PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Cutters

Allen Neighbors
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Roger Bullock sent me a PM asking about the biscuit cutters I mentioned on another post. I got the idea from a friend that I met at the Craft show in CO.
Here are some pics of a few of the first one's I made. You can see a chip out of the edge of the cutter in the second pic. I chipped it on the rocks, but took the pic anyway, to show someone else how they were made. My wife grabbed this one, and wouldn't let me burn it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Cutters - that's a first for me! Pretty cool idea and a nice variety of forms! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Roger Bullock
03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the post and photos Allan. I really like the idea of turning a useful object and this fits the bill. I would even bet that a few of the guys that go to the craft shows end up adding a few to their tables before too long. OBTW nice job and I like the different styles and woods you used.

bob svoboda
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Very cool. Dumb question-what is the purpose of the holes? :confused:

David E Keller
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
They look nice... How well do they work? I'll definitely make one if they work pretty well. I'm assuming the drill holes allow for venting so the dough will release from the cutter.

Chris Rae
03-21-2010, 1:09 PM
Very cool idea! They look great too!

Charlie Reals
03-21-2010, 1:09 PM
Those are very nice Allen. I just showed the other half and she loved them I think I know what to make her for her BD. Thats not a hint for more biscuits . Thanks for sharing those.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2010, 2:16 PM
Those are nice Allen. Thanks for the idea.

Allen Neighbors
03-21-2010, 4:27 PM
You're all welcome... thanks for looking.
Mr. Keller's right... the holes allow the dough to drop out of the cutter cavity.
And they do work, very well. I make different sizes... from about 3.5" down to about 2.5".

Curt Fuller
03-21-2010, 4:45 PM
Very cool. Dumb question-what is the purpose of the holes? :confused:
I wondered about the holes too. I'm guessing they're because the biscuit dough seals the cutter and would create a vacuum making it had to get the biscuit to drop out.

That's a neat little project and something that would probably sell well.

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 4:54 PM
Allen, I have a bunch of daughters and DIL that would love one of these!! Thanks for posting!

Steve Mawson
03-21-2010, 5:29 PM
Really nice and a great useful project. I wonder how many people still make biscuits. These would sure beat a water glass. I once made a butter mold but never any biscuit cutters. Thanks for the idea.

Allen Neighbors
03-21-2010, 6:39 PM
I wonder how many people still make biscuits.

True story, Steve: At the craft show in Colorado, I had several of these set out by a little sign that said, "Biscuit Cutters - $15 ea". The place was fairly crowded, and a Woman walked up to the counter... with her were a married son and dil, her husband, and her Mother. Her husband picked up one of the cutters, made a great show of looking at it from every angle, and then says, loudly, to his wife, "I just can't understand how the H--- this thing will open up one of those cans." She slapped at him, and it brought the house down.:D

Richard Madison
03-21-2010, 6:41 PM
Nice work Allen, and thanks for the reminder. Was asked to make some of these several months ago and completely forgot about it. What finish do you use?

John Keeton
03-21-2010, 6:42 PM
Allen, perhaps a better nomenclature would be "cookie cutter.":D Surely, folks still make cookies??:confused:

I have a special recipe for gingerbread cookies that I make every year for Christmas. I have passed along the recipe to my kids, and several of them make them as a tradition. I think I will turn some of these and name them "Keeton Gingerbread Cutters" :D;) At least, then they will know what to do with them!!

Baxter Smith
03-21-2010, 7:17 PM
Great idea Allen. Since my both my wife and daughter make buttermilk biscuits (and sometimes I do too:)) I will have to turn a couple of those.
Thanks for sharing.

Allen Neighbors
03-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering, Richard. I've been out of internet service for the last few days.
I finish the outside with the lacquer wash, and just buff the inside, leaving it bare wood.
If it's used, the oils will take care of the inside.... and if it's just a dust collector, it won't matter that the inside is unfinished. :)

Richard Madison
03-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks Allen. These should be popular with my wife and some of her friends.

neil mackay
03-27-2010, 4:25 AM
Good one Al, although down under almost nobody bothers to make biscuits much. Too slow for our instant society :D

Karl Card
03-27-2010, 4:32 AM
biscuit cutter, when i saw that I was kind of thinking of how biscuits have anything to do with turning, i mean wouldnt that be in the flat wood section..you know the biscuit joinery...lol..

That is very cool and I think I know what some of the women folk are getting for Christmas this year...

Allen Neighbors
03-27-2010, 5:55 PM
Right, Neil... same here... too easy to buy the can. But women buy them to sit on the what-not shelf. I guess. My wife's sits on one. :D

Chris Hayes
03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
One word summed up my initial thoughts (and I make boatloads of biscuits) -- Brilliant!
Now I'm going to have to make some...

Thom Sturgill
03-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Very good. The LOML saw the pictures and immediately said 'I want a set, differrent sizes'