PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick

George Summers
11-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I am making a jewelry armoire for my daughter for Christmas. You know, the one that sits up on a stand with cabrole legs, nine drawers high with two right angle doors that close to the front. Well I have been fitting the doors and adjusting the hinges/mortices so the doors fully close and are level with each other. Well tonight I thought I had the hinges right and lifted the drawer section with the doors attached up onto the stand to double check everything. I reached down to the bench to pick up a square, the doors swung back, threw the drawer section off balance and then first thing I saw was the the whole section falling off the stand, off the bench and onto the floor. Broke one door, broke three edge bands where the hinges were fastened and put several nice dents in the wood. I think I can saw off the edge banding and put more on, I will try to steam out the dents, new hinges are called for as three of the originals are bent. But, I, even now, still have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had as I watched (in the proverbial slow motion) the unit fall to the floor.

George

Jim Becker
11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
OUCH! Sorry to hear about that accident, George. But I'm sure you'll be able to make things good as new...

Steve Clardy
11-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Guess you need a good flogging for that one George.:eek: Tisk Tisk.
I never done anything like that.:rolleyes:
Btw. Pic police will catch up with you. Need some in progress pics please.:D

Steve:)

John Miliunas
11-07-2004, 10:17 PM
George, you description of the event made me cringe way over here! I'm sorry to hear about it, but it sounds like you've already got a solid plan to get it back in shape! Best of luck with it. :cool:

Ted Shrader
11-07-2004, 10:24 PM
George -

Wow. Sorry to hear of the accident. I'm sure you will be able to make repairs so no one will be able to tell. Unless you let it slip, that is.

Good luck with the fix.

Ted

Byron Trantham
11-07-2004, 10:33 PM
George,
Sorry to hear bout the accident. :mad:

I hope your repairs come out well.

Alan Turner
11-08-2004, 10:10 AM
My heart goes out to you, and yes, it has happened to me also.
Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2004, 11:56 AM
George.....my sympathies! You'll recover I'm sure!

Michael Stafford
11-08-2004, 11:59 AM
George, so sorry. I guess we have all had something similar happen. The best part about it is that you are the original maker and know best how to effect repairs. I'm sure you will fix it and no one but you will know where it was repaired. Take care and sorry for the problems...

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-08-2004, 1:14 PM
I am very sorry George. My wife calls me a wood fixer rather than a woodworker. I have to make repairs often. I will write a boo on how not to do woodworking.

Roger

Mark J Bachler
11-08-2004, 1:39 PM
Knock it off the bench again & call it distressed.

Sorry about the accident & the poor attempt at humor.