PDA

View Full Version : Built-in shelves for parents. Pics.

Matt Allan
11-08-2004, 1:32 AM
May remember me asking a few weeks ago about a way to support some open-ended shelves I was building for my parents.. Well after working out some ways to do it they deiced they liked the look of posts going down better anyway.. Would have been nice to just tell me that first, but alright.

Then I had 1 day to build and install the thing.. Carpet guy had some big thing and had to either get it in then or wait forever. So I had to dig up what lumber I had on hand, no time to pick up more stuff, so it had to be a lot simpler than I would have liked to build it but for a day I think it turned out alright. Especially after seeing how out of wack the walls where. Lot of tapered edges on top, both sides to make it fit right.

You can see from the first pic what was there. It was pretty dated and just not good looking, came with their house originally. The shelf spacing was kind of weird also, it had some bead board behind it as well as on the wall to the right. I ripped all that junk out. Another thing about it.. This was an old Amish built house. Any place one 1-inch nail would hold something, and two 2-inch nails would hold something for 100 years, these people used around 25 4-inch nails. The baseboard in their entire living area would survive anything, it was beyond annoying ripping it all out. Basically hard to crack it apart every few feet and pull the nails once the wood was beaten out. A tad bit over nailing, thanks Amish.:)

Sorry, my rant is over. 2nd pic is what it looked like once I FINALLY ripped the shelves out and a part of the baseboard.

Then the final pic which came out like junk, batteries died in my camera and I got 2 pictures out of it. This junky one was the best of the 2. Really looks nicer than the pic shows, even though it is very simple. Opened ended, each side in dados, columns all fit in mortised out slots and stopped chamfers on all corners of the columns. For having a day to get it all done and installed it's about as good as I can personally do. Top trim isn't installed yet since that wasn't necessary, they are still figuring out what they plan on doing with the ceiling anyway.

Steve Jenkins
11-08-2004, 6:52 AM
Looks good Matt. One suggestion. A little spray paint will do wonders to make that return air vent less obtrusive. Steve

Jim Becker
11-08-2004, 8:38 AM
Nice job, Matt. The open-end design worked out quite nicely. Agree with Steve about the vent...if you can make it "disappear", it will enhance your nice work even more.

Byron Trantham
11-08-2004, 8:44 AM
Matt, nice job. I sure your parents are very pleased. Don't listen to those Ya Hos, I think the vent adds 'character'. :D

Jim Becker
11-08-2004, 8:47 AM
Don't listen to those Ya Hos,
I do believe that I would be a "Damn Yankee" to you, boy...

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Looks really good. I think you may be able to find an oak drill some place or even make one to cover the hole. Sure would make it less noticeable. The shelf itself is really cool.

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
http://www.volko.com/oak%20grille%20eggcrate.htm

I am sure there are others.

Matt Allan
11-08-2004, 2:45 PM
Guess I should have mentioned that, already ordered an oak vent for it but it's on backorder and will take a few weeks even they said.. So for now they got the big hunky white one. Should look much better once the oak vent is installed.

Thanks for the tips though