PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 3rd along with almost done 4th!

James Williams 007
03-22-2010, 4:23 AM
Ok the rainbow poplar bowl was the first bowl I roughed out from green wood and the first bowl I attempted. I love the color of this bowl but I had a time with tear out because it was such a soft wood. It is 8x3 and finished with General salad bowl finish which is the only finish I have used so far it seems to work well and I have a bit left over from the cutting board endeavor. The second bowl is a little chunk of curly maple and it is around 2x4. I love turning maple! The fourth bowl is a work in progress. I wanted to sweep it in a little narrower at the bottom but I was limited by my chuck and the jaws I had but I wanted to keep a real organic round shape to the piece so this is what I came up with. Hollowing this bowl made me realize how much more I need to learn and that I need a few more tools, I did this all with a 3/8" bowl gouge and a 1/2" scraper:o. Sanding has been a learning experience with the NE. I tried using my hand and lost some skin and some of the bark that I really wanted to keep:eek:! Then I found an abrasive ball and a 2" hook and loop disk that I mount on my drill this seems to work well enough but I still need to sand to 600 grit and don't know how I am going to do that unless I do it by hand off the lathe. Alright tell me what you think and any advice is always appreciated :D.

Norm Zax
03-22-2010, 4:27 AM
All nice work. The NE is well made. The fourth is quite impressive What wood is that?

James Williams 007
03-22-2010, 4:32 AM
Sorry, the wood on the NE bowl is a Ramon burl??? Or at least that's what the guy wrote on the side of the block I've never heard of it though.

Roland Martin
03-22-2010, 6:38 AM
These are all very nice turnings James. Very nice wood, form and finish.

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 7:30 AM
Nice work, James. Poplar can be a challenge even in flatwork - tends to be fuzzy when finishing. I like all of them, but the poplar form seems to appeal to me more.

Have you considered gluing on a waste block to use as a tenon or recess so you can better access the base of the turning? The way, you could get the more narrow base, and part off the waste when it is done. Just a thought.

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Nice work on everything James! Good looking NE! I'm a big fan of curly and this bowl is a great example why! Beautiful grain!

Frank Van Atta
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Ramone Burl. It's beautiful wood and I turn a lot of it. Never fails to please.

I do almost all NE bowl sanding by hand with the lathe turning. Takes a soft and careful touch, but it works. Sometimes you have to be extra careful right at the edge. Say you're sanding the outside. With the lathe running, sand as close as you can get to the edge without actually touching it - then turn the lathe off and sand the small strip left by hand. This little bit of area doesn't take long to do. Same procedure on the inside. The main thing is really pay attention to where you hands and fingers are.

You might also slow the lathe way down to do the sanding.

John Tomasello jr
03-22-2010, 7:13 PM
Good job on them some beautiful wood.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2010, 7:20 PM
Really nice looking pieces. NE really looks good..

David E Keller
03-22-2010, 8:28 PM
Nice work on all three. The two finished pieces look great, and the NE piece is on its way. All three are made from really pretty wood. I like the little rim details on the two finished pieces as well.