PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
22 Mar 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
I sure hope you missed me last week. ;)

Normally, I post the weekend accomplishments no matter where I am located. Well, last week, things fell in place for me to take the family on a family vacation to the Smoky Mountains. This is the 3rd vacation in 20 years and we were way past due. Thanks to our tax returns, we had the money to go and we did.!! This was also our daughter's senior trip, she chose where she wanted to go, and we shared a log cabin with the LOML's sister, her husband, and their 2 kids so we could reduce expenses. It was FANTASTIC and we all needed time to just get away and rejuvenate our minds, body's, and souls for the first time in a very long time. Surprisingly enough, there were a lot of the roads in the Smokies still closed due to snow and ice. This was the first time I've seen the Smokies capped with snow and ice since I've been around those mountains.

Here is a couple of pics for proof of the trip.
This is the helicopter ride I got for my daughter and her best friend (that she took along on the trip with us). This was her friend's 1st time to fly, ever.

This is a picture of the boys playing with the 10,275 pound granite ball in front of Ripley's Believe It or Not, in downtown Gatlinburg, TN. The ball rides on water that is 1/254th of an inch thick where the ball and the bearing surface meets. The ball can be stopped and pushed in any direction.

To keep this all woodworking related?
I checked out a couple of wood shops that carved signs, nameplates, and some really nice wood carvings.

Well, that's it for me. So what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Myk Rian
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm in the process of making 14 16"x16"x16" boxes for the Tap dancers in our upcoming Christmas show for the senior center.
5 down, 9 to go.

Rod Sheridan
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow Dennis, sounds like a great trip.

I installed a UHF TV antenna so I can watch all the digital stations from Buffalo and Toronto.

As well as worked, we had one of those weekend equipment maintenance releases that start at 03:00 and run to 08:00, what a way to wreck your day.

Regards, Rod.

Terry Hatfield
03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I did miss you, Dennis but SO glad that ALL of you got to go!

I watched it snow and did some re-orgainzation in my bench. Other than that I was a vegetable.

Hope everyone has a blessed week!!

t

Dan Gill
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I felt guilty when I looked out in the shop and didn't do any woodworking. Does that count?

Rob Lindquist
03-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I installed all the lower cabinets, island, sink, garbage disposer, gas range, refrigerator with ice:D (for Old Fashions) and dishwasher in the cabin.

Found my frig cabinet went right where a can light was, so I removed that and moved it over to the next cavity between joists. That was fun, removing a screwed in can and getting it out of the 6" hole, then getting it back through a 6" hole and reinstalling, it was too far to go get a remodel can light. I used the 6" cut out for repairing the old location.

Sorry no pics, (so I know, "it didn't happen"). This week I hope to build the uppers, and install this weekend so next weekend hopefully I will have finished kitchen pics. The cabinets were on the weekend accomplishments about a month ago.

I did find the (110volt) outlet for the gas range was dead, no power?:confused: All breakers are on and all other outlets have power, so next weekend I need to figure out what is up with that. Any ideas on how to track that down? I don't remember where the wire comes from. All GFI's are good, all switched outlets for the under toe kick rope lights work. The under cabinet light wires are not hooked up, so it could be that it acidentally got on that circuit and will be switched with the undercabinets lights.

Jim O'Dell
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I took some vacation time also, Wed through Fri. Then the weekend. Quick trip to OK to see my parents and bring back a riding lawn mower. Fix lawn mower, work in shop, fix 2 broken poles on the fence, and rest. Not quite in that order, but close. :rolleyes: Now I'm suffering back at work. ;) Jim.

David Helm
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Worked in the gardens on Saturday and did the finish wiring in my shop/office rebuild on Sunday. It's always a miracle when you flip the switch and things work. Vacation!!! What is a vacation?

Brian Tymchak
03-22-2010, 1:34 PM
Started the spring yardwork - edging the beds, spreading mulch, tuned up the mower, fertilized the yard. Only 2 weeks after the snow has melted, and I already have grass and dandelions growing in the beds..

Watched the Buckeyes make it to the Sweet 16. ... Sweet!!... Go Bucks!!

Did find time to get into the shop and forget to back up a mortise I was chiseling out and blew out the opposite face... stupid thing to do, got in a hurry to get one thing done before calling it a night last night. Now I have more work to fix that and make it look good. At least it won't be all that visible. ...In hind sight, probably should've stayed out of the shop all together this weekend..

Brian

Larry LaRoque
03-22-2010, 1:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Lindquist;1379952]I installed all the lower cabinets, island, sink, garbage disposer, gas range, refrigerator with ice:D (for Old Fashions) and dishwasher in the cabin.

Found my frig cabinet went right where a can light was, so I removed that and moved it over to the next cavity between joists. That was fun, removing a screwed in can and getting it out of the 6" hole, then getting it back through a 6" hole and reinstalling, it was too far to go get a remodel can light. I used the 6" cut out for repairing the old location.

QUOTE]

Wow! I'm exhusted just reading about it.;) All I did was go to wife's family reunion on Saturday and "piddle" (Dad's word) in the shop building a drill press table extension and practicing hand cut dovetails.

Neil Brooks
03-22-2010, 2:19 PM
Front hallway bench took on a little water (leaky bike water bottle). MDF top swelled.

Tiled it. Am currently working on the panels, and re-sawn veneer, to frame it out in leftover African Mahogany.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S6KbpKxXBVI/AAAAAAAAA3w/NbI5X0O99pQ/s512/P1040726.JPG

Got the finish onto the Mission Style Night Stand -- well, onto ONE of them; 2nd is in process!:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S6QEtUKPeRI/AAAAAAAAA4g/9AGYhbhhKcg/s512/P1040731.JPG

Now ... tired ... very, very tired ;)

Thoughts are still with you and yours, for your Dad, Dennis....

Kirk Simmons
03-22-2010, 2:22 PM
Glued up planks for my Kindgergarten birdhouse building project. 10 birdhouses down, 17 more to go.

Fred Voorhees
03-22-2010, 4:36 PM
Got about 80% complete with a four foot high raised panel floor cabinet for a freind. That was pretty much Friday night and Saturday. Saturday morning was spent cleaning up branches and twigs and stuff from last weeks Nor'easter than came through. Also took a quick trip to the bank to do some changing around account-wide to better accomodate our current lifestyles here at casaVoorhees. Had a quick surprise visit by our own Mr. James Becker who was in the area dropping off one of his daughters at a volunteer tabby place. Sunday morning was just a bit of relaxing and waiting on the usual gang of suspects for the days NASCAR event. Barbecue chicken, shrimp cocktail, a few different kinds of chips and even a birthday cake for one of the guys was on yesterdays menu.

Jaze Derr
03-22-2010, 7:35 PM
I worked on the bottom of the benchtop, and got one good leg and one failure glued up!

And I spent way too much time on the computer reading woodworking forums...

Bill Franklin
03-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Got the 220v and extra 110v circuits in my garage I had been procrastinating about all winter. Let the planing begin. :)

Joe Shinall
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Spent $300 on a garden... Not my idea but hope it helps when I spend $300 on a new tool :D

Did do some woodworking for the garden though. Made the frame out of stacked timbers :rolleyes: At least I got to use the chopsaw and drill.

Allen Schmid
03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Worked Friday/Sunday, had a relaxed Saturday (waited for the new snow fall to melt) with a little time in the shop and then a great evening out with the family to see the Del McCoury Band! My son was able to get all the band to sign his newly purchased cd and photos to boot! Also caught some NCAA men's b-ball...I am a new fan of Cornell, my Badgers took one on the chin.
Allen

Ted Calver
03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Also spent money on the garden. Four yards of compost so far. My picumup will hold two yards at a wack, so two loads in one day wears me and my old wheelbarrow out! Now to add two yards of bark fines and a couple of yards of sand. Maybe something will grow this year. I'd hate for all those bugs to go hungry :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I played with my new granddaughters and changed diapers on both of them twice!

Today I flew home.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2010, 8:23 AM
Ken, sounds like you had the most rewarding weekend so far.........Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
03-23-2010, 8:29 AM
Dug out the plants in the front hard-scapeing that grew larger than anticipated. Trimmed back some "bushes" that threatened to become trees if left un-tended. Cleaned up more "stuff" in the shop as another step towards my current re-org efforts. Started a SketchUp of an under the bench drawer unit.

Matt Meiser
03-23-2010, 9:00 AM
LOML and I went to an antique tractor show near Fort Wayne, IN and spent the weekend over there and LOML Jr went to grandma and grandpa's. Other than the tractor show, mostly LOML shopped though I did manage to visit Woodcraft We came home Sunday around noon and LOML and I thoroughly cleaned the insides of our vehicles which were disgusting after a messy winter.

Shawn Pixley
03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I am redoing the cabinets in the Master Bath - 16' long. Cut all the drawer fronts, cut new handles, and sanded the panels down to 220. One coat of BLO. Doesn't sound like much.

Worked on tuning up a cheap craftsman plane I was given. Can now cut transparent shavings on mahogany.