PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Idea...Crazy Or Not?

John Carlo
03-22-2010, 8:58 PM
I have a Performax 22-44 Pro drum sander with a 1 3/4 HP 110V single phase motor. Yes it is underpowered and slow and leaves straight line scratches but with patience it works. Woodworking friends always seem to have a panel or table top to run through it. A little ROS work afterward and we're good to go.
I was thinking today that I have a Belsaw planer with a 5HP Baldor 220V single phase motor that has been sitting for years since I bought a new PM 22" planer. Well, you get the drift! Would mounting this motor on the sander be detrimental, overpowering, a waste, just plain crazy? I could use the old planer as a powered rip saw or as a molder as I have a lot of cutters for it but I have shapers for that purpose. Both motors have the same speed and I have to check on the bore of the dual pulleys. Comments greatly appreciated.

Jeff Monson
03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
John, I have a 22-44 pro model also, but it has a 3hp 220 volt motor, it is never short on power, but I have never ran the 110volt 22-44 machine. I bought this sander based on the fact it was 220 volts. It never bogs down or skips a beat, if i get dips in my material its because I took too much off with too great of a feed rate. I wouldnt think the retrofit would be very difficult as long as your shaft size and motor rpm are the same.

Andrew Nemeth
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
As long as it runs at the same speed I think you would be fine. The extra horses would just keep it from bogging down. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let us know.

george wilson
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
The heavier motor could cause wear on the aluminum vertical adjustment column,so be careful.

I haven't any problem with my Delta bogging down,but I do not try to take much off at a pass. Never more than 1/4 handle turn with coarse paper. Most often,2 or 3 passes with the same setting,it still sands.

mreza Salav
03-23-2010, 12:33 AM
With drum sanders you have to take light passes.
Having a stronger motor is usually good, but trying to take off a heavy pass will burn the paper and the wood.
I have noticed this happens before the motor gives up!

Mike Heidrick
03-23-2010, 7:48 AM
I owned a 22-44 S/T and it had a 3hp leeson motor mounted on it.