PDA

View Full Version : More Bowls

MIKE E BEE
03-22-2010, 7:26 AM
Its been a couple of weeks since my last post but there certainly has been no shortage of turning going on here. I am still working the DNA drying system and having very good results at least with maple and cherry. I tried it with some apple wood and have not had very good results. Lots of cracking issues. So I took a different approach there and have been trying Steve Russels boiling method with a twist. After boiling the wood I let it cool down and then soak it in the DNA. For a test I did 4 rough outs, boiled them all, 2 were wrapped in bags after they cooled down and 2 were soaked in the dna and then put in bags. So far so good. The ones soaked in the dna are losing weight a bit faster, which is expected, but all are holding their own without any cracking and minimul warping.
Below are a couple of my recent finish turns. The first is from a rotted apple burl. (my first burl) It was a good size burl but by the time I got rid of all the rot, I was only left with 2 small workable pieces. This is one of them, the other is still drying. This one was boiled and then saoked in DNA. It is 8 inches by 2 inches high and finished with 2 coats of minwax antique oil.

The second in Cherry. This one was roughed out, soaked in DNA, bagged and dried for 10 days. It is 6.5 inches by 4 inches high and finished with a few coats of Mr. Boos butcher block oil.

I took these pics with a camera instead of my cell phone so I would assume they should be much better than my previous pics. I had it set on macro and set to superfine. Let me know I can make any tweeks to improve the quality now that I have many more options.

Thanks Guys....enjoy!!!

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 7:45 AM
The photos are a lot better than your previous ones. I like these two bowls better than any of the one you have shown so far. Apple has a lot of character but I keep going back to the cherry, I think I like it the best. I like the foot on that one. Keep them coming.

Now that you are using a camera instead of the cell phone for pictures, you might want to ask for suggestions on setup also. I remember one members post that said he took a photo of his finished project while it was sitting on his table and posted it online for sale. In 3 weeks it had not sold so he took a second photo of it in a photo tent (homemade) and it sold the same day he posted it.

MIKE E BEE
03-22-2010, 7:50 AM
The photos are a lot better than your previous ones. I like these two bowls better than any of the one you have shown so far. Apple has a lot of character but I keep going back to the cherry, I think I like it the best. I like the foot on that one. Keep them coming.

Now that you are using a camera instead of the cell phone for pictures, you might want to ask for suggestions on setup also. I remember one members post that said he took a photo of his finished project while it was sitting on his table and posted it online for sale. In 3 weeks it had not sold so he took a second photo of it in a photo tent (homemade) and it sold the same day he posted it.

Hi Roger,
Yes I do recall that posting and sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Mike

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 7:53 AM
Mike, definite improvement - in form and pics! You did well holding together the apple burl - looks like it was a challenge. The cherry bowl is nice, and is my favorite of the two. A feature that I struggle with is placing the convex portion of the ogee lower on the bowl - about 1/3 up from the bottom. Hard for me to consistently do, but it seems to really help the look.

The photo tent is next!! I hope to get one done in the next couple of weeks!

Roland Martin
03-22-2010, 9:14 AM
I have a real hard time disliking anything turned in apple. I understand it is very tempermental to work with, but the colors & character is awesome. I'm sure I will try it someday, but I need to be learned some more. Nice work on the apple bowl. The cherry has a unique form with the beaded foot, and I really like the rim detail on it. Very nice work on both of these Mike.

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 9:21 AM
Both are nice bowls Mike. I think these are my favorites of the ones you have done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2010, 9:37 AM
Nice work on both of these bowls Mike!

Just something to think about - a lot of times you want to place details at the 1/3 or 2/3 height position to draw attention to that area. When the details are located in the center of the piece - it effectively cuts the piece in half and doesn't draw attention to anything other than itself. Just my opinion.

When it comes to photos - it helps to have plenty of light and a neutral background. Other than that - take lots of photos and see what setup works the best for you.

Gary Chester
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
One wild bowl and one utility bowl... both Very Nice!

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 7:18 PM
Really nice Mike on both. Pictures look good.

John Tomasello jr
03-22-2010, 7:22 PM
Nice bowls, really like the apple

MIKE E BEE
03-22-2010, 7:45 PM
Thanks Guys for all your comments.

Nice advice on the detail Steve. I will certainly take that into acount on my next one.

I think I will also make a small photo tent to improve the pics and also add some consistancy to the album.

Thanks for taking the time gents!!

Mike

David E Keller
03-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Very nice on both counts.

I particularly like the burl piece just because it's a gnarly chuck of wood.

Great progress!