PDA

View Full Version : "funnelmaster"

Roland Martin
03-21-2010, 9:16 PM
Brand new lathe, funnel improvement. Really great funnels can be turned with a 1642.
Inspired by Baxter's "Pot'O'Gold", I figured I'd try my hand at a cherry bowl/platter with a three-legged foot.
Got the foot hollowed out, shaped & sanded and the platter partially hollowed out before turning it around and mounting the foot in the cole chuck.
Couldn't wait to finish turning the inside of the platter so I could pull it off the lathe and create the legs.
Trouble is, for a minute, I actually believed I knew what I was doing:D!
Being such an experienced turner:D:D:D, LOL, I'll get this nice & thin, very successful there!:eek::eek:.
Decided that when I get a chance to get back on the lathe, I'll part off the piece of paper that's left and glue another chunk on top of the foot for a second chance.

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 9:21 PM
No pictures - didn't happen!:D Sorry it isn't really that easy.:) Good luck with it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:26 PM
Hope you can save it Roland.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 9:26 PM
Roland, at least you have "MORE POWER" when you spin those funnels!!:D:D

Jake Helmboldt
03-21-2010, 9:30 PM
Roland, I'm close to creating my first funnel on my new 1642 as well. A hickory bowl that I roughed out a couple months ago is giving me fits as I try to finish it. I'd gotten soooo close to getting the last bit of tearout taken care of when my scraper dug in. Argh!

I thought this fancy new lathe was supposed to make me a great turner:rolleyes:. I guess it just goes to show that its the wand, not the magician. Oh well, I'm still grinning like the Cheshire Cat using this thing. Enjoy!

Roland Martin
03-21-2010, 9:31 PM
:mad: I was kinda disgusted and figured I ought to stop for the night and cool off. I'll take a pic tomorrow before I part it off:). If I can get it fixed up by gluing on a new piece, assuming I can even do the legs, would that still qualify as my first successful turning on the new lathe?:D You're a tough act to follow Baxter!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2010, 9:59 PM
Remember Roland...now you have a VS funnelmaster!:rolleyes:

We have all done it Roland. Don't be too hard on yourself!

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM
It's just wood... There's more of it. Even funnels are fun to turn.

Steve Mawson
03-21-2010, 10:58 PM
All is not lost, just a new opportunity. I didn't make a funnel when I got a new hollowing tool but took the top off so same problem different end. Keep us updated, will be waiting to see what you make of it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Looking forward to seeing the completed piece! Remember - it's called a design opportunity!