PDA

View Full Version : Show me your bowl and platter display stands/racks

Mike Peace
03-22-2010, 6:16 PM
Anyone have any bowl stands or platter stands they want to share?

How about a wall rack that would hold three platters? The commercial wall mount plate racks are not deep enough for most platters since they are designed for plates approx. 10" in diameter that are not as deep as a typical turned platter. I have turned several platters and the LOML would like to display in a rack on the wall similar to the stands she has that hold two or three plates.

Curt Fuller
03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
This only holds 1 platter but you could modify it (extend the legs) to hold more. This was made by Clead Christiansen and is in his shop/ gallery, The Turning Post.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/platehangar.jpg

Mike Peace
03-24-2010, 8:07 PM
Thanks for your picture, Curt.

I made a rack to hold three platters. The vertical pieces are 1/2" wide and 34" long made of Maple. I used a roundover bit on my router to profile the vericals. The cross pieces are dowels. The platter holders are basically shoulder hooks I made from some 1/8" brass rod although they are hard to see in the picture. Here is a picture with and without the platters.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2010, 9:36 PM
Nice way to display the platters. They look very nice!

Mike Peace
11-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Here are some simple to make platter stands using 1/4" plywood and a scroll saw. The inspiration came from the folks down under in the South Auckland Woodturners Guild http://www.sawg.org.nz/wordpress/projects/

I turned this platter from a stair tread given to me by a former neighbor who was tired of carrying it around. It came from the demolished Queen Elizabeth School built in the forties in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Canada where his wife attended school. I am giving this to another couple in my neighborhood who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

Curt Fuller
11-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Here's another rack I did a while back. It holds a shallow bowl/platter and a spoon.