PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for first aid kits?

Brian Tymchak
03-22-2010, 1:59 PM
Was thinking over the weekend, as I started edging the landscape beds and spreading mulch, that I should upgrade my first aid kit in the shop (home/hobbyist). Current first aid kit is literally just a box of band-aids on the shelf with the glues... A Google search came back with so many results with so many options it's hard to make sense of it all. The price ranges from $10-$200. I think I want a wall mounted kit, such that the front opens down to a small table. I want a well equipped kit so that I have what I need when I need it. However, I'm not sure what "well equipped" really means beyond bandaids/small bandages/antiseptic.

My search of past SMC threads came up empty on this topic. So, a few questions to you all. Do you have a favorite first aid kit to recommend? What should be in it for a home shop? Does anyone have an eyewash station? Think it's needed or is that overkill?

Thanks for your help!
Brian

David DeCristoforo
03-22-2010, 2:25 PM
As a general rule, first aid kits are a "ripoff". You will get a much better "kit" if you just buy the "ingredients" and box to put them in. My basic "kit" would include:

Band-aid assortment.
Gauze pads
Gauze rolls
Adhesive tape
Large "self adhesive" pads
Sharp scissors
Sharp tweezers
Disinfectant soap
Peroxide
Antibiotic ointment
Eye wash and cup
Aspirin
"Cold packs"

I also keep a gallon of distilled water in the shop for flushing out cuts (you never know what might be lurking around your bathroom faucet!)

If you need more than the above, you might want to consider calling 911!

Neil Brooks
03-22-2010, 2:36 PM
Here's a link to an article that seems directly on point.....

http://www.ehow.com/way_5579020_should-first-aid-kit-contain_.html

Here's to never needing any of it, though :)

Mike Heidrick
03-22-2010, 3:04 PM
Kit from Sams club (>$20) had a TON of stuff in it and a nice box so that is what I got. I also use a tube of Neosporin with pain relief and a few needles for splinters.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-22-2010, 3:09 PM
All I have is a box of bandaids, on the theory anything needed more than that would probably mean a trip to the emergency room. I whacked my thumb last year into the bone and put a wad of paper towels around it which was enough to keep blood from going everywhere till I got into town to get it stitched. (Since I can't usually find the bandaids :o when I nick myself I usually end up making a small patch of paper towels held in place with masking tape).

John Coloccia
03-22-2010, 3:35 PM
Whatever kit you get, add something called "splinter outs". They're thin, sharp pieces of metal, individually wrapped and sterilized.

http://www.medipoint.com/html/splinter_out.html

Neil Brooks
03-22-2010, 3:41 PM
Never seen those.

Thanks, John!

Mark Lincoln
03-22-2010, 5:13 PM
Super glue, that is for those pesky finger nails that crack and start making life miserable. Can't beat gluing it back in place till you can safely trim it.

A good first aid kit is important. And it is great comfort living 4 miles from an ER. :) Seriously though, know where your local ER and Minor Meds are located. I learned the importance of that before my first kid hit 1.

Lee Ludden
03-22-2010, 5:58 PM
One thing that almost any retail FAK is missing is sufficient trauma supplies. If you NEED a first aid kit, it usually because there is a lot of red stuff flowing.

In my shop I have a large zip-lock bag with about a dozen 4x4 pads and 4 or 5 rolls of Kerlix bandages and some tape. I keep an owwie kit (typical FAK) nearby for the small stuff. I figure for a worst-case situation, which in my case would be: wife gone, neighbors gone, and me having a serious accident with a table saw. That isn't the time to be fumbling with containers or trying to open something.

An eye wash station or some sort would also be pretty handy also, even if it is just some saline solution in a sterile bottle.

Kevin Gregoire
03-22-2010, 7:58 PM
i bought a small rubber maid zippered nylon cooler and put together my own kit.
i went to the walmart pharmacy and bought some 4x4 pads, bandage wraps, medical
scissors, antiseptic, tape, and a bunch of other stuff, all for under twenty bucks.

Mac McQuinn
03-22-2010, 8:14 PM
My wife bought a new Subaru in 06 and purchase a 1st Aid kit through them as an accessory which fits in a hidden compartment in the back. It's really a 1st class unit according to my wife (Nurse). About $30.00 I believe.

Mac

Neil Brooks
03-22-2010, 8:17 PM
Mac-

Is it ... this??

http://subaruproparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

http://subaruproparts.com/images/companion%20.jpg

Mac McQuinn
03-22-2010, 8:24 PM
Yes, that appears to be it although I think the container has changed colors and it looks like the price has went up a bit since 06....:rolleyes:
Mac

glenn bradley
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I keep mine out where I can get to it. I use a plastic "shoebox" that I modified so that the lid can be lifted off easily (cut off the little ridges that made it snap shut). I have a tourniquet, adhesive tape, bandages and the usual suspects.

I want it to be quickly accessible and operable with only one hand. If I just cut my thumb off and I need two hands to get the thing open, I'll be ticked. Basically I can just dump it out, grab what I need for an emergent situation and then use a little more finesse once things are under control.

Bill Pitz
03-23-2010, 7:57 AM
When you really tag yourself in the shop, it's good to have something clean and absorbant that can be affixed one-handed. Look into an Israeli trauma dressing, called an "Izzy". Good to have one close by. Here's to having, but not needing.

Mark Lincoln
03-23-2010, 8:24 AM
es trauma dressings are a very good idea. I don't have them in my workshop. I have them in my camping gear ironically enough. Good discussion as it will have me updating my shop.

I would also recommend a simply Red Cross First Aid Class. I took one about 15 years ago and probably could use a refresher. It helped me realize what I didn't know. If you have to wonder about what you need in a first aid kit, you may need to take such a class.

Personally I think it is time for me to take one again.

I also think an eye wash station is a very good idea.

Don't forget a fire extinguisher. I keep one in the kitchen, bedroom and workshop. Make sure you don't have to HUNT for it. The one in my kitchen is hanging next to the window of the sink. It is a little out of place, but if something is on fire, you turn from the stove to the sink and bam, there it is.

Ken Shoemaker
03-23-2010, 8:38 AM
When I whacked the tips of two fingers off on the jointer a few weeks back, I was home along and bleeding like a bi***. I ran to the bathroom and found one of my wifes "pads".

I know the jokes will fly, but there is some covering on those things that keep them from sticking to the wound. And they can soak up all the blood you can throw at them. (Cheap too!)

Now I'm off to my pedicure.... Ken :D

Brian Tymchak
03-23-2010, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I tend to agree that assembling the contents is probably a better way to go. I was thinking last night that maybe I'll build the actual box myself. After all, I do have a woodshop... :D An opportunity to hang a nicely figured piece of wood on the wall. Will have to take care to make it moisture-proof. As some have pointed out, I hope to not use it very often except for the occasional splinter..

John, thanks for the tip on the splinter-outs. I've never heard of those before and they certainly will come in handy.

Neil, thanks for the link to the article. I would not have thought of a mirror and an antihistamine. I like the idea of having both of those in the kit. I must admit I'm wondering what the purpose of a thermometer might serve in a woodshop kit,, but at least it's an Oral thermometer.. ;)

Brian

Brian Tymchak
03-23-2010, 9:27 AM
Ah, more replies rolling in as I was writing.

Ken, yikes! That's some amazingly clear thinking in the heat of the moment! Not sure how I might explain to my wife why I'm stocking a couple of femine products in the shop... Will have to give that some thought..;)

Mark, Bill, great info! I will definitely be stocking the trauma dressings. Thanks!

Glenn, quick access. Great thinking. That will lead the list of requirements as I put my kit together. My thoughts now are that I will leave it wall mounted as I had originally thought, and very easy to pull the front down into a table position. I will make it bigger than I was thinking with the lid having a rim on the inside so that I can just pull stuff down and it will stay on the table. Hmm, might be time to finally learn sketch-up..

Mark, first aid class. Yep. Really like that idea. Will park myself in one of those. And the kit will hang on the wall right above my fire extinguisher.

Wow! The response on this thread has been tremendous. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks, Brian

Andrew Gibson
03-23-2010, 9:39 AM
As far a a home made box or cabinet for the wall goes I would think following the general rules of a Humidor would work. Line it with ceder and it should stay at a good moisture and keep any bugs out. Maybe a really cool first aid cross inlay would be in order.

As for what I have... I have a couple band-aids in my wallet that are always with me and get used periodically so they dont get to old. I usually have a bottle of water and a role of paper towels... maybe I should be a little better prepared.

Funny side story. I was driving a shuttle van for my University a few years ago and a girl got into the van and had cut herself on something. She asked me if I had a first aid kit in the van. I said no but I have a band-aid and pulled out my wallet. She looked at me funny and said, you keep band-aids in your wallet? and started laughing. I asked her if she wanted a band-aid or wanted to sit there and laugh at me while she bled. She took the band-aid, though she didn't need it because all her blood was in her face.

Matt Meiser
03-23-2010, 9:50 AM
Make sure you go through it once in a while too. I've found the cold packs sometimes apparently break down inside and if you are like me, you go through bandaids faster than you might think from minor scrapes, splintered edges, @##$%@$%# melamine, etc--stuff I'd never usually put a bandaid on but do so that I don't stain my work.

Frank Drew
03-23-2010, 3:32 PM
To David's very thorough list I'd add some trauma dressing which is more absorbent than ordinary gauze pads (rather like the sanitary napkins Ken used). The gallon of water for flushing is an excellent idea, particularly since a lot of shops don't have running water; sterile saline solution would be even better for lacerations.

Direct pressure and elevation are the best immediate treatments for lacerations, amputations, etc.

And keep the phone handy.

Frank Drew
03-23-2010, 3:40 PM
And make sure your tetanus vaccination is up to date if you cut yourself and decide not to go get treated at an ER or urgent care center.

Kevin Groenke
03-23-2010, 7:37 PM
Better to make your own than buy a kit:the kit will have stuff you don't need and won't have stuff you need. Easy open is good, as much as possible should be accessible/usable one-handed. A simple tackle-box works pretty well.

http://www.chirurgeon.org/graphics/main_kit.jpg

We have oft-used stuff (bandages, tape, 2x3 pads, triple antibiotic)in a tip-bins next to the safety glasses.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1783930I_lg.jpg

A couple specific things I like:

BloodStopper trauma dressing: an absorbent pad with a wrap built in, easy to open.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KBP88899L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Coban self adherent wrap(or clone): stretchy for compression, sticks to itself but not other stuff, tears easily. (VetWrap is less expensive and available at farm/fleet stores.
http://www.esteemhealthcare.co.nz/catalog/image/Coban%20Self%20Adherent%20Wrap%20Tan%2025mm.jpg

A cold-pack and a zip lock for "off-cuts": don't put the off-cuts directly on ice as they may get frostbitten and not be viable for re-attachment

-kg

Terry Sparks
03-24-2010, 12:04 AM
As a 30 year Paramedic/Firefighter I agree with David and Kevin in making up your own kit. Both have a good list of what is needed, and if I could add 1 item to the list, it would be a 1 liter bottle of steril 0.9% Saline Solution for use as an eye wash, soaking a steril dressing to wrap up a detactched finger, or to use with a large abdominal pad if needed.

Mike Bielby
03-24-2010, 12:31 AM
While its probably overkill I use the first aid kit I carried while in Afghanistan. If I really need a first aid kit then the tourniquets, Israeli dressings, and the blood clotting agent will do the job until I can get proper medical attention.

Joe Jensen
03-24-2010, 1:14 AM
What bandaids do you find most effective. I seem to go through plenty. It seems like the flexible bandaids work the best for me (stay on after a cut but still working in the shop). My Dr buddy gave me some 2nd skin type that are supposed to stay on until healed, but within a few hours in the shop it started to peel off and had to be replaced. I've taken to a regular bandaid and then some tape to really hold it in place.

Stephen Tashiro
03-24-2010, 1:24 AM
On the few times when I had a bad cut, I found it frustrating and amusing to try to open the wrappers on band-aids. Those things are designed for someone else to treat you, not for a guy with cut hand to apply to himself. I'd be interested to know if any these first aid products are designed to be unpackaged by the self injured.

Dave Sharpe
03-24-2010, 1:52 AM
I'm an ER nurse with over thirty years experience in field EMS and search and rescue, as well helicopter ambulance operations. I've never seen a commercially made first aid kit that was worth the expense. The limiting factor is always the knowledge base of the person using it. My suggestion is that you consider the types of injuries you expect to treat:

minor cuts and burns - an assortment of bandaids - cloth, not plastic and some neosporin or other antibacterial ointment. some tweezers for pulling out splinters would be handy.

major lacerations - 4x4 gauze pads or abd pads to cover the wound and absorb blood, and some means of holding them in place. Adhesive tape or roller gauze would be fine. Perhaps consider a ziploc bag for putting those loose fingers in for the trip to the ER.

Blunt force injuries - a cold pack or two. The frozen peas in the kitchen freezer would be fine for this, no need to buy a fancy chemical pack. If you need a cold pack, it's time to get out of the shop anyway. Use cold on the injury for the first day or two, THEN switch to heat. Don't apply heat to a fresh injury - it'll just get worse.

Eye injuries - I agree with the guys suggesting eye rinse. you can always use tap water - get in the shower and rinse thoroughly. Or you could use a bottle of normal saline but this is tough to use on your own.

Pain control - Don't use aspirin! Especially if dealing with cuts and bruises - aspirin is a great blood thinner and can make the problem worse. try Tylenol or Ibuprofen instead.

Regardless of what you have in your kit, know how to actually use it! Take a first aid class or two from the Red Cross, and consider what you would do in case of any kind of injury. Have a telephone and don't wait to call 911 in a significant injury. And be flexible - I can't tell you how many makeshift bandages I've seen made of duct tape or electrical tape. Use what you already have around the shop. You don't need sterile scissors when a shop knife will cut whatever you need - you're not doing surgery in your shop (I hope!!)

Vince Shriver
03-24-2010, 4:32 AM
If you can find them, lay in a stock of "butterfly" bandaides. Use these over a laceration to close the cut; sometime you may need more than one to accomplish it. They are very useful instead of stitches.

1. disinfect the cut (proxide works great for this)

2. close the cut with butterfly bandaide(s) - lay across [90 degrees] to cut

3. cover butterfly bandaides with regular bandaides or dressing

John Coloccia
03-24-2010, 8:13 AM
re: disinfecting the wound

My understanding is that pouring peroxide or alcohol on a cut is the wrong thing to do, as it kills healthy cells and actually increases risk of infection. I believe the proper way to do it is clean the area with water or saline, and then use an antibacterial ointment and wrap.

Maybe one of our experienced nurses can weigh in on this.

John Pratt
03-24-2010, 9:41 AM
I found it interesting that while at the Oklahoma City Woodcraft, I saw Quickclot bandages for sale. The Army has stopped using these because of some problems. Several soldiers had issues with these when used. two soldiers died when the bandage caused Anaphylactic shock and there are reports that there could be an issue with clots breaking loose and traveling through the bloodstream. Running a shop for the Army, I keep several Army style medic bags (more than a first aid kit, but not quite a paramedic bag)scattered around the shop at specific locations and the same at my home shop. Given the chance of a traumatic amputation or severe bleeding we keep a couple tourniquet type devices as well.

Karl Brogger
03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
My only recomendation is beyond having the normal assortment of bandaids and gauze/tape is to have plenty of the liquid bandage. I've saved myself literally thousands of dollars from not having to get something sewn up that just required a couple of stitches because of it. Just make sure its clean before you seal it up. For the really gruesome injuries, liquid bandage and some butterfly bandages over the top to hold it together better.

What bandaids do you find most effective.

3M Nexcare bandages are awesome, both the neoprene looking ones, and the cloth style.

Edwood Ferrari
03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Second the Sam's Club Kit

Dave Sharpe
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
My only recomendation is beyond having the normal assortment of bandaids and gauze/tape is to have plenty of the liquid bandage.

I've been amused that most ER's stock and use a product called Dermabond for closing small wounds in areas like scalps that are difficult to suture or bandage. After noticing the distinctive odor of this product I looked at the package and, sure enough, it's CA glue! Reminds of the rumor I'd heard that super glue was initially developed as a liquid bandage, and fits right in with what I mentioned in an earlier post - use what you already have in your shop. (I don't know, but I bet hospitals charge a lot more for Dermabond than a few drops of superglue are worth)

Sean Nagle
03-24-2010, 12:29 PM
My only recomendation is beyond having the normal assortment of bandaids and gauze/tape is to have plenty of the liquid bandage.

"Liquid Bandage." You mean whiskey? That's what they use in the old westerns :cool: A shot for the wound and a shot to kill the pain. Who needs saline.

Frank Drew
03-24-2010, 2:58 PM
re: disinfecting the wound

My understanding is that pouring peroxide or alcohol on a cut is the wrong thing to do, as it kills healthy cells and actually increases risk of infection. I believe the proper way to do it is clean the area with water or saline, and then use an antibacterial ointment and wrap.

According to the current thinking on wound care, you're correct, John, although peroxide still hangs on in many ERs. If the wound has any depth, peroxide in particular can cause more problems than it solves; similarly, saline solution is considered somewhat more appropriate than plain or sterile water for deep wound irrigation. And after care is also as you say -- antibiotic ointment a couple of times a day then covering, to keep the wound from drying out.

jason lambert
03-24-2010, 3:24 PM
I am a EMT for over 20 years and a firefigher, hazmat etc... Anyhow I aggree with most of the above. Make your own besides then you know what is in it and where. I would like to add.

~Tylenol is good if it works for you, no asprin as stated abbove.
~For my wood shop I use liquid banage new skin alot. Cover that minor cut and keep working so you don't get blood over everything also disinfects and keeps things out of the cut, can't say enought good things about it.
~Tweesers, splinters suck.
~spray disinfactant, great for road rasch and abbrations.
~Cling wrap
~EMT sheers
~a bottle of salene that can be used to flush a wond or wash a eye.
~ ton of bandades but if you have new skin you will use less bandaids.
~medical tape 2" wide.
~Oh yea last but not least a small CPR mask you never know.

David Hostetler
03-24-2010, 5:02 PM
Not in the medical field by any means, but I know what I have used in professional situations, including an auto repair shop, and in an office / scientific environment.

The Sams Club offering of the "Deluxe First Aid Center" (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=425547) is what I have seen in both situations, and have applied at home, one in the shop, one in each bathroom.

I have added 3 items to the selections that are missed by this kit. Those are...

#1. Ace bandage, at least 2" wide.
#2. Butterfly bandages.
#3. 2" wide first aid tape. You CAN get by with applying a LOT of smaller tape, the 2" just makes it easier...

There's plenty of disinfectants, gauze, Neosporin, etc... to keep most anyone happy...

Lee Koepke
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Heres one I built for my Dad ...

Frank Warta
03-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe a bit off topic, but I've always used a sharp razor blade to remove splinters. It's the way I was taught and since I often have splinters with little or no exposed part tweezers tend not to work well for me. Since there are so many qualified individuals here, I was wondering if this is considered an acceptable method?

Part of why I ask is I am (was) a rinse it out with peroxide guy. Same thing, it's just how I was raised. I remember the first time my dad took a pocket knife to my finger when I had a splinter I thought he'd lost his mind. Needless to say it's always worked for me but I know that sometimes that's just dumb luck so I'm wondering what the medical advice is for splinters without anything to grab?

John Coloccia
03-27-2010, 1:15 PM
I posted this on the first page, but I'll post again for newcomers to the thread.

http://www.medipoint.com/html/splinter_out.html

Best splinter removal I've ever used.

Frank Warta
03-27-2010, 1:28 PM
Thanks John! I'd scanned the earlier posts but clearly was moving too quick.

Van Huskey
03-27-2010, 2:53 PM
I found it interesting that while at the Oklahoma City Woodcraft, I saw Quickclot bandages for sale. The Army has stopped using these because of some problems. Several soldiers had issues with these when used. two soldiers died when the bandage caused Anaphylactic shock and there are reports that there could be an issue with clots breaking loose and traveling through the bloodstream. Running a shop for the Army, I keep several Army style medic bags (more than a first aid kit, but not quite a paramedic bag)scattered around the shop at specific locations and the same at my home shop. Given the chance of a traumatic amputation or severe bleeding we keep a couple tourniquet type devices as well.

Interesting, would this cover blood coagulants like Celox? I have always keeped them around just in case and was going to recommend one until I saw this.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2010, 8:49 AM
I use the "North" unitized construction first aid kits. They are the best I have found for what I do. For example they do not fill space with those small bandaids that only work for cuts we would ignore anyway, but they do come with three or four boxes of the one inch size that we commonly need. Everything is organized well, and everything you would need is in there.

I keep one in every truck, one in each job trailor, one at home, and two in the shop. They come in a sturdy metal case that does not fall apart, and if you leave the empty boxes in the case until replacements are procured they stay organized. As boxes are used you can order individual replacements from North. The bandaids, the most used item, are the fabric type that will last all day.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2010, 8:55 AM
As a 30 year Paramedic/Firefighter I agree with David and Kevin in making up your own kit. Both have a good list of what is needed, and if I could add 1 item to the list, it would be a 1 liter bottle of steril 0.9% Saline Solution for use as an eye wash, soaking a steril dressing to wrap up a detactched finger, or to use with a large abdominal pad if needed.

That is all fine and well in a personal shop, but if you have a business with employees you are required to have an approved first aid kit for every so many employees. Can't remember the #.

Karl Brogger
03-28-2010, 9:02 AM
A place I used to work at had a service that came through and re-filled all of the bandage boxes. I wish I would've remembered their name as they had a cloth type bandaid that was nice size, but one of the tails was about three times longer than the other and could wrap around a finger almost twice. It was a nice feature and they almost never fell off.