PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buy, Need to build a bench

Scott Gibbons
03-22-2010, 2:48 PM
I got two sets of these (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Adjustable-Height-Legs-34-/G9924) on an impulse. I paid about $60.00 for the pair. I am in need of a bench for assembly. I am trying to make this as cost effective as possible so if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, pictures on how to make a somewhat decent bench out of these two legs I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Brian Goulet
03-22-2010, 7:16 PM
For cost and effectiveness, you could joint and glue up a slab of 2"x4"s to make a solid top....wouldn't cost but probably $30-40 and a little time.

Steven DeMars
03-22-2010, 7:28 PM
I built a bench out of laminated / glue up 2X4's and it works very well . . .

Imagine you had those legs & some 2X4's 200 years ago . . . everybody would envy your uniform looking bench top with adjustable "steel" legs . . .:)

You will need a stretch underneath or it will rock . . .

Think I might order a set for another welding table . . .

Steve

John Thompson
03-22-2010, 7:34 PM
You did say assembly table and not work-bench but... you didn't mention how long or wide. If not too long I would simply screw a sheet of 3/4" MDF on top of a sheet of 3/4" ply countersinking the screw head and attach to the leg tops. If any rack you can add a middle stretcher between the legs and tie in and end to end support beam.

An assembly table is not as critical to rack as a work-bench and doesn't have to be as heavy or re-enforced.

Gpod luck....

Jim Rimmer
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I have some legs like those that I got with a workbench kit 35+ years ago. my top is two pieces 1/2 inch particle board (I would use MDF today). Since the original build I added a 1/4 or 3/8" masonite top and later put formica on top of that. I did the 2x4s on edge for the lower shelf.

Doug Carpenter
03-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Here is what I did with legs like those.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120550

Brian Goulet
03-23-2010, 9:25 AM
sorry, I somehow missed that you said assembly table, i was thinking workbench! For my assembly table, I used 3/4" MDF and 3/4" melamine coated particleboard on top. I screwed the two together and wrapped them in oak trim on the edges. It's ROCK solid, and the melamine is easy to clean and resists spills with all KINDS of chemicals. Plus it's a pretty cheap and easy way to do it.....I think the oak trim was the most expensive part :P

John Keeton
03-23-2010, 2:37 PM
Go to the borg and buy a 36" hollow core slab door. The legs are 34" wide, and that would give you a flat assembly table on the cheap. You may want to glue on some cleats to attach to the leg base, as the door will not support bolts.

Scott Gibbons
03-23-2010, 7:53 PM
Thank you all for the replies, I was able to get one set of legs. I was thinking about going the laminated MDF route with 1/4 hardy board top.

Doug, that bench is awesome.

Mike Wilkins
03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Either the quick and easy route using an el-cheapo hollow core door.
Or go for robust, using 2X pine ripped into 2 1/4" strips and edge glued for a really sturdy bench top. You could mount a small vise on one end, drill some dog holes and you are set for a long time.

Scott Gibbons
03-24-2010, 5:24 PM
Thanks Mike,
The legs arrived today, I am very impressed by the construction. They appear to be very sturdy. I will admit that I will probably never have the beauties some of you do, but I think I should be able to get most of my required functionality... for now ;) Now I just need to sit back and digest this great info and come up with a game plane.