PDA

View Full Version : plans for paper pot maker?

Jim Underwood
03-21-2010, 2:59 PM
Anyone have plans for a paper pot maker?

I'm wondering how much clearance between the top and bottom pieces is needed to ensure a good crimp?

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2010, 3:15 PM
Anyone have plans for a paper pot maker?

I'm wondering how much clearance between the top and bottom pieces is needed to ensure a good crimp?

You mean this kind Jim ??, I don't think you need much of a plan for them, you could go by the knowledge that the pots will be 2¼"D, should give you something to go by.

Jim Underwood
03-21-2010, 3:24 PM
You mean this kind Jim ??

Yep, that's the one...

Mike Minto
03-21-2010, 6:05 PM
i just made one of these today. think i'll buy a lottery ticket. wierd.

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 6:55 PM
First I've heard or seen one of these, I've been rolling paper around a dowel and in folding the bottom.
Leo does the section you have the paper rolled onto have a recess in the bottom to match the base? I'm assuming the paper extends below and gets folded in? If not could you give more details. LOML has been after me to make a bunch of paper pots and I have been putting it off because the way I've did them in the past is a PITA.

Jim Underwood
03-21-2010, 7:37 PM
Roger, yes it has a recess in the bottom of the top that roughly matches the "bump" in the base. There are several gardening websites that show the process of making the pot- but sadly I don't find any plans anywhere.

I don't get Woodturning Design, but Jim Duxbury recently had an article published on the mag, so.... since I know him I axed him if he'd send me the plan. Got it in an email a little while ago.

The critical dimension is how much clearance is between the bump and the recess. Apparently about a 1/8th of an inch (off the diameter) will work.

I'll try to make one tomorrow. It's gotten too late to do it today...

Joe Herrmann
03-21-2010, 7:55 PM
Jim Duxbury wrote an article for Woodturning Design Magazine about making something similar in Issue #17.

Joe

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2010, 8:31 PM
Yes there's a recess Roger, nothing very critical, if the paper is a little damp it works better, but the recess is what helps the pot to keep it's shape.
The paper is folded under and then pressed into shape, the amount of paper you roll onto the shaft has to be able to fold into the recess, so you don't need much room for that.
just make one and see if it works, you can always open the recess a bit or even make a new one, it doesn't take much time or wood do do :) :D