PDA

View Full Version : 8 ft. turned oak post on a 42" lathe

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 2:59 PM
How do you get electricity to a half wall that is on a concrete slab and oh by the way you only have 42 inches between centers on your lathe?
First you build up 4/4 oak to over 5" with a small opening in the center. Then you cut it into sections small enough to fit on the lathe being careful to make your cuts at transition points if possible. Turn to the final shape and finish. Bring to the job and cut top to final dimension and assemble one section at a time while feeding the electrical wire from the attic above.

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 3:02 PM
Looks great - but your shop is WAY to clean! ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2010, 3:06 PM
I would guess you'd want that kind of shop to be clean Steve :eek: :D
Looking good Roger, well done :)

Curt Fuller
03-21-2010, 3:15 PM
Excellent idea and very well executed!

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 3:21 PM
I wish my shop looked that clean but it hasn't since the day I finished building it. The photo is of the house remodel in progress with the post installed.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 3:26 PM
Good thinking, Roger!! Nice work on the posts, too. This should end up being a very nice remodel.

charlie knighton
03-21-2010, 3:33 PM
very nice posts, what other ideas do you have for your remodel???

Roland Martin
03-21-2010, 5:24 PM
Ingenius and good looking. What more could you ask for?

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 6:22 PM
Thanks for the comments. Charlie the remodel is actually completed now, twice in fact. Got it completed just before a big storm hit and put the neighbors tree through the roof and into the bedroom. Originally this was a full wall that we wanted to open up and add bar seating. The photo is prior to adding the countertop between the post.

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 7:22 PM
Nice job. Ingenious!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 9:46 PM
Really nicely done Roger.

Robert McGowen
03-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like a well executed plan, Roger.

Bill Bolen
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Great remodel and an inventive idea. Now for the most important question! Did you get any wood from the neighbors tree after finding it in your bedroom!?...Bill...

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
William I was salivating like Pavlov's dog when I seen it. It was an old growth red oak that measured over 48 inches in diameter about 10 feet off the stump. Clear for about 16 feet and solid. The problem was it was up a pretty steep hill side in the back yard. If I could have managed to get a log started down the hill it would have rutted the yards pretty bad. If it managed to start rolling there is no way I could have stopped it and it could have rolled into the next house. No offence to Mr. Keeton but this guy is a lawyer and I like to stay on the good side of those guys. Besides I was working about 12 hours a day at that time and this was a house we had for our daughter while she was finishing out college and it is over an hour's drive down there. Sadly I had to let this one get away.

John Keeton
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
No offence to Mr. Keeton but this guy is a lawyer and I like to stay on the good side of those guys.Roger, that would be in stark comparison to a number folks I have encountered over the years that have threatened me bodily harm!!:eek::D;)

bob svoboda
03-22-2010, 2:19 PM
Excellent. Creative and beautiful. You will get many rave reviews on this project. Nice job!

Mark Hubl
03-22-2010, 3:25 PM
Nice job Roger. Good solution to the problem. Now being that you are in Chicago, you did put pipe down those columns, right?

Roger Bullock
03-22-2010, 5:22 PM
Nice job Roger. Good solution to the problem. Now being that you are in Chicago, you did put pipe down those columns, right?

Thanks again for all the positive comments. Mark my location does seem to confuse you guys in the north part of the state. I'm actually located about 70 miles east of St. Louis.

Mark Hubl
03-22-2010, 5:51 PM
Dah, saw Woodlawn and thought....never mind carry on.

Jon McElwain
03-25-2010, 1:09 PM
Great solution, although the better solution would have been a bigger lathe!! :D Good looking columns!