PDA

View Full Version : Senco Finishpro 35

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2004, 5:43 AM
Senco FinishPro 35 is on sale at Lowes. Anyone have experience with this 15 gauge nailer? If so, what is your opinion on it's performance.

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2004, 9:55 AM
I bought this gun along with 2 others in a kit at Home Depot for $199, you should check with your HD or even on line.

My thoughts, well in my experience with Senco in the past, I was expecting much higher quality then what I got. I think it is a good gun for a hobbiest, but I'd hate to see how it would hold up in everyday work. Very light weight. The PC guns I have are much better built. BTW, I returned the kit.

So if you are just using for shop/hobby work it should be fine, if for more then I would consider stepping up to their more heavy duty model or another brand.

Jim Fancher
11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
I bought the 3 gun kit from Homedepot.com for $199 + tax. Free shipping. If you don't like what you get, they pay to return it. All of the paperwork is included.

I'm a hobbyist and I think the nailers will hold up well.

This kit includes an angled 15 gauge finish nailer FinishPro 35, an 18 gauge brad nailer FinishPro 15 and an 18 gauge finish stapler SLS15.

http://www.suburbangarage.com/tech/sencokit/sencokit.jpg

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2004, 1:31 PM
thanks Jim and Scott! I will look into HD and see whats what. I might go to a heavier duty gun because I am doing more and more work outside of the "shop"(backyard patio-shop still in the works).

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2004, 2:26 PM
Unless your in a business, I would think these would be fine. My concern was more from if you did finish carpentry work. My guns get banged around some when I work on jobs, I was a little concern with the guage of metal used. But if you plan to use in your shop or around the house, I think they'll hold just fine. Another reson I returned them was I was told they had the larger brad nailer then what they did. It's till a heck of a buy at $199. I know Senco has always had a high quality name.

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2004, 4:23 PM
Unless your in a business, I would think these would be fine. My concern was more from if you did finish carpentry work. My guns get banged around some when I work on jobs, I was a little concern with the guage of metal used. But if you plan to use in your shop or around the house, I think they'll hold just fine. Another reson I returned them was I was told they had the larger brad nailer then what they did. It's till a heck of a buy at $199. I know Senco has always had a high quality name.
I am in somewhat of a business. I do a lot of remodeling. I also build plenty of cabinets. Now, Scott knowing this, would you recommend it for this type of use. When you refer to the gauge of metal used, what are you talking about--the gauge of the nail or the gauge of the gun's body?

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2004, 4:47 PM
You can check it out at Lowe's for yourself to get a feel, but the metal used to make it seems thin to me. It uses the same nails as the others. It's just my opinion, but I bet Senco is building a cheaper classed gun to hit the home/hobbiest market. I take care of my tools pretty good, but when doing a finish job the gun gets dropped, dragged, etc. One quick thing to look at is the foam/rubber grip. On the one your talking about it is a thin piece of rubber that is wrapped. The ones I bought were already coming apart straight out of the box. My PC guns a much, much better. It's the little things, the details.

So all that being said, if I would either look at the PC guns or the Senco 40 series.

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2004, 8:00 PM
You can check it out at Lowe's for yourself to get a feel, but the metal used to make it seems thin to me. It uses the same nails as the others. It's just my opinion, but I bet Senco is building a cheaper classed gun to hit the home/hobbiest market. I take care of my tools pretty good, but when doing a finish job the gun gets dropped, dragged, etc. One quick thing to look at is the foam/rubber grip. On the one your talking about it is a thin piece of rubber that is wrapped. The ones I bought were already coming apart straight out of the box. My PC guns a much, much better. It's the little things, the details.

So all that being said, if I would either look at the PC guns or the Senco 40 series.
Thanks! I'll take your advice and look at the PC. Amazon will take 25 dollars off the price, and all I'm interested in getting is the 15 gauge nail gun (I already have a Craftsman heavy duty stapler and a Craftsman 18 gauge brad nailer). Both of these are the older heavier type, and I'm happy with them. I would get the Craftsman because its magnesum and light, and I like it. But it never goes on sale. Thanks again for your insight.

Tom Peterson
11-08-2004, 10:37 PM
I bought the PC angled finish nailer which I believe you are looking at. I had used a friends and liked it so I bought one. Hasn't jamed, is light weight (new series) and the price was right.

Dave Wright #2
11-08-2004, 11:29 PM
The FinishPro 35 is from Senco's Pro Series. 1 year warrantee, made in the Far East, oil gun. The foam grip feels fragile to me, and I have read reports of it tearing easily in use.

Senco also has a 15 gauge gun in their Xtreme Pro Series, the FinishPro 41XP. 2 year warrantee, made in America, oil-free gun. The grip is durable feeling molded on rubber. Spare no-mar pad stored on board. Magnesium housing. Exhaust direction is adjustable. It's a much better gun at (of course) a higher price.

I don't have a 41 XP, but have been using its 18 gauge little brother, the 25XP, for several months. After a couple thousand brads I'm happy with the purchase. It seems to be designed and built well. Convenient, durable, comfortable, hasn't jammed.

aurelio alarcon
11-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I bought the PC angled finish nailer which I believe you are looking at. I had used a friends and liked it so I bought one. Hasn't jamed, is light weight (new series) and the price was right.Tom, yes, it looks like a nice gun. And the price is pretty nice. The new Craftsman angled finish nailer is made of magnesium and lightweight too. And I liked the weight and feel of it in my hand. I'll have to take Scott's advice and go check out the PC at the local big box befor I buy and see if I like the feel of it too.

aurelio alarcon
11-09-2004, 12:16 AM
The FinishPro 35 is from Senco's Pro Series. 1 year warrantee, made in the Far East, oil gun. The foam grip feels fragile to me, and I have read reports of it tearing easily in use.

Senco also has a 15 gauge gun in their Xtreme Pro Series, the FinishPro 41XP. 2 year warrantee, made in America, oil-free gun. The grip is durable feeling molded on rubber. Spare no-mar pad stored on board. Magnesium housing. Exhaust direction is adjustable. It's a much better gun at (of course) a higher price.

I don't have a 41 XP, but have been using its 18 gauge little brother, the 25XP, for several months. After a couple thousand brads I'm happy with the purchase. It seems to be designed and built well. Convenient, durable, comfortable, hasn't jammed.The 41XP is a very nice gun. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range. But you are right, Senco makes a great nail gun. Thanks for your input.

Jim Fancher
11-10-2004, 3:25 PM
I tested out my FP35 and FP15 last night. I ran about 100 nails through both and couldn't get either to jam. The depth of drive was easy to set and had lots of adjustability.

As stated before, the grips are terrible. Originally I thought they were foam covers protecting rubber grips underneath. :)

I think I'll be keeping my set and making my own rubber grips.

Hoa Dinh
11-10-2004, 3:34 PM
I at one point had both a PC and a DW. I think they are comparable in quality, but the DW just feels better in my hand. I also like its depth adjustment better than that on the PC.

Amazon has the DW for $179. This is the best price I've ever seen. Add something to make the order $199 and claim $25 off.

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2004, 4:09 PM
Thanks! I'll take your advice and look at the PC. Amazon will take 25 dollars off the price, and all I'm interested in getting is the 15 gauge nail gun (I already have a Craftsman heavy duty stapler and a Craftsman 18 gauge brad nailer). Both of these are the older heavier type, and I'm happy with them. I would get the Craftsman because its magnesum and light, and I like it. But it never goes on sale. Thanks again for your insight.

I've had Craftesman's 15 gauge (straight) finish nailer and their 2" capacity brad nailer for about 7-8 years. They are extremely well made and I have had no problems. Great guns. I also have PC's Upholstry, Bigger 1/4" Crown staplers and they are really nice as well, and a Campbell Hausfield 1/4" Crown Stapler, and it is built like a tank.... all we're better built then the Senco ones in the this kit. I've looked at the Dewalt, but no experience with it at all but it wouldn't hurt to take a look that's for sure.

I am about to pull the plunge on the PC Micro Pinner I guess. I've seen a couple of no-name brands for the $60 range, but The Senco and PC are much, much better and safer bets. I find the PC for $124 and will get Amazon to price match. The Senco could be bought for a tad less, but comes with no pins. I know what I can expect with the PC.

Tim Sproul
11-10-2004, 7:13 PM
I have the SB angled nailer. I like it a lot. Plenty of power, very lightweight, very reliable - even after taking a few tumbles from 6-7 feet up.

Only drawback is that you need to purchase SB nails for it as most other angled finish nailers use a slightly different angle on the magazine....the nails are not available in small quantities if you only have a little bit of use for it.....but then you should probably just use a good 'ol hammer if you're only shooting a few hundred nails.

aurelio alarcon
11-10-2004, 9:56 PM
I've had Craftesman's 15 gauge (straight) finish nailer and their 2" capacity brad nailer for about 7-8 years. They are extremely well made and I have had no problems. Great guns. I also have PC's Upholstry, Bigger 1/4" Crown staplers and they are really nice as well, and a Campbell Hausfield 1/4" Crown Stapler, and it is built like a tank.... all we're better built then the Senco ones in the this kit. I've looked at the Dewalt, but no experience with it at all but it wouldn't hurt to take a look that's for sure.

I am about to pull the plunge on the PC Micro Pinner I guess. I've seen a couple of no-name brands for the $60 range, but The Senco and PC are much, much better and safer bets. I find the PC for $124 and will get Amazon to price match. The Senco could be bought for a tad less, but comes with no pins. I know what I can expect with the PC.My Craftsman 2 inch brad nailer is also the older type. Your right, this is one solid built gun. I might add that I bought the brad nailer on Sears ebay site and got it for 40 bucks. I think that they sold the older models on ebay once the new magneseum models came out. But I did not like the new ones. The threaded female end of the gun that accepts the 1/4 male hose connector nipple is plastic. Probably doesn't matter, but it left me leary about buying it. I've also thought about a micro pinner. The PC seems to be a safe bet. Is it hard to get Amazon to do the price match?

aurelio alarcon
11-10-2004, 9:58 PM
I have the SB angled nailer. I like it a lot. Plenty of power, very lightweight, very reliable - even after taking a few tumbles from 6-7 feet up.

Only drawback is that you need to purchase SB nails for it as most other angled finish nailers use a slightly different angle on the magazine....the nails are not available in small quantities if you only have a little bit of use for it.....but then you should probably just use a good 'ol hammer if you're only shooting a few hundred nails.I looked at the SB, and it is nice too. Unfortunately, I did notice that the nails were different and this did discourage me somewhat. But I still haven't decided, so we'll see what happens.