PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to buy glass for big mirror?

Cameron Reddy
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Wife wants a 42" wide by 30" tall mirror with a very rustic frame for our bathroom. This is the one she has seen and wants: http://www.potterybarn.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/products/201010/0018/img74l.jpg

Pottery Barn wants $500 for it. I'd like to make it but need a source for the glass/mirror. I suppose it would be nice to have the edges beveled, but I think the mirror would look just fine without the bevels. Arguably, it would be even more rustic.

Any sources?

It looks like rough sawn pine. You guys agree?

Thanks.

Cameron Reddy

Karl Card
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Personally id check with your local glass shop. I have researched our local ones here and found out which is best on price and there is a huge difference between them and the next guy , so it does pay to make a few calls.... hope this helps. I even go to glass shops to get the see out but cant see in mirrored glass.

Jamie Buxton
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Glass is heavy enough and fragile enough that it is generally a local business, not a web-based one. Check your Yellow Pages for glass shops. Or look in local retailers for a simple frameless mirror that is about the right size, and build a frame to suit.

Frank Drew
03-21-2010, 1:26 PM
Exactly as Karl and Jamie suggest -- look in the Yellow Pages for a local glass shop. But if there's nothing close, the internet will turn up maybe a million hits for "mirror glass".

And don't build your frame until the glass arrives!

glenn bradley
03-21-2010, 1:42 PM
I go to the local glass shop. I adjusted the size I used based on the price being half if I didn't have it custom made. Beveling skyrockets the cost as well so that became a "design adjustment". What they have in stock is quite reasonable around here.

Paul Ryan
03-21-2010, 2:35 PM
As others have stated go to a local glass shop. We have a 60"X36" mirror in our master bathroom with a beveled edge that I paid about $75 for from a local glass shop. I couldn't believe it was so cheap.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-21-2010, 5:05 PM
I''m sure a local glass shop will be the cheapest route. Even if they have to order a mirror and act as a middleman their shipping cost will likely be a fraction of what you would be charged. Once they have the mirror you might check on taking the frame to them and letting them install the mirror unless there is a sizeable charge for it.....the glass shop might do it 'gratis'.

Dave Lehnert
03-21-2010, 5:48 PM
As others have said. Standard item stocked by a glass shop.
Not sure of the largest size they stock but I get mirror glass cut at Lowe's.

Neil Brooks
03-21-2010, 5:55 PM
Ayup.

Local glass shops do this.

Note: the last one I bought was about $60 for the glass, *and another $60* for the bevel.

Good thing you're not married to the bevel idea....

Jeffrey Makiel
03-21-2010, 5:56 PM
I've been knocked out of my socks by the prices quoted by glass shops in the past for custom mirrors that have either beveled edges, or have a curved shape. What I recommend is to buy an inexpensive stock vanity from somewhere like Target or Home Depot, remove the mirror and toss the frame, then design and build your frame accordingly to fit the mirror.

It may seem wasteful, but I've found it to be a whole lot more economical.

Good luck,

-Jeff :)

Brian D Anderson
03-22-2010, 8:28 AM
I agree . . . the glass companies tend to charge a premium for bevels and curves. I made the attached mirror last summer.

It's about 4 feet by 6 feet. They wanted about $90 for an 1/8 inch thick mirror. Double that for 1/4 inch. If I wanted a bevel, I would have to get 1/4" and the price jumped to $300-400. And if I wanted the curved arch it would have been around $500 just for the glass.

So what did I do? Went with the 1/8", added a 1/4" hardboard backer, used a rectangular rabbet and just arched the top piece of wood.

Sometimes your local craft store will be cheaper that the glass companies (Hobby Lobby, Michael's . . . etc.) So shop around.

-Brian

Lee Schierer
03-22-2010, 9:20 AM
Two routes to take for your mirror. First check out the local retail stores like K-mart, Walmart, etc. Sometimes they have large beveled glass mirrors for a cheap price. If you can find on the right size it will save you over your local glass shop. Otherwise your local glass shop can get the mirror made for you with the beveled edge for a good price.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
+1 on buying a mirror and building a frame to fit. I've done that a few times and its made for a pretty inexpensive but custom mirror. Meijer, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, K-Mart, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Bed Bath and Beyond are all local sources I can think of. Maybe even check the Re-Use Center and Habitat ReStore. You can even send her out to find the mirror in a size she'll be happy with.

Neal Clayton
03-22-2010, 8:19 PM
before you buy new, you might check the antique stores around town too.

old mirrors (80-100 years ago, plus) like most other things, are alot more substantial in many cases than newer ones. all of the original ones in my house are a solid 1/4" thick.

Cameron Reddy
03-22-2010, 9:47 PM
Fantastic everyone! Matt, I forwarded your answer to da Wife. She was very thankful for the list of local stores. As a result of the many suggestions to call a glass store, I know she is calling Henderson Glass to get a quote.

You guys are great!

Cameron Reddy

Michael Weber
03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Check your local Habitat for Humanity Restore. I picked up a 1/4 inch think 45 inch by 36 inch mirror for 20 bucks I was going to use for a dressing room mirror. Then the wife and I stopped at a TJ Maxx store. They had a huge selection of framed beveled mirrors for little money. Got a nice one for $39.00. Guess I'll donate the first one I purchased back to the Restore.

Karl Card
03-23-2010, 4:37 AM
I've been knocked out of my socks by the prices quoted by glass shops in the past for custom mirrors that have either beveled edges, or have a curved shape. What I recommend is to buy an inexpensive stock vanity from somewhere like Target or Home Depot, remove the mirror and toss the frame, then design and build your frame accordingly to fit the mirror.

It may seem wasteful, but I've found it to be a whole lot more economical.

Good luck,

-Jeff :)

something along that same note is check the salvation army stores, etc in your area for used mirrors. I check here for pictures that go for 1.00 and use the frames.. just a thought.