PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #2 Black Walnut

Patrick Doody
03-21-2010, 9:35 PM
this is my second attempt at bowl making, made from a small black walnut log from my friend John's back yard. Turned on his Harbor Freight Lathe. Learned a decent amount on this bowl it's a bit on the thick side but not too bad, should be a functional bowl for years. Finished with a mineral oil/beeswax concoction. Critiques welcome, I'm sure I'm my own worst critic anyways.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4452140927_55374ae5a7_b.jpg

Roland Martin
03-21-2010, 9:41 PM
Nice piece of walnut and a nice functional bowl Patrick. Be carefull of the vortex, it's always at the ready for the next victim:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:42 PM
Patrick that is a very nice second bowl. Thick walls of 3/8" to 1/4" are very acceptable. I make most my utility bowls around 1/4".

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 9:49 PM
Much better than my second bowl by leaps and bounds.

One thing that I think would make the form more pleasing would be a more continuous curve... It's one of the most difficult things to do consistently.

You're off to a great start!

Patrick Doody
03-21-2010, 9:50 PM
the walls are probably 3/8" thick. so I guess on the thicker side of acceptable. :o

Gary Chester
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice second bowl. I agree with the comment about smooth curves, a little adjustment can make a big difference. I see some sanding lines... be sure to go thru all the grits. Keep up the good work.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Patrick, looks pretty good to me!! On the curve, it appears you may have been somewhat limited in the size of blank from which you started. That makes it difficult to get that fair curve.

Hard to beat walnut!! Very nice.

So, when are YOU getting a lathe???

Patrick Doody
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far! yes I was a bit limited on the size of log we started with but I have quite a bit of room for improvement on my shaping skills, I had a few deep catches near the bottom of the bowl when I was shaping the outside and i was trying to keep it as large as i could and shape it reasonably well. I should have given it a more thorough sanding, #3.

as for my own lathe, I'm waiting for 2 things, my tax refund and my birthday (apr 28) hoping to get a gift card or 2 to help out a bit. But I've settled on the Delta 46-460, and I've picked out all of the Accessories and gouges that I'm going to get as well(well for starters anyways).

brian watts
03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
nice bowl .....i have a small HF lathe and for the money it is very good . if it last me a year i will be happy. i turn about ever night on a call and like it so far..

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Looks pretty good to me!

All of us here can tell you from experience that everything gets easier the more you turn. Have fun with it! Play with the form/shape and see what it is that you like!

Looking forward to bowl #3!

Karl Card
03-22-2010, 12:29 AM
nice piece of wood and a good start.

One thing that I would like to state is that when turning you may ask if certain things are acceptable but remember that for the most part YOU are the artist, it is your work, and you have to be making it first to please yourself. Hope I said that right..lol

Patrick Doody
03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Great Comments all around! First off I can't wait until I get my own Lathe, I'm sure my skills will progress quite a bit faster when I can play around whenever I have some spare time. I also have a good list of things that I want to turn. spoons, calls, bowls, bird houses, lamps, table and chair legs. so i should be busy for quite some time.

I'll continue to post pictures of my projects/progress. Thanks All! Fun stuff.

John Tomasello jr
03-22-2010, 7:27 PM
Good job on your 2nd bowl, sounds like the vortex already sucked you in.