PDA

View Full Version : drill bit hollowing tool

Bob Hampton
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
poking around on you tube yesterday ..ran across the video of the guy that does hollowing using a drill bit ground with a sweep back grind ..looked like a good idea..
so since i didnt have anything else to do ..decided to try it ..now i have used several different tips on my hollowing endever..never really happy with any except the hook tool ..but when i tried this ...WOW..sweet!..i chucked up an 8" long blank for a vase about 3" diameter and with this tip in my freehand handle i hollowed it to about 1/4" wall thickness in about 5 min. I was pretty happy with this.
It took a bit of doing to figure out the right way to grind the tip shape and a bit to find the "sweet spot" when i started hollowing but it sure worked good.
so if anyone has been thinking about this try it ..it does work nice
Bob

Gary Conklin
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I do believe that, that "guy" is our own Jeff Nicol.

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Got any photos, I'd like to see this in action?

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Roger, try this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyN-RZOPB4M

Bill Bolen
03-22-2010, 1:59 PM
I've gotta agree, Jeff's drill bit idea works so well I've about stopped using the 3/16" hss square bits. WTG Jeff!...Bill..

Nick Fournier
03-22-2010, 2:22 PM
This sounds pretty interesting, does anyone know if someone sells drill bits with these grinds?

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 2:28 PM
This sounds pretty interesting, does anyone know if someone sells drill bits with these grinds?Nick, Jeff Nicol does sell them, along with a nice handled tool in which to insert the bit. I am at work and do not have his email address, but he has posted today as I recall. Just find one of his posts and PM him.

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 2:47 PM
WOW John, just watched the video is that cool or what?

Michael E. Thompson
03-22-2010, 2:53 PM
I have seen the same video a few months ago and made this tool as well. I agree with Bob, it cuts very well, especially end grain. Nice long curls and easy cutting.

Jeff Nicol
03-22-2010, 3:44 PM
Well here I am, the drill bit guy! I wanted something that I could make myself and do what some of the $100+ tools were claiming in the catalogs and forum posts. I like to make everything I can as it gives me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I have shut my website down for now but am working on updating it and getting all the videos in one place again. My web guy moved to Austin Texas and has not got all his stuff set up yet. Send me a PM and I can give you more info if needed.

Jeff

Mark Hubl
03-22-2010, 3:50 PM
Jeff,

Do you have a video on how you do the grind?

Gary Conklin
03-22-2010, 5:52 PM
William/Jeff are you guys using this setup for blind hollowing too?

Jeff Nicol
03-22-2010, 6:09 PM
Jeff,

Mark, No video yet but I guess I could make one. I was selling them and trying to make a buck but I shut down the website and the store due to my worn out body and bad back. I will try and get one made and produced and put on Youtube soon.

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
03-22-2010, 6:13 PM
William/Jeff are you guys using this setup for blind hollowing too?
Gary, I use mine on deep hollowing in vases and things to get to the beginning depth. They are limited by the hole you are hollowing through as to how much you can reach. Then I switch to a bent or gooseneck tool using a table saw blade cutter of my own making. When I am cutting wet wood it cuts so well that I have to stop and clean out the curls when they fill the void in the HF or vase.

Jeff

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 6:38 PM
Then I switch to a bent or gooseneck tool using a table saw blade cutter of my own making. When I am cutting wet wood it cuts so well that I have to stop and clean out the curls when they fill the void in the HF or vase.

JeffYes it does!! Just came in from using my "WoodenNicol" tool!;):D Keep the air hose right at the lathe!

Dave Haughs
03-22-2010, 7:25 PM
Jeff,

I'd like to know how to do the grind!

Charles Bouchelle
03-22-2010, 7:51 PM
What size bit did you use for this new cool tool??

Gary Conklin
03-22-2010, 8:01 PM
Gary, I use mine on deep hollowing in vases and things to get to the beginning depth. They are limited by the hole you are hollowing through as to how much you can reach. Then I switch to a bent or gooseneck tool using a table saw blade cutter of my own making. When I am cutting wet wood it cuts so well that I have to stop and clean out the curls when they fill the void in the HF or vase.

Jeff

Any info on that cutter, I don't recall seeing it on the site.

Steve Vaughan
03-22-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks for that tip, and I'm gonna give that a try right there!

Jeff Nicol
03-23-2010, 7:50 AM
O.K. I give! I have a little PDF file that shows mostly how it is done, I will get a video made later today and posted on Youtube for all to see! There goes the profits!! HA! HA! If you want the file just PM me and give me your e-mail. I tried to attach it here but it is to big.

Hear from you soon,

Jeff

Chris Zeigler
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Jeff,
I think you could charge a nominal fee for the plans, I'm sure there are lots of people here who would be willing to pay for them. I know I am always willing to pay for an innovative idea that saves me time.

Chris

Richard Coers
03-23-2010, 1:07 PM
At the start of the video, you can see some torn grain on the walnut blank. Have you gotten a cleaner cut than that with your experience?

Mark Norman
03-23-2010, 5:36 PM
There goes the profits!! HA! HA! If you want the file just PM me and give me your e-mail. I tried to attach it here but it is to big
Jeff

Giving away yer retirement Jeff!!!

You are a generous man, and I thank you for that.

God bless you my friend.

Mark

Dennis Dupont
01-02-2011, 4:06 PM
Then I switch to a bent or gooseneck tool using a table saw blade cutter of my own making.

Jeff

Any possibility of seeing pics or a video on this tool. If it is anything near as good as the drill bit tool I will rush to the shop to try it out. Thanks for the great ideas!