PDA

View Full Version : Dude, just go through the car wash.

Mitchell Andrus
03-22-2010, 9:41 AM
Intense off road driving in a 1.5 million dollar car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJmB1F2mdE&feature=related

Maybe he was on the phone with his banker.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
That video would make a good CarFax commercial.

Jim Rimmer
03-22-2010, 1:14 PM
That happened here in one of the Houston suburbs.
Ever since it happened I wondered why the guy was taking the video. The attached news story says the filmer was fascinated by the car; OK. It also states that a low flying pelican caused the driver to swerve and he dropped his cell phone. I guess was trying to retrieve it when he went off road. (BTW - no pelican in the video and they are big enough that you wouldn't miss it if it was in the video).

Mitchell Andrus
03-22-2010, 2:05 PM
That happened here in one of the Houston suburbs.
Ever since it happened I wondered why the guy was taking the video. The attached news story says the filmer was fascinated by the car; OK. It also states that a low flying pelican caused the driver to swerve and he dropped his cell phone. I guess was trying to retrieve it when he went off road. (BTW - no pelican in the video and they are big enough that you wouldn't miss it if it was in the video).

Maybe he was behind on the payments. He wouldn't have been counting on the kids with the video camera.

Colin Giersberg
03-23-2010, 8:05 PM
A car like that probably only has three payments: The initial down payment, halfway through the build and then at delivery. I have been watching TV shows and You tube videos of the Veyron and it is one impressive car. 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds; 60-0 in 2.3 seconds; ten radiators of which three are for the engine; W-16 engine that isn't much longer than a V-8; $35,000 for a set of tires; twin transmissions in one housing, one for the even gears and one for the odd gears; all wheel drive;top speed is 252 mph; and last but not least, the cost of 1.7 million.

Colin

Neal Clayton
03-23-2010, 9:07 PM
and the 35,000 set of tires only last a few minutes at that speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs

but that's ok because it runs out of gas 3 minutes before the tires go ;).

Pat Germain
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I saw that when it was reported on CNN a few months ago. I was also suspicious. It was awfully convenient that the guy "crashed" into very shallow water with nothing else around to hit and he didn't drive off a bridge. I agree he wasn't counting on the kids with a camcorder.

There's a very good episode of "Top Gear" which focuses on that Audi. Interestingly, even at a price of 1.5 million, Audi loses money on every one they sell. The objective is to improve the cachet of the Audi brand.

Craig D Peltier
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
On Modern Marvels they showed how they were made. I think it has something like 12 radiators all handmade. Theres no frame, they bolt the back middle and front together with something like 12 bolts worth $100 each.The first time thye tested the car there was soemthing like 8 foot flame out the back of the pipes at all times.
Parts get delivered in briefcases.Im not in debate its worth it but its one in its own.