PDA

View Full Version : Ne Edge Apple Platters

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 6:58 PM
About 3 weeks ago I roughed out some Apple and posted the roughouts. Someone asked me to post one that I had turned thin when it was finished so here it is. When I cut up the tree I had plans of making a winged bowl but the cracks from the pith went deep so this is all that was left.

13 1/2 x 1 3/4 to 3 x 7/16 Finished with Polymerized Tung Oil

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 7:04 PM
That's a beautiful platter, Baxter... Great color and a nice finish.

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 7:04 PM
Here is the only other roughout I turned thin. Another crotched winged bowl that wasn't to be.:)

11 x 3 x 5/16 Finished with Polymerized Tung Oil

Tony Wheeler
03-21-2010, 7:15 PM
baxter I really like them just as they are since that they won't hold soup you have real nice art pieces the only oroblem is the hand sanding which I hate on them

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 7:15 PM
Baxter, I like the second one much better!! Honestly, while there are many that are done very well, the winged bowls don't do much for me. But, I really like this piece. The NE rim really flows - very free form looking.

I would think this ranks way up there as some of your better work - maybe even gives the Pot of Gold piece a run!:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 7:27 PM
Nice work on both of these Baxter! For some reason I find the second bowl more appealing - can't quite put my finger on why - but it stands out!

Keep up the good work!

charlie knighton
03-21-2010, 7:29 PM
very nice....

Roland Martin
03-21-2010, 7:50 PM
These are both really great Baxter. I like the 1st one better for the color and the 2nd for the form. Great artistic pieces.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2010, 8:01 PM
Those are very nice pieces Baxter, though I think John is right about the free flowing form of the second one, I think the first one is very nice also, it is just a different form but equally well done, and the color is great, thanks for showing them :-)).

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:31 PM
Baxter both are beauties. The second one really appeals to me.

Maylon Harvey
03-21-2010, 9:40 PM
Really nice Baxter. The 2nd is my favorite.

Gary Chester
03-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah! I really like that second one!!

alex carey
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
i think i was the one who asked about that platter, turned out great, love the color.

gary Zimmel
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Very nice work Baxter.
On both pieces. However that second one appeals just a bit more to me...

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 8:32 AM
Really nice looking bowls there Baxter. I like the color contrast in that apple. Haven't turned any apple but my dad just cut one out of his yard so cutting blanks is on my list of things to do. Will the creamy white color in the finished piece stay close to that color over time or will it turn brown or darker over time like some other woods?

MIKE E BEE
03-22-2010, 9:21 AM
Nice looking stuff Baxter. I do like the look of apple but it certainly does not seem to be very turner friendly. As stated in my most recent post boiling it really helps. I also recently tried the minwax antique oil that you mentioned in one of your recent post and really do like it. I like the subtle sheen when mutiple coats are added. Any idea if it is food safe???? Just curious.
Great stuff!!

Keep on spinning em out!

Mike

Baxter Smith
03-22-2010, 9:59 AM
Really nice looking bowls there Baxter. I like the color contrast in that apple. Haven't turned any apple but my dad just cut one out of his yard so cutting blanks is on my list of things to do. Will the creamy white color in the finished piece stay close to that color over time or will it turn brown or darker over time like some other woods?

I don't think the sapwood will change too much but the reddish heartwood will become more of a brown. I think you will enjoy turning the apple.

Baxter, I like the second one much better!! Honestly, while there are many that are done very well, the winged bowls don't do much for me. But, I really like this piece. The NE rim really flows - very free form looking.

I would think this ranks way up there as some of your better work - maybe even gives the Pot of Gold piece a run!:D

The winged bowls first appealed to me because they looked like a challenge! I have tried 4 or 5 apple ones but can't say I really liked any of the ones I did. The warping has been pretty extreme! Did a couple that I was going to finish turn. Forget that!

Those are very nice pieces Baxter, though I think John is right about the free flowing form of the second one, I think the first one is very nice also, it is just a different form but equally well done, and the color is great, thanks for showing them :-)).
Thanks Leo. I agree with the 2nd being better with its continuous edge. The first looks chopped off. Which it is!:) Prefer the color on the first and I think both bottoms have nicer colors and patterns than the tops. With the top of the second one being the least interesting. Can't have everything!:)

i think i was the one who asked about that platter, turned out great, love the color.
Thanks Alex, glad you got to see it.

Nice looking stuff Baxter. I do like the look of apple but it certainly does not seem to be very turner friendly. As stated in my most recent post boiling it really helps. I also recently tried the minwax antique oil that you mentioned in one of your recent post and really do like it. I like the subtle sheen when mutiple coats are added. Any idea if it is food safe???? Just curious.
Great stuff!!

Keep on spinning em out!

Mike
Thanks Mike. I like the AO. On some woods I end up using 5 or 6 coats. The AO is food safe when cured. The polmerized tung oil I used on these seemed to get more of a gloss sooner.

Thanks for everyones comments!:)

John Tomasello jr
03-22-2010, 6:10 PM
Unique pieces very appealing to me, great job.