have a second one bit me bad. Really bad. So, I got me a second one.

Rich Aldrich
03-23-2010, 9:38 PM
The first two pictures are my new sharpening station. It isnt high enough, so I think I will make a small bottom part to the cabinet with a drawer. It might look like an after thought, but it is for me and in the shop.

The next picture are the new tools: 3/8" bowl gouge, 1/2" bowl gouge and 5/8" bowl gouge; 3/4" oval skew; 1/8 x 3/4" parting tool. Also, I picked up some rolls of sand paper. These are all Benjamin's Best. Tonight I ordered a 1 1/2" scraper like Steve has. It really works well, but I learned you have to use it carefully.

I think the vortex is just sucking the money out of my wallet.

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 9:48 PM
I think the vortex is just sucking the money out of my wallet.Rich, it is just the beginning!! If it makes you feel any better, I just ordered the 1.5" bowl scraper from PSI as well!