PDA

View Full Version : Lathe center height

Richard Dooling
03-22-2010, 8:29 PM
I finally bought a dedicated lathe. I’ve been using a ShopSmith and had not really thought about it but as a lathe it is very low to the ground and I’m 6’4”.

So I’ve read a lot of differing opinions about “proper” height and also proper height for spindle as opposed to bowl turning. I know this has to be a personal preference to some extent but I’d like to know what the folks here think.

I’ve put the lathe on locking casters for space reasons and that has lifted it up to about 1” below elbow level. This seems too high but as stated I’ve gotten used to a lathe too low.

I've slipped down the slippery slope of hand tools. I hear that the turners version is called the vortex? Hey what's that whoosing sound anyway?

Any advice for a new turner is appreciated. Oh and did I mention that I got a new lathe???

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Yep you said you got a lathe but not what kind and of course no pictures didn't happen. My lathe is 2" above my elbow height at 47". I like it there because I don't have to bend over so much.

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm 5' 10" and the spindle height on my lathe is set at 46". It is set a little high because I turn mostly hollow forms and bowls and it is a lot easier on your back!

When you turn anything spindle oriented - with the grain running parallel to the bed of the lathe (think candle holder or a vase) - the tool rest is positioned so that you are cutting at or slightly below the center line. If the lathe is positioned at the height of your elbow - you should be comfortable while turning.

When you turn faceplate orientation - such as a bowl - the tool rest is positioned so the gouge cuts at or slightly above the centerline when the gouge is held at an angle somewhere close to 45*. When watch a DVD or two about bowl turning - you will note that the bowl gouge is usually held with the handle held to your hip and all control is through body movement. With the handle of your gouge held fairly low - it is a lot more comfortable to raise the lathe than it is to stoop over.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe!

Richard Dooling
03-23-2010, 9:40 AM
Crud, forgot about the "pictures rule" but you've all seen the lathe. It's the HF 34706 clone of the Jet 1236. I think I'll work with the lathe at this height for a while to see how I like it. As I mentioned, I don't have any frame of reference other than the very low Shop Smith.

Thanks for the replies!