PDA

View Full Version : Red Mallee pen

Graham Sugar
03-21-2010, 6:13 PM
Hi all
Havent posted for a while have been a bit busy at work... All that comes to an end on this friday at 4.30 when I retire...
Any way I thought you may like to see this pen set it is a Cambridge kit wraped in Red Mallee finished to #1200 and 8 coats of Rustins plasti seal
love to hear your comments
Graham

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 6:39 PM
WOW that is one nice looking set you have there. I really like that finish. Is this a gift or are you making them to sale?

Allen Neighbors
03-21-2010, 6:48 PM
Wonderful job! Really a great looking set! Pat yourself on the back... you deserve it.
Congratulations on your retirement, too. You'll be busier than ever!! :D

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 6:54 PM
Congrats on the retirement, and you did a very nice job on the pen.

Graham Sugar
03-21-2010, 7:06 PM
WOW that is one nice looking set you have there. I really like that finish. Is this a gift or are you making them to sale?
Hi Roger
Thanks for the comments .. this set is sold to a gallery this is the third order for the same set this month.. this one is a gift for a co worker it is a Baron fountain pen from one of our desert timbers "pupple Gidgee" the finish is the same as the Mallee set
Regards
Graham

Pete Jordan
03-21-2010, 7:10 PM
Graham, the set is wonderful and a big congrats on your retirement!!!

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 7:11 PM
That is a beautiful set! About the nicest I have seen! Congrats on the retirment!

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 7:29 PM
Beautiful work Graham! I can see why they are selling fast!

Congrats on your retirement! Hope that means you will be posting more often!

Donny Lawson
03-21-2010, 7:55 PM
Graham,
. That is one of the nicest sets I've seen in a while.If it's not to much to ask about how much does a set like that cost to buy?
Donny

Graham Sugar
03-21-2010, 8:12 PM
Graham,
. That is one of the nicest sets I've seen in a while.If it's not to much to ask about how much does a set like that cost to buy?
Donny
Thanks for your comment Donny, selling this to a gallery I would charge around $100.00 australian if I was selling to an end user around the $190 --200 mark
Regards
Graham

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:25 PM
Beautiful set Graham.

Karl Card
03-22-2010, 12:32 AM
I love the wood and the finish. I have to ask what you finished it with and how.

John Terefenko
03-22-2010, 1:11 AM
Excellent job there sir. The kit is a perfect fit for that blank. Always loved that timber. Is that gift box from Timberbits??? I have been trying to get some of them but he keeps telling me they are out of stock.

Anyway congrats on the retirement thing also. You have to make yourself a retirement pen too. Good luck to you in your new future. :)

Graham Sugar
03-22-2010, 1:20 AM
I love the wood and the finish. I have to ask what you finished it with and how.

Karl Thank you for your comments
The finish is Rustins Plasticoat
I finish the blank to #800 and seal with nitroceluose sealer final cut with 1200 the blank is then put on a length of theaded bar with small turned tapers between blanks I put up to ten blanks depending on size on a bar I then apply 4 brush coats of rustins with about 20min between coats I use a small flat SOFT(5mm wide) artists brush and leave the rustins in the fridge between coats. The blanks are then left overnight to dry and then the whole bar is held in the chuck of the lathe with the other end supported by the live center turned at around 500 rpm and WET cut with #1200 just until I have a flat blemish free surface. A further 4 coats is applied in the same way and left for 2 days. I then put 2 blanks at a time on my A mandrell using the wood tapers as bushes starting with the pink pad in the acrilic finishing set lightly cut with successive pads finishing with the black then
A polish with rustins burnishing cream,Plastix and a final polish with a lycra pad
sounds a lot but as you can do 20 -30 blanks though the process at a time is is quite quick the finish is very hard and extremely long lasting...If I am in a hurry I will use CA/BLO but I feel the rustins is a better finish also it is very economical, to put 4 coats on twenty blanks I would only mix 6ml of rustins with 1.5ml of hardner I measure this with a plastic syringe (one for the rustins and a seperate one for the hardener)

Hope this is of some help if I can assist further let me know
Regards
Graham

Graham Sugar
03-22-2010, 1:26 AM
Excellent job there sir. The kit is a perfect fit for that blank. Always loved that timber. Is that gift box from Timberbits??? I have been trying to get some of them but he keeps telling me they are out of stock.

Anyway congrats on the retirement thing also. You have to make yourself a retirement pen too. Good luck to you in your new future. :)

John the box is avaiable from Trend Timbers of Mulgrave in Sydney's west
not sure if they do overseas orders but try their web site
http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/
Regards
Graham

Roland Martin
03-22-2010, 6:41 AM
That is an excellent set Graham, exquisite! Very nice work and hope you enjoy your retirement in good health.

Maria Alvarado
03-22-2010, 7:46 AM
Beautiful pens Graham, and congratulations on your retirement. I hope we will see you here more frequently! As the proud owner of one of Graham's pens, I can vouch for the beauty and quality of his finishing process.