PDA

View Full Version : Finish on osage orange

Tom Stover
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm glad to see this forum here at SMC. I turned a piece of osage orange into a weed pot. Just a little thing about 5" tall. I have put 3 coats of BLO on it and rubbed it between coats. What do I do now? Do I just wax it, put a shellac on it, or maybe some lacquer? I welcome advice from you who knows more about finishes than me(that would be almost everyone). Thank You Tom

Michael Stafford
11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question. What is it that you are trying to achieve wiht your finish? Sometimes I turn something and decide I don't have to slather on any additional coatings, then I think about how it is going to be used and let that determine what needs to be on it to protect it. Sometimes as the wood ages it develops its own color and patina that is vastly superior to any finish we could apply. A piece that is going to be handled a lot may need a different finish than a piece that is just for display. Not really any answers here just some thoughts...

Jim Becker
11-08-2004, 4:51 PM
One of the nice things about Osage Orange, is that you almost don't need a finish on it. If you sand right up through at least 600, burnish with shavings and buff, it will have an amazing shine. Do remember that UV will render the piece to a brown color over time, so don't set that one in the sun if you want to enjoy the yellow a little longer.