PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Blanks

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 9:36 AM
Yesterday in another post someone stated that I had a "wood problem". I denied that. But for the sake of full disclosure, I had just finished cutting and anchorsealing these spalted maple blanks from my woodpile. And yes, on Saturday I had gone and looked at some storm damaged Holly and Atlantic White Cedar that I will be cutting up later this week. Accumulating wood faster than I can use it does not constitute a problem however.;):D

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2010, 9:42 AM
Great looking wood Baxter! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of that spalted!

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 9:46 AM
Still in a state of denial.....:( Soooo sad to see someone spiraling down like that.....

Baxter, there is hope, but the only way out is to quit cold turkey. I suggest you start by shipping me all the spalted maple. It is the least I can do, and as an inducement for your recovery, I will pay shipping!;)

bob svoboda
03-22-2010, 9:58 AM
Still in a state of denial.....:( Soooo sad to see someone spiraling down like that.....

Baxter, there is hope, but the only way out is to quit cold turkey. I suggest you start by shipping me all the spalted maple. It is the least I can do, and as an inducement for your recovery, I will pay shipping!;)

It warms my heart to see the milk of human kindness so prevalent in this forum. So nice of you to be willing to help, John.:p

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
It warms my heart to see the milk of human kindness so prevalent in this forum. So nice of you to be willing to help, John.:pBob, just a random act of kindness.....:)

Roland Martin
03-22-2010, 10:38 AM
That pile of spalted is really pleasing to the eye Baxter. I'm with John, you are in trouble, but you obviously would be enabling another addict if you send that to Kentucky. The detoxification would be completely unbearable if left in Delaware, it really needs to go "North". I am here to help Baxter, trust me:D:D

charlie knighton
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
"wood problem".

trust, looking forward, help, random act of kindness, spirling down

no problemo, i beleive i can relieve you of your burden

good looking wood Baxtor :D:D

Gary Chester
03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't listen to them Baxter... send it WEST!!!

I think we'd all like to see a picture of the wood pile you keep refering to, probably have to use Google Satelite Map feature tho...:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Baxter that is a great looking pile of wood. Should be some nice turnings.

Oh and Baxter, just keep telling yourself you don't have a problem. I am sure it will all come out in the wash.;):D:rolleyes::cool:

Leo Van Der Loo
03-22-2010, 2:59 PM
Yesterday in another post someone stated that I had a "wood problem". I denied that. But for the sake of full disclosure, I had just finished cutting and anchorsealing these spalted maple blanks from my woodpile. And yes, on Saturday I had gone and looked at some storm damaged Holly and Atlantic White Cedar that I will be cutting up later this week. Accumulating wood faster than I can use it does not constitute a problem however.;):D

Totally agree with you Baxter I have the same "No problem" :p :rolleyes:
But, that's some very promising Maple Baxter, the REAL problem is that it will keep on rotting, you better get it roughed out, and that's where this real problem comes to play So much wood and so little time :eek:
I will understand if we wont hear from you for a week or two :rolleyes: :D

Mark Hubl
03-22-2010, 3:08 PM
Be very careful, spalted wood can be dangerous. Send it to me for proper quarantine.:D

Nice pile, to add to your other pile, which is sitting on the other pile.

John Tomasello jr
03-22-2010, 7:39 PM
So much wood so little time. Baxter don't listen to them we are just about neighbors I will help you out by taking that wood off your hands.

David E Keller
03-22-2010, 8:24 PM
Great gloat... If that wood were at my house, I would have to hide it quickly... The LOML has formed an opinion(erroneous opinion) that I too suffer from some kind of wood hoarding disorder. If you get in a pinch, I can store some of that maple here for safe keeping as long as SHE doesn't find out.;)

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 8:32 PM
Thank you all for offering to help out!:) North, South and West.

It warms my heart to see the milk of human kindness so prevalent in this forum. So nice of you to be willing to help, John.:p

My heart was warmed as well Bob. With John's preference for dry wood, I would have assumed that he would have wanted to be paid to take it. In this case he just went above and beyond.:);)

Don't listen to them Baxter... send it WEST!!!

I think we'd all like to see a picture of the wood pile you keep refering to, probably have to use Google Satelite Map feature tho...:D
There isn't much left to the pile Gary. I tried to pick through and get whatever wasn't too small before it deteriorated any more.

But, that's some very promising Maple Baxter, the REAL problem is that it will keep on rotting, you better get it roughed out, and that's where this real problem comes to play So much wood and so little time :eek:

I was hoping doing this would buy me some time!:eek: I had to cut 2-3 inches off each end to get rid of the checking so I could seal a solid surface and bring it inside. I had hoped to put this somewhere behind the plum, cherry burl, leftover apple, white birch, Northern White cedar, and the Holly and Atlantic White Cedar I am going to get this week. Once I got that done, then I could start on my dry stuff. Somehow I just don't feel the need to pay for more!;)
Like I said, I don't have a "wood problem".:) "Time and ambition" I'm not so sure about!;)

Donny Lawson
03-22-2010, 8:55 PM
Nice Spalted Maple.I'm a sucker for that stuff.I like to spalt my own. I do find alot of it at work though.I've got about 20 bowls drying right now and probally 14 of them is spalted maple.I do have some spalted Walnut that turned out nice.I've been working with it since last year.
Donny