PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade time

Thom Sturgill
03-21-2010, 3:34 PM
Well my Jet 1220 is acting up, I put a maple blank on it that was 12"dia and 3" thick. The motor is hunting and cutting off. Last time it did that the controller quit completely and Jet replaced it with one from a 1014. I thought 3/4hp would handle that piece.

I've been eyeing the Jet 1642EVS and guess I'll pull the trigger when I go to NC for spring break. I have to wait until then as I started a retirement account up there last fall and need access to part of those funds or have to wait until September.

I thought the 1220 would last me until I retire (somewhere between 6mos and three years from now) but decided not to wait. I can not use a 220 machine in my current shop so I will be buying the 1 1/2hp version. Now the question is - will it be cheaper to pick one up at Packard and pay state sales tax, ( I will be near there on spring break) or have Sean from Tool Nut ship one to Florida.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 3:56 PM
Sounds like a call to Sean!! I would certainly give him a chance to see what he can do for you! Would it not be worth running a 220 circuit to permit the bigger machine?

Mike Stephens
03-21-2010, 4:15 PM
I got some quotes from Sean this past week. I think he will be cheaper. I live in NY and his price with tax and freight was as good as the best price I could find.

I am going to pull the trigger on the 1642 2hp as soon as my income tax return gets here.

Good luck,
Mike

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 4:28 PM
It's worth a phone call to Sean to see what kind of a deal he can work out for you!

Looking forward to seeing your gloat - with photos!

Steve Mawson
03-21-2010, 5:32 PM
Wouldn't take too long to check out all the options-pricing. Most of us don't want to spend any more than we have to.

Thom Sturgill
03-21-2010, 8:34 PM
Sounds like a call to Sean!! I would certainly give him a chance to see what he can do for you! Would it not be worth running a 220 circuit to permit the bigger machine?

Unfortunately, I rent and the house has a carport. My 'shop' is across the road in my daughter's in-law's garage. (My Daughter, her husband and three kids live there year round, the SIL's parents are snow-birds.) They are willing to let me have the garage and even the power bill but draw the line at pulling a 220 volt line in even if I pay for it. I'm slowly moving equipment TO NC and storing them at the family home, which I've agreed to take over when I retire and after mom (she's 89) passes. Considering her health, I'm not sure which will be first, but the house has a daylight basement that will be the future shop. Ironic that I'm considering buying a lathe in NC moving it to FL only to have to move it back in a few years.

As far as Sean is concerned, I noticed that he's on the board, so I PM'd him. I suspect he *can* beat the price at Packard considering I'd have to pay NC sales tax, but I'll also check out a few other places on my route,

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:19 PM
I certainly would give him a call. You have nothing to lose.